• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choose Verizon 5G at Home instead of T-Mobile 5G Home Internet, Verizon tech is FASTER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Twenty+ years I had good luck to live in part of Kansas City first slated to try new technology called High Speed Internet.
Going from telephone modem to Road Runner, the cable modem service of Time Warner, was like trading in a donkey for car..

After I moved, I haven't had high speed internet due to cable companies providing a copper line instead of a fiber optic line to places just outside of the city limits.

I found out the hard way that copper lines max out at 6.1 Mbps which is 6.1 Mbps x 0.125 = 0.7625 MBps or 763 KBps - so 3/4 of a single MBps as shown in max download speed in browsers.

FINALLY this month 5G at Home Technology arrived. Just got my wireless home box from Verizon and tested it. Results:
Data transfer rate of 117.6 Mbps = 14.7 MBps

These figures are
117 Mbps mega BITS as shown in speed tests = 117 Mbps x 0.125 = 14.7 MBps mega BYTES as shown in browser download window.

Here's the deal:
Verizon 5G Home Internet uses ultrawideband 5G with average download speeds of 300 Mbps or 37.5 MBps. Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband network uses high band millimeter wave (mmWave) and mid-band (C-band) spectrum to deliver a top-of-the-line 5G experience.
whereas
T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is 100Mbps or 12.5 MBps. [Real life as low as 35Mbps or 4.38 MBps]
To offer wider availability, T-Mobile 5G Home Internet relies on its existing 4G LTE network. So it's not a pure 5G experience. T-Mobile appears to use a low-band spectrum to provide greater coverage with performance comparable to 4G LTE.

Therefore:
DO NOT GET T-Mobile 5G Home Internet!!!
Get Verizon 5G at Home instead.

Additional note:
Although Verizon's tech is faster - it is limited by obstacles. I measured
117 Mbps x 0.125 = 14.7 MBps when placing the box by the window.
and
38.4 Mbps x 0.125 = 4.8 MBps when placing the box in the middle of the house. So a 300% speed increase when removing obstacles. So Verizon's wireless 5G at Home internet tech is fastest when you place the box by the window.

EDIT: Actual rates using a 5GHz WiFi connection, instead of a 2.4GHz WiFi connection are 300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps !!
I did further testing. Ha, my internet speed exceeds the limits of Cat5 cables now!
Cat5 maxes out at 100 Mbps = 12 MBps.
Cat5e and Cat6 max out at 1,000 Mbps = 125 MBps.
Cat6a and above max out at 10,000 Mbps = 1250 MBps.

I used my cell phone's WiFi 6 connection to test the speed to be 300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps !!
I noticed a HUGE drop when switching my cell phone to 2.4GHz WiFi from 5GHz WiFi. I mean 2.4GHz is hitting less than 20% of speeds of 5GHz....

Last edited:
This feedback is consistent with what I've read online also. I'll be curious to see when Verizon's home internet can service my home, currently only T-Mobile home internet can.
I'm cautiously optimistic that these new players for home internet will cause traditional ISP's to drop prices.

Doesn't ATT own some or all of TMobile in the US? The same company that for years now has offered 5G Evolution that was basically 4G rebranded to make people think they had 5G. I'm not surprised they are still using their old 4G network but calling it 5G for home as well.

AT&T tried, but was not allowed to acquire T-Mobile, owned by German Deutsche Telekom.

Instead, T-Mobile merged with Sprint.

AT&T charged me more $ for Internet that is twenty times slower than Verizon. Run, don't walk away from AT&T whenever possible. I can't think of a more devious major company I have ever dealt with in my life.

T-Mobile and Verizon prices are now the same: $50 per month with Autopay or $60 without Autopay.

Verizon gives you a month free, T-Mobile some sort of a prepaid promo card.
Verizon also gives you a couple of months of Sling TV for free and things like Disney+ bundle for free for six months.
Verizon has click through cash back, T-Mobile does not.

Most importantly, as pointed out, you get REAL 5G with Verizon, if your area is covered...

T-Mobile covers more area in the US with their weaker signal. As time passes Verizon will cover more.

Last edited:
I did further testing. Ha, my internet speed exceeds the limits of Cat5 cables now!
Cat5 maxes out at 100 Mbps = 12 MBps.
Cat5e and Cat6 max out at 1,000 Mbps = 125 MBps.
Cat6a and above max out at 10,000 Mbps = 1250 MBps.

