• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does LHR affect stuff other than mining?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiHaoMike

dBa Member
I managed to get a (new) RTX 3060 Ti for $200, which I assume is a great deal even if it's the LHR version. (Still looking up how to identify if it is, without taking it apart to look at the GPU part number.) Does LHR affect stuff other than mining? I assume 3D apps including CAD would be fine just as games would be, but what about GPGPU apps like Folding@Home and AI? I plan to mostly use mine for playing around with AI code.

As far as I know, it shouldn't affect anything else, as it enables performance limitations only for a specific mining code. It may affect something more, but I haven't heard about it. When I had LHR and regular versions of the same cards (RTX3060Ti), then I saw the difference only in mining but nothing in F@H or anything else.

From what I remember reading, LHR shