• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router capable 2gig speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

I went from 500Mbps spectrum internet to a new 2 gigs fiber optic internet. My nighthawk RAXE500 router only capable deliver 1gig wifi. I should be getting the router in the mail from the internet provider for an additional $5 a month that support 2 gigs speed wfi. I want to buy a router capable of 2gig or more but I don't know what brand or model. Can any of you give me some advice? Thank you.

Last edited:
Wifi 7 and WiFi 6e are most likely what your looking for.
There's 4 brand names or so producing them ASUS Netgear etc....

A quick search of Newegg and Amazon should bring them up.

Last I checked they were above $500 so I can't speak on experience or a specific model.

Extra valuable features include Link Aggregation and 2.5G ethernet ports

I see you guys mentioned wifi 6e. My high end RAXE500 is wifi 6e router. But it not capable deliver more than 1gig. I checked the firmware is up to date. Maybe I just better to pay $5 more month to use their router which is already on the mail because I am lazy go picking it up today.

I just look at those routers you guys referenced here look about the same as RAXE500 ROUTER to me. Can you please help me look at RAXE500 if I missed something here.

Last edited:
First thing to do would be to check your existing Wifi 6e router Administration Page for LAGG enabling options.
There may be a feature in there to enable Link Aggregation of 2 x 1Gb ethernet ports

Ah. I think I see the problem. I went to Amazon to look at the specs of my RAXE500 Router. It has 4x 1g port and 1x 2.5g port. I think I might have use the wrong port. I should plug the ethnet cable to the 2.5g 1x port. The other 4x port support 1gig. This is why It cannot deliver more then 2gig.

Put your internet in 2.5 GbE port, Agg 3/4 for 2GbE wired. Or, Agg the internet and port 1, and use 2.5 GbE for wired 2GbE. Either way, it's 2GbE.
Screenshot 2024-03-12 230206.png

I am away from home. I will report back tomorrow. I want to thanks everyone for the help. This forum is freaking awesome. Always helped me got computer related problems solved.

ok. Here is what I did, login routerlogin.net and Select internet >> WAN Preference section>> Select Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1 Gbps) and click apply. The router reboot. As I can see the rebooting is finish and then I got a pop up eror. I though after this steps would have taking care of my problem. Then I go back start it over. www.routerlogin.net but this time I got a total difference page. WTF. How can I get back to my routerlogin so that I can make router settings change?

During the router reboot error caused me to see a totally different page. I've also try http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit enter. I got the this site can't be reached.

Attachments

• 2.5g 2.png
    2.5g 2.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I can't access my router, that mean I have to do a factory reset? If I decide to do it and the exact same name and password on the wifi as before. This way, all my home devices will be able auto log in fine?

After a factory reset youll need to login with the default username and password. The router should have a white sticker on the bottom or side that identifies the default username, password and ip address.

@BruceUSA
The most likely errors your encountering are both devices , your router and isp modem/router , are performing NAT and running dhcp servers.

Theres a couple different solutions.
1. Is put your ISP Routing in bridge mode which allows most all services and functions passed to your Personal WiFi 6e router.
2. Put your personal router as a bridge with NAT and dhcp disabled

What is the max speed your PC's/devices connect at? Even if you had 100Gb speed, a PC with 1Gb nic will only connect at 1Gb. It's like driving a F1 racecar at 30MPH
Spot on. Worth noting, his motherboard is 2.5GbE and WiFi 6e, so at least that can utilize the potential.

How does aggregation work? As in, the router may support 2 x 1Gb = 2Gb but what about the PC? I don't think you can just add a second 1Gb card and connect two wires and have 2Gb can you?

Most of my network is 1Gb but I do have 2.5 to my main machine, Unraid server and modem along with my pfsense and a cheap unmanaged TPLink 5-port 2.5Gb switch.

For me 1.2Gb to the modem
2.5Gb from the modem to the pfsense
2.5Gb from the pfsense to the 2.5Gb switch
2.5Gb from the switch to my machine and again to my server.

Everything else is 1Gb which is more than enough to stream and move general files around.

This is how I dealt with getting 2.5Gb in my house. Link aggregation is cool but I don't know enough about it.

How does aggregation work? As in, the router may support 2 x 1Gb = 2Gb but what about the PC? I don't think you can just add a second 1Gb card and connect two wires and have 2Gb can you?
Oh boy....yeah, he'd have to have two ports that aggregate on his end. :chair: (y)

You can aggregate multiple interfaces in any modern OS, but any single client/server connection will only leverage one link at a time, so a single application, depending on a couple things, will still only get up to 1Gbps. Aggregate, you can do multiple things and get up to 2Gbps.

Some examples...

Some game clients when pulling downloads may make multiple connections, some are P2P, so those will be split across your physical interfaces. If you have a NAS or the like, Samba will only use one interface as it only makes a single connection. There are ways to get Samba to use more than one connection, but that's another topic.

Back