I used my cell phone's WiFi 6 connection to test the speed to be 300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps !!
I noticed a HUGE drop when switching my cell phone to 2.4GHz WiFi from 5GHz WiFi. I mean 2.4GHz is hitting less than 20% of speeds of 5GHz, I wonder why..

Seeing that there is a speed difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi, I went back to my desktop, which is not WiFi 6 [THANKS TO ASUS which ONLY made WIFI 6 on their PCIe cards available to Windows 10 and not available to my Windos 8.1 for not justified reason whatsoever, Windows 8.1 rocks on till at least 2023, sellouts...], so I have Asus WiFi5 PCIe card on Desktop plus I am on 2.4GHz on Desktop hitting
120 Mbps = 15 MBps.

whereas my cell phone's WiFi 6 is hitting
300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps.

My 5GHz Desktop connection is not visible for me to use it and test it to see if I can increase my download speed using 5GHz WiFi.

This year AMD5 is coming out, quantum leap in PC tech, so when I get it, I will retest.

Last edited:
Yup Rebooted into Windows 10 where 5GHz WiFi was visible and I hit 300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps speeds.

So thanks to Microsoft strong arming Asus to do what they can to make us abandon Windows 8.1, I couldn't hit the full potential of Verizon's 5G at Home Internet on Windows 8.1.
Verizon's wireless internet delivered 300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps speeds. Wow!

I contacted Asus. There is a more than a hundred percent speed increase when connecting using the 5GHz wireless option instead of 2.4GHz!
300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps is a dream, but only attainable if 5GHz wireless option is used.

I looked at Spectrum, a.k.a. Time Warner, and they offer "Up to 200 Mbps".

"Up to" is corporate speak for you're not going to get 200 Mbps in areas that are actually connected with their fiber optic cable.
So without using a fiber optic cable like Spectrum, Verizon managed to deliver full 300 Mbps over the air. The future is here! This is a technological historic feat for rural America.

Although Kansas City has Google Fiber at 2gb now, and last night on the news they said AT&T is offering 5gb in parts of Kansas City. I mean 5gb is what? 625 MBps incoming!? I mean you'd need a fast SSD to be even capable of writing at 5gb speeds coming in! There's no difference between a copy/paste and a download (!!!)

Still... if it's between having AT&T in your life and living in a cave.... I'd have to think twice..

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread.. those who can't get good enough cable are going to love it.... though I wonder if you can't get good enough cable, I wonder what the 5G uw coverage is like...

This year AMD5 is coming out, quantum leap in PC tech, so when I get it, I will retest.
What is AMD5? Quantum leap?

Athlon XP was a Quantum Leap for us, especially if you knew what the codes meant

and especially if you knew how to identify Thoroughbred B and beyond, overclockers forums and this [my page] happened to be the best page in the world at the time to do that:

For $49 you could overclock AMD to match Intel's much more expensive CPUs.

Depending on what you use your PC for, it helps to know when these quantum leaps in CPU tech are.
I upgraded from Athlon XP to Intel Skylake, a much bigger leap, than had I done so earlier. EDIT: I forgot I bought the first i7 CPU that ever came out after Athlon XP.

I still type this on my Skylake, because a comparatively big jump has not occurred yet, but it is about to: AMD Zen 4 on AM5 socket will be that quantum leap from my Skylake, bigger than AM4 or AM3 because it will offer not just an immediate upgrade in all around performance, but socket compatibilty for Zen 4 age.

Last edited:
The upcoming AMD CPUs (Zen4) will likely be a bit faster than the current Intel chips. If you believe this is a quantum leap over your skylake chip, then Intel's latest is too. Remember, Intel Z690 offers socket compatibility for its next-generation CPU too. So don't limit yourself to AMD with that thought. AMD isn't the price to performance king anymore. ;)

That said, I wouldn't hold my breath it will help in anything that isn't already out... for example, Wi-Fi 6E adapters which are commonplace on Z690, higher-end/refresh Z590 as well as X570/B550, may help versus your Wi-Fi 6, but, you're getting into things that are faster than the line can handle in the first place (does it matter if your hose can handle 5 GPM if your waterflow is only 1GPM?). The CPU isn't holding things back. Your Athlon XP could handle 5G interwebz/Wi-Fi 6E bandwidth without choking (even HDDs at the time were faster...). :)

It's too bad overclocking like that has gone the way of the dodo for the last couple of generations...headroom isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. :(

Thanks for pointing that out.
I mean AM5 and Zen4 are completely new architectures which are about to be released but have not yet been, and I haven't looked into this yet, but can you do a quick post and clarify whether someone has gotten a hold of them and tested them and compared them to Intel? [I don't know.]

