• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6970? or gtx 570? (leaning towards the 6970.)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

getting ready to replace my desktop. Been running it for a good 3 years now with a gtx 285. It plays skyrim on medium well enough, however its making a quiet yet highly irritating sqeeling sound now. Not to mention about once an hour the driver (285.62) crashes to desktop and wintendo 7 gives me an error about the driver.

Main question is, toms has the gtx 570 at about 5 fps faster than the 6970. And i've read that the AMD cards have issues with a lot of games and need some patching to run correctly.

anyone here experiencing any of the above and wouldn't mind educating me some on both cards?

Thanks in advance.

step 1: stop listening to what everyone says

step 2: make your own decision based on what you can afford and what your going to do with it

step 3: GOOGLE

I would go with a used 6950 that unlocks. They have been going for 200-230 recently.

If you are buying new I would go for an Asus 570 DCUII as they are ridiculously quiet.

It is a preference thing.
I personally prefer the 6970 and their drivers but they both basically produce about the same bench scores.

In all honesty I doubt you can go wrong with either ( NVidia GTX570 or AMD 6970) unless you a fanboy of one of them.

Edit:
Methal, there is already several post concerning this question in this forum. Check them out and see what you think.
Just scroll down and see "similar posts"

Last edited:
is there any down side to running an AMD Graphics card with an Intel set up?

Should I swap out the CPU for a an FX series? would I get better performance with an all amd set up?

i had 570 its a great card, just dont get reference one, there known for weaker VRM, like BossBorot said Asus DCII is a good one or MSI Twin Frozr III, oc'd to 900 on core there matching stock 580's

I would suggest the 6970. Or an unlockable 6950.

The big difference that actually matters is the VRAM. 1.25GB vs 2GB is big. I had a GTX470 with 1.25GB VRAM that got bottlenecked in Crysis 2 and almost in Crysis 1. It also got full in Battlefield 3. My GTX480 also fills up in BF3 (1.5GB). So even now the difference matters, and it will down the road.

However something to be aware of going forward is the relatively poor tessellation performance of the 6000 series vs the 7000 series and nVidia's cards.

On one hand you get more vram vs nVidia's current gen but on the other hand it's tessellation performance is in many ways as big of a possible performance issue down the road with games that push the bleeding edge.

Personally I wouldn't worry about architecture and design differences between ATi and nVidia unless you are shooting for more then 1920x1200 and in that case you should buy something with more performance anyways.

7850 because cheaper than 6970 and more efficient and cooler and less power hungry and easily overclcoked and can beat the 6970's *** overclocked

As far as drivers go the only issue I've ever heard of from ATI is when it comes to their crossfire updates, sometimes they take longer than they should lol.

6970 vs 570 I'd personally go 6970. If you throw the 7850 into the mix though I'd say go there. Overclocked they are monsters. Not overclocking the 6970 typically wins.

i had 570 its a great card, just dont get reference one, there known for weaker VRM, like BossBorot said Asus DCII is a good one or MSI Twin Frozr III, oc'd to 900 on core there matching stock 580's

+1 to this, don't get a reference 570, go with one of the nicer ones. The VRMs on my reference 570 caught on fire.

They are amazing cards though

Back