• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 3168 wifi card failing with my Orbi Router..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvee

Registered
There is not that many options that I can change and I have spent a lot of time playing with settings .

Asrock uses the 3168 in about all their motherboards and the asrock desk mini's. I use only ASROCK Motherboards.

Symptoms: Setting in my room about 8-10 ft from the Orbi router it will fail almost every time. Will show connected, but no Internet access.

Iphones, Samsung phones and secuurity camera's all connect to the Orbi router with no issues.

I have sent a couple PC's home with people where I included an external wifi adapter in case they needed it because it would not connect with the 3168 at my house.

At their house the PC connected with the 3168 with no issue, and they returned the external wifi antenna to me.

If the PC here is in the next room of further away it will work all the time.

At the same time it won't work with the Orbi router, it will connect to CBT's Cincinnati Bell's router with no issue. ( Older router )

On the Asrock mini/itx motherboard the wifi chip sets in a little aluminum box that has the external wifi antenna connections for the back.

So today, I took one apart and replaced the Intel 3168 card with a Intel 7265 chip.

It worked first time and every time

After searching, several other people are having issues with the 3168 chip.

I am beginning to think that it's a rf shielding or interference issue within the 3168 chip or possible a voltage issue.

I unhooked the antenna's on a different PC with the 3168 wifi card to weaken the signal, and it came up and worked till I put the antenna's back on so Seems like signal strenght might be an issue.

Last edited:
Do you have a question, Pvee?

Seems like you answered it yourself from your testing? Have you updated the driver on the Wi-Fi card (from the Realtek website, not your mobo's website)?

Do you have a question, Pvee?

Seems like you answered it yourself from your testing? Have you updated the driver on the Wi-Fi card (from the Realtek website, not your mobo's website)?
That's the first thought that came to me. A driver issue. I have discovered that either the driver can be out of date or the most recent driver from MS updates can be buggy. Sometimes, rolling back the driver can fix issues like that.

Back