• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding a New Switch - Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Need help here...

I have my modem and my network switch both connected to the only 2 ports on my the Google Wifi router you see in the pic. The blue ethernet cable is from the switch in my basement. I need to add another switch in order to add a network external HDD to my house. What is the proper arrangement here when adding another switch but in this cabinet? I can't connect the new switch to the current one as it's all full.

Attachments

• PXL_20221030_183154739.jpg
    PXL_20221030_183154739.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 9
Just put a 5 port switch between the Wifi router and the wall and plug the NAS (network external HDD) in to the switch.

googlewifi.jpg

I got switches all over my house, 1X16 port switch, 3X5 port switches and 1X8 port switch.
I'm using 1 port from my router to the 16 port switch (using 6 out of the 16 ports) 4 ports go to the wall to the other 4 switches.

Last edited:
Just put a 5 port switch between the Wifi router and the wall and plug the NAS (network external HDD) in to the switch.

View attachment 359687

I got switches all over my house, 1X16 port switch, 3X5 port switches and 1X8 port switch.
I'm using 1 port from my router to the 16 port switch (using 6 out of the 16 ports) 4 ports go to the wall to the other 4 switches.
I'll give it a shot and report back.

You know, you could put the new switch in the basement and connect it to the other switch, just unplug 1 of the devices you have on the old switch and plug it in the new switch then plug the new switch to the old switch then plug the NAS in to the new switch. Ether way will work.

I would take that wire from the basement and connect it to a new switch. Connect the Modem, NAS and WiFi to that same switch to make it simple and neat.

A 5 port switch would leave you with one port to spare but an 8 port switch would give you room to grow.

I would take that wire from the basement and connect it to a new switch. Connect the Modem, NAS and WiFi to that same switch to make it simple and neat.

A 5 port switch would leave you with one port to spare but an 8 port switch would give you room to grow.
But would that bypass the router? I'm assuming the modem is just a modem, that then needs to go to the Wifi router then a switch. Hey JD, I hope we are not confusing you :)

He can put a switch anywhere after the modem, really (because before the modem it wouldn't work). If you want it managed by the rules/router, put it after the router.

I had to do a lot of research on this Google WiFi router thing. If it were me, I would set it up like WhithawkEQ shows. Modem > Router > switch > other stuff (Basement)

It probably makes no real difference but to me it stream lines the path of the packets. I simply mistook the WiFi in Whitehawks diagram to be a WAP when it is the router.

Both should work.

Apologies.

So everything is working now, which is great, but when I go to check on the Western Digital My Cloud dashboard via Chrome or the installed dashboard program I get an error stating, "This site can't be reached."

I would guess that the WD NAS is not configured for your network. You can try various settings but you might find it quicker to do a factory reset and merge it into your network according to thier instructions.

The first thing to try would be to ensure that the network cable is good and well seated on both ends.
Next, power cycle the NAS.
See if the NAS has a "soft" reset.
If none of those work, consider the factory reset.

Back