• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high temp with stock cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vcb003104

Alright guys, so I just build a new computer with an i5 2400,, been playing some games lately like crysis 2 and black ops. The thing that bothers me is that the CPU temp is idling at around 40 to 43 and goes to around 78 when i'm gaming. When I run prime 95 for like 5 min it shoots up to around 80 so I stop the test...
I'm using the stock heatsink and fan with a coolermaster thermal paste... (the black one :shrug:)
currently using a 2themax case (its middle tower with 185 (W) x 445 (H) x 460 (D) mm) i'm currently in Hk and its summer so the room temp is around 30C I think,

so I'm just wondering if I should change the heat sink, if so which one?:shrug:

oh and there're 2 120mm fans on the side of the case... so I'm not sure if it can fit a heatsink that is too tall....
thx guys, appreciate it :cool::cool:

lol the GPU is actually doing pretty good... its a asus 550 TI idle at 35C gaming at 50C....

any tips on choosing the aftermarket cpu cooler?? I'm not sure if it can fit the case. :D

Considering you've got a i5 2400 that can't be overclocked. I'm going to recommend the same cooler I always recommend for a cheap Sandy Bridge Solution... the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It'll keep it cool and quiet enough, especially for something you can't OC.

PS: The cooler's max height is 159mm. So perhaps measure and check yourself?

Another alternative is:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Fairly cheap, and like I said, considering you can't OC that chip anyway, the temps you're seeing are probably the highest it'll ever get. So any low-end aftermarket cooler should be fine. The stock intel heatsinks are fairly poor. (This heatsinks max height is 122mm. So it'd easily fit without any issue).

Sandy bridge runs fairly cool as it is as well. So ya.

Last edited:
Ye I thought of the 212 plus~ but the thing is, I'm not sure if it can fit inside the case... the height of the 212 plus is around 16cm but my case is only 18.5 cm wide... and there are two fan attached to the side panel.... so that'll take some space away as well...

question: How would you guys know if a heatsink will fit your computer?? do you leave like a certain amount of distance between the height and the width of the case/cooler to make sure that the case can be closed? <-- lol I know it sounds weird.. I don't know how else to put it

thanks guys~

Ye I thought of the 212 plus~ but the thing is, I'm not sure if it can fit inside the case... the height of the 212 plus is around 16cm but my case is only 18.5 cm wide... and there are two fan attached to the side panel.... so that'll take some space away as well...

question: How would you guys know if a heatsink will fit your computer?? do you leave like a certain amount of distance between the height and the width of the case/cooler to make sure that the case can be closed? <-- lol I know it sounds weird.. I don't know how else to put it

thanks guys~

You might run into issues with the Hyper then yeah.. But look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. Not the best cooler; but definitely cheap and for your needs; probably all you'd need!

Back