• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USb 3.0 external formated to fat 32?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chidesd

Registered
Having some trouble formatting my external WD my passport 1tb 3.0 hdd in fat32 googled it and I have found two programs that are suppose to do the trick swiss army knife and HP USB disk storage format tool but neither seem to play nice with windows 7 64 bit anyone have a better solution?

Have you tried the built in Disk Management? I'm pretty sure you can specify FAT32, but I don't have Windows 7 here at work to try it for you.

from what i have read u cant format over 32gb in fat 32 on the windows disk management utility

Last edited:
u cant format over 32gb so it wouldn't really work on a 1tb hdd unless I had lke 30 partitions. could be wrong though
The boot sector uses a 32-bit field for the sector count, limiting the FAT32 volume size to 2 TB for sector size of 512 bytes and 16 TB for sector size of 4,096 bytes.

hmm guess ill try it again but ive never been able to get it to work

Windows 7 doesn't have the FAT32 option in Disk Management, but it does have the exFAT option. I like exFAT since it allows for single files larger than 4GB and still works across different OSes.

I found this out when I bought a couple cheap open box HDDs to setup up as external drives and wanted to format them to be used across Win7 and OSX.

Id use a different format but im trying to make it usable by my pc and my ps3 which only reads externals with fat32 format.

Have you tried formatting with the cmd line yet?

I think the command is "format <drive letter>: /FS:FAT32" or it may be "format /FS:FAT32 <drive letter>:"

yep doesnt seem to be working i used format (Drive letter): /FS:FAT32 line and it asks if i want to format it and then it say formatting 953836M but the % has went past 0 %

Sounds like it isn't doing a quick format. There is probably a flag you will need to add for that.

Try putting a "/q" in the command

A non-quick format will take a while on a 1TB drive since it would perform error checking on the sectors. WD Diagnostics took 2.5 hours to check the sectors on the open box Samsung Spinpoint F3...

Try putting a "/q" in the command

A non-quick format will take a while on a 1TB drive since it would perform error checking on the sectors. WD Diagnostics took 2.5 hours to check the sectors on the open box Samsung Spinpoint F3...

when I had in the /q it says volume is to big

Can you specify the sector size? It sounds like it is defaulting to a very low value. You'd probably want 4K sectors.

Most versions of Windows imposes a 32GB limit when formatting FAT32 (they can read a larger partition just fine, they just won't format one). Try the tool from WD (http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=301&sid=34&lang=en), or boot up a Linux live CD and use mkfs.vfat.

just like ever other program ive tried I get a error during install dang thanks though maybe ill just give linux a try

edit got it to install with compatibility mode but when I go to format the hdd it says unable to becasue either to small or not compatible with the hdd

Just booted linux up its amazing how something so easy and simple in linux can be so hard and fraustrating in windows 7. anyway its formated now thanks for the help.... now onto a new problem only getting between 20-40mb per sec write speed to my external isnt that pretty slow for 3.0? tried a 3.0 header on my case and a direct usb 3.0 frim the mobo both the same speeds

Glad you got the formatting worked out.

Yeah, that's USB2 speeds. Is your front panel connected with the USB3 mobo header or looped to the back of the board? Do you have the mobo's USB3 drivers installed?

Glad you got the formatting worked out.

Yeah, that's USB2 speeds. Is your front panel connected with the USB3 mobo header or looped to the back of the board? Do you have the mobo's USB3 drivers installed?

headers pluged into the mobo 3.0 header and I also tried pluging it into the usb 3.0 on the back panel. and I do believe I have to driver for the usb 3.0 installed driver is call etron usb 3.0 host controller

Back