• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading from a 5850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello guys,

I was considering upgrading from a 5850 to a 6950 and was wondering if you thought this was worthwhile? I generally game on a 30" monitor running at max resolution (2560x1600). A lot of what I'm reading suggests that the difference is not all that large, though a lot of what I'm reading is also from late 2010.

Thanks so much for your input!

Best,
Ishakir

what games do you want to play at that res for which your current card is not enough?

I'm sort of looking ahead, specifically to Battlefield III and SWTOR.

But you're right, I have had no problems running games at max or near max at this time, most recent game being Portal 2.

I have a 6950 (rig in sig) and BF3 taxes my system at 1920x1080 res. I use a mixture of High/Ultra and the textures aren't even as large as they will be in the final game. I previously came from a 5870 and noticed a small difference. I noticed a HUGE difference when I upgraded my q9550 to a sandybridge 4 core 8 thread and overclocked it to 4.8ghz as well.

If you were considering upgrading, I'd consider the ram/mobo/cpu option first before your card.

I say wait, it's what I'm doing. From what I hear, the 7xxx series is coming out soon (by the end of the year) and Nvidia has stuff coming out beginning of next year. That means exactly what it sounds like, you could get one of the newer cards or wait for the price drop on the current stuff. I mean, I doubt the Source engine isn't as demanding as the Frostbite engine in BF3, but when you consider it may be a few weeks to a month or two between it's release and the next round of cards, I think it's not worth it.

On a side note, like vixro said, what's your current CPU standpoint? Still using that e6600?

I say wait, it's what I'm doing. From what I hear, the 7xxx series is coming out soon (by the end of the year) and Nvidia has stuff coming out beginning of next year. That means exactly what it sounds like, you could get one of the newer cards or wait for the price drop on the current stuff. I mean, I doubt the Source engine isn't as demanding as the Frostbite engine in BF3, but when you consider it may be a few weeks to a month or two between it's release and the next round of cards, I think it's not worth it.

On a side note, like vixro said, what's your current CPU standpoint? Still using that e6600?

Couldn't agree more!! The 6950 isn't much of an upgrade from the 5850 and you're better off waiting :)

Back