• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HX650 full sleeve

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallica

I have an older HX650 I bought almost 2 years ago. I'm planning on building a new Bulldozer system mid next month. Until then, I'd like to sleeve this PSU with white sleeve. I want to fully sleeve the PSU, each individual wire. I know MDPC takes a while to ship, so I want to order it now. How many meters would be sufficient for this PSU?

Depending on the density of the weave, color may show through. It all comes down to what you buy. A heavy/tight weave is going to be more expensive due to the increased material cost, but little to no color shows through.

I have no idea why someone would say that you need to wrap the wire in tape, unless they mean in the way it aids the installation of sleeving onto large bundles of wires; which is true. You don't leave the tape under the sleeving for the final installation. That would look horrible and waste a ton of materials.

The total sleeving cost will simply be the length of each wire added up. For example, if there was 24" of wire on the 24 pin ATX connector, you'd need 48 feet of sleeving if you did the wires individually. As you can see, this will add up quickly.

Depending on your case and the PSU's positioning, have you considered the lazy method of just ordering Bit Fenix whtie extention cables?

Hmm, thats pretty nice. I could just sleeve the main cluster of wires coming from the PSU with white sleeving, and then use those. thanks for the idea!

Have you heard about parachord? It's a chord for things (such as parachuting) so it's very strong and durable, but inner core fibers can be removed and the exterior colored part can be used as sleeving. Since it's used for outdoorsy stuff which requires a durable cord, the sleeve is well built (not transparent mesh).

With that particular sleeving I couldn't see the black of the cables through it.

Back