• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering Switching from Spectrum Cable Internet to Frontier Fiber

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
OK - Spectrum just raised my rates again by $15...kind of done with them.

My current plan with Spectrum is:
  • 500 Mbs down / 20 up Mbs (get 650 down / 25 up)
  • Telephone landline (old school - was for security system, but security system also has cellular backup)
  • Total: $124.98 (including taxes)

I can get Frontier Fiber in my area:
  • Option #1:
    • 2 Gbs up/down: $99.99
    • Landline Phone: $25.00
    • Total $124.99 (before taxes)
  • Option #2:
    • 1 Gbs up/down: $59.99
    • Landline Phone: $25.00
    • Total: $84.99 (before taxes)
  • Option #3:
    • 5 Gbs up/down: $154.99
    • Landline Phone $25.00
    • Total: $179.99 (before taxes)
Obviously, the 1 Gbps up/down is a no brainer.

My main router is a UniFi Dream Machine Pro...can route 3.5 Gbps, so only Option #1 and #2 are in play.
  • "Backbone" switch off main router is all 10 Gbps ports
  • Current connection between router and backbone switch is 10 Gbps SFP+

My questions:
  • Do I really need a landline?
    • I don't think so...I am pretty sure my security system can run only through cellular...will confirm
      • Edit: confirmed - do not need landline
    • The only thing I really use the land line for is occasional faxing (may 2 or 3 times per year)
      • Is there another way to fax without a landline?
  • With the phone out of play, the 2 Gbps option is great for price...is 2 Gbps needed vs 1 Gbps?
    • Only me, wife, and stepson in the house
    • The only time I max out current connection (at 650 Mbs) is when I am downloading games
    • Streaming TV/Netflix/Etc. is not an issue with 500/20 connection
What are your thoughts? Appreciate any input!

Last edited:
Is there another way to fax without a landline?
Yep. Loads of free software that can do it. Not sure if the built-in Windows Scan and Fax can send to phone #s or not. I honestly don't think I've faxed anything for years at this point.

is 2 Gbps needed vs 1 Gbps?
From your use case, I'd say No. I'm about the same, but have two kids who play online games. 1GB is fine for me.

Option 2 still gives you a notable speed increase, and it's less expensive.... here's to hoping their service is solid for you.

PS - I haven't had a land line in well over 10 years... all good.

Last edited:
I gave up the landline years ago with no problems since so no you don't need it. It takes a little leg work at first getting all your accounts and contacts updated but after that no difference. You might double check if its a requirement for the prices though.

I'm on Spectrum so I can't speak on fiber other than to say someone at my office just removed ATT fiber from her house because of signal quality. It wasn't losing connection but it was having some packet loss that was causing her VPN to lose connection. She tried for days and days to get ATT out to replace the line to her house but they wouldn't unless she paid for the visit. After the switch she has no problems. I' don't know Frontier's policies but you might check on service calls prices too.

I use under 1g at my house, I think its 900up/2down but not sure. Regardless I have 5+ TVs 3 gaming pcs, 4 phones and a tablet or two running pretty much all the time and see no problem with speed so I say go for the 1g.

Agreed with the others that 1Gb is likely perfectly fine. If you aren't doing a lot of cloud backups/restores/etc then anything above 1Gb would likely be wasted, not including the need to probably upgrade at least some portion of your home network (not including your UDM Pro which you mentioned will support any of the speeds listed (saw someone mention having a UDMPro and can do 5Gig up and down).

Personally, I'd probably to go the 2Gb or so, but that's more for the Flex and the excuse to upgrade my home network to multi-gig lol

Thanks for the feedback folks...appreciate it.

Will most likely go with the 2 Gbps service. One thing I learned is that you always need more internet speed as the years go on.

The network can handle the speeds..."backbone" is all 10 Gbps connections (main PC, 2 servers, NVR) with 10 Gbps SPF+ connection to UDM Pro router. I have IPS/IDS turned on, which limits routing speed to 3.5 Gbps.

Main switch that feeds the whole house is 2.5 Gbps ports, and uplinks to "backbone" switch at 10 Gbps. Most devices on this connect at 1 Gbps, with the 3 APs connecting at 2.5 Gbps.

The only other "power user" is my stepson, and he has a 2.5 Gbps link to the main house switch.

Frontier.jpg

Got everything connected yesterday...currently getting:
  • 2.2 Gbps down
  • 1.6 Gbps up
It's a good thing I wired the whole house with CAT 6 a number of years back:
  • Cable connection is on East side of house (the distribution box is at the SE corner of my property)
  • Fiber connection is on West side of house (the distribution box is at the SW corner of my property)
  • ONT is connected in garage
  • Wired connection from garage to patch panel
  • Jumpered the patch panel to bring into main router
Still have Spectrum (haven't canceled yet)...setup as the secondary WAN right now.

Very happy!

Back