My line is 300 Mbps = 37.5 MBps.
My local news said the other night that parts of Kansas CIty metro now have 5Gbps = 625 MBps incoming.

Can you also post what the numbers are for WiFi 6E vs WiFi 6.

So is z690/socket 1700/Intel's Alder Lake chips (completely new architecture).

The new AMD chips haven't been released. There's plenty of rumor news around if you look. It could be a significant uptick in performance (biggest Ryzen to Ryzen improvement, and faster than the current Intel chips), but it won't help networking as the CPU isn't a bottleneck and the platform won't include anything faster than 10 GbE and Wi-Fi 6E.

Looks like 6 has you topped out already (more bandwidth is in fast channels, not throughput). I'd be interested to see your testing on newer hardware, but it shouldn't make a bit of difference. Look at your CPU use, for example, when DLing something that uses all the bandwidth. If it isn't maxed out, then the CPU still has more to give.

My takeaway is that Intel is very much in the game still and that I need to watch what reviewers say when new tech comes out in the next few months.
It'll be looking at facts - I most certainly will look at what the math says which is faster..

Other factors are this: On the AMD side I see AM5 socket lasting longer, giving me the opportunity to upgrade longer, whereas Intel tends to change sockets all the time, and I don't like to change motherboards because new motherboard = new drive image and I spend a lot of time customizing my OS partition drive image, which is dependent on the motherboard chipset and is not affected by CPU upgrades.

I assume Intel still changes motherboard sockets like socks and AMD sticks with one socket for years?

I assume Intel still changes motherboard sockets like socks and AMD sticks with one socket for years?
AMD does tend to have more life in a socket, sure. But it depends on when you get in the game. If you jumped on Intel now, you'll have another CPU. When you jump on AMD when it comes out later this year, you should have at least two. Be sure you're doing actually doing that otherwise, it's not worth much. Also, the second chip after a huge refresh isn't typically a game-changer (looking at your skylake chip/board that supports Kaby Lake)... so again, be sure it's in the cards. From the outside looking in, at least with your last system, you ride a chip/platform out considering Skylake arrived 7 years ago.

Yeah, I customize too... not to your extent, but I do. Imaging a drive is nothing, even when upgrading chipsets. Hell, you can sysprep it and it's just as good as new (worked for me for a decade) too. Several ways to skin that cat...some more efficient than others.

Will overclockers be reviewing AM5 and Zen4?
Looking forward to getting informed data and making a smart choice.

I hear the launch is closer than anyone thought before.

I expect it to outperform Intel's current offering Alder Lake and I expect Socket AM5 to give me room for multiple CPU upgrades.
If previous statement is verified by your reviews, then I will be looking at whether to pull the trigger vs. how much info I can get on

Intel Raptor Lake: shipping late 2022
and
Intel Meteor Lake: shipping 2023

to get a clear idea which of the the three: AM5 Zen4 or one of the two Lakes, would be my six year cycle choice.

[Since Zen 5 is in some trouble due to yield issues at TSMC - but that's fine, Zen 4 is fine as a contender for me.]

Closer than anyone thought? I don't recall the launch being moved up... but it is a couple of months away, yes.

I can't imagine zen 5 in trouble at this point. Zen4 isn't in mass production yet... so how could 5 behind in yields when it's not being produced?? TSMC still has time to tweak. I understand capacity in some semi-con plants isn't there, but... we're a year+ away from this chip (and TSMC publically says it's OK so far). Read....
...but unless you're shopping for that in 2H 2023, it's meaningless for Zen4.

But yes, if you want to compare apples to apples, you'll look at raptor lake and zen4 later this year if that's when you are buying. :)

Last edited:
Back