• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking Advice: Upgrade to GTX 1080ti or RTX 2080ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daniel Rekkins

Registered
So my current pc of 8 years is on its last leg. Automatically shuts off by itself once I boot it up and is generally just too slow for my liking as of late.

I’m planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 7 3700x but I’m unsure which GPU to go with.

I was leaning towards a 2080ti until I came across several forums where people were saying it’s not worth getting this late into 2020 with the new 3000 series coming out soon. So I started looking at 1080ti’s. Which is when I saw that the EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 is selling for $1000 on Amazon, while the 2080ti is selling for only $200 more at $1200.

The way people are hyping up the new RTX 3000 series cards makes me think that I’ll likely upgrade to one of those in the next year or two, so whatever card I end up getting now will be sold off in order to buy the 3080ti.

But now I’m torn and have a bunch of questions I can’t find the answers to with a simple google search.

- Will the resell value of the 1080ti hold up better than the RTX 2080ti?

- Is there a big enough difference between the two cards to justify spending the extra $200 I could use towards new peripherals?

- Once the 3080ti comes out, do you think it’s going to make the 2080ti obsolete?

- Is the 1080ti actually still worth the price tag of $1,000?

- Or should I get a different card altogether and wait for the 3080ti?

I’m not the most knowledge in this area so I’m open to having you guys tell me what you would do in my situation.

Budget isn’t really a factor, but I want to spend my money wisely.

Thanks In advance to anyone who takes the time to read and reply <3

Surely you can find a cheaper 1080Ti... they aren't that much.

1. The resale value of the 2080Ti will be a lot higher... it's newer...and especially with a highly overpriced $1000 1080Ti. They didn't cost that much new!
2. There is a big difference! Around 25% at 1440p (where I am asusming you are gaming). Check out some reviews!
(ours doesn't compare a 1080Ti Ihttps://www.overclockers.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-and-rtx-2080-ti-review/
3. Nope. It will be just like most launches, faster, same or less power..
4. lol, they never were worth $1000. They came out at $699
5. Up to you... can you wait until the end of the year (September+) then wait. If not, get the best you can/want to afford. :)

Last edited:
the used market for a 1080ti is around the $450-$550 mark for the most part (looking at forums, hardwareswap subreddit, etc).

If the choice is $1000 1080ti or $1200 2080ti, it wouldn't even be a choice. 2080ti wins the decision hands down. Also I don't usually let future hardware rumours (3000 series) influence my buying decisions since rumours are just rumours. If release dates are announced then I would consider waiting for reviews to decide.

If you're looking at spending $1000 for a 1080TI you clearly havent done even the slightest bit of homework. Those cards are worth around $500 on eBay. Go do some more research and come back after you're better informed.

I see you have a 1070, which is still OK. September will see the 30xx launch.

Even if I usually am with bmwbaxter regarding rumors, I'd wait for the new line...

Back