• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no internet access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

hello all.

My desktop PC always hardwired connect to the internet, cable connect from the router to the PC.. I unplug the ethernet cable from the PC and reconnect it directly to the modem, doing speed testing. Now, I am having this no internet access. I am now using wifi connection. Please look at the screen shot below.

Attachments

• internet screen.png
    internet screen.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 7
That shows no Internet on ipv6, are you using ipv6 in your network or your connection to your ISP?

when I plug my pc directly into my modem I always have to power cycle the modem to release ip address tied to the mac address of the router that is no longer connected, def wouldn't hurt to try that

Click the "start" button.
Type "cmd" and hit enter.
This should bring up a command window.
Type "ipconfig /release" hit enter.
Type "ipconfig /renew" and hit enter.

This should force your computer to get the proper IP form the moden/router.

That shows no Internet on ipv6, are you using ipv6 in your network or your connection to your ISP?
Here 2 more screen pic. My 2nd desktop is connected to hardwire and its working fine. So, its must be something in that computer needs to re-enable in the system?

Attachments

• b1.png
    b1.png
    25 KB · Views: 7
  • b2.png
    b2.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 7
I personally disable ip6 as I don't use it and, in the past, it caused things to slow down on my network. YMMV.

I think that the main issue is that your computer is getting it's IP through DHCP on the router. The router gets it's IP from the modem. When you unhok from the rounter then connect to the modem, things are out of whack. Using ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew can force the modem/router to reissue IPs based on DHCP.

As @=XAF=AfterShock stated, sometimes you have to power cycle the modem/router. Also, when power cycling, shutting down can be done in any order but shut down the moden and router and computer. Powering up you want to go in order. Modem first. Let it boot and settle in. Then the router. Let it boot and settle in. Then any computers or other devices. This will ensure that everything gets the DHCP IP they need to work together.

I personally disable ip6 as I don't use it and, in the past, it caused things to slow down on my network. YMMV.

I think that the main issue is that your computer is getting it's IP through DHCP on the router. The router gets it's IP from the modem. When you unhok from the rounter then connect to the modem, things are out of whack. Using ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew can force the modem/router to reissue IPs based on DHCP.

As @=XAF=AfterShock stated, sometimes you have to power cycle the modem/router. Also, when power cycling, shutting down can be done in any order but shut down the moden and router and computer. Powering up you want to go in order. Modem first. Let it boot and settle in. Then the router. Let it boot and settle in. Then any computers or other devices. This will ensure that everything gets the DHCP IP they need to work together.
I am confused but why the hardwired connect to my 2nd desktop PC is working fine? or because I did not unplug the 2nd desktop, that is why the 2nd desktop is working?

I am confused but why the hardwired connect to my 2nd desktop PC is working fine?
You didn't plug the second PC directly into the modem to do a speed test. The 2nd PC is still getting the IP from the router. The issue is IP addressing and is caused by omitting the router for testing purposes. Nothing wrong with that but steps have to be taken.

You didn't plug the second PC directly into the modem to do a speed test. The 2nd PC is still getting the IP from the router. The issue is IP addressing and is caused by omitting the router for testing purposes. Nothing wrong with that but steps have to be taken

Click the "start" button.
Type "cmd" and hit enter.
This should bring up a command window.
Type "ipconfig /release" hit enter.
Type "ipconfig /renew" and hit enter.

This should force your computer to get the proper IP form the moden/router.
ok. I am going to try over the weekend. Thanks so much.

Back