• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 7xxx series release, which cards will we see first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zitnik

Hey everyone.

So I wanted a new GPU for BF3. I was going to wait for Nvidia's 6xx series cards and purchase one of those, but I think Nvidia won't be releasing their new cards until 2012, but I do know AMD is supposed to have their new cards out around September-October. Anyways, is AMD releasing the Enthusiast cards first? I would love to get my hands on a Radeon 7990, their new dual-GPU since AMD makes way better dual-GPU cards than Nvidia. If anything I'd also consider going Crossfire with their highest end single-GPU card.

Also, is there a way to get PhysX working with an AMD card? Any sort of tweak or anything?

You wont see a 7k series any sooner than q4 2011. And as far as the 7990, you wont see it til 2012.

I assume the 600 series from Nvidia is further behind than that.

If you really need an upgrade grab another 570 and sli it.

What resolution are you playing at? If it's 1080p or below then a single GTX570 should be plenty of power to play BF3 maxed out with good frame rates.

Yea, I doubt the 7990 will be out anytime soon. It will probably be around March 2012 or so. But by the time you can actually get your hands on a 6990, the 7990 will probably be out.

I'd happily get a second GTX570 but my motherboard only supports Crossfire :mad:

To technically have dual Nvidia cards I would need a GTX590, but if I were to get a dual-GPU card I'd stick to AMD/ATI since they make the better dual-GPU cards. If I go for single GPU I go with whoever is currently making the faster cards.

@SMOKEU, I play at 1680x1050

I doubt you will have any issues running at 1680x1050 with a single 570, if you were pushing 1080/1200p+ then I think it would be more necessary but as it comes down we will just have to wait and see how benchmarks look on realistic/average PCs.

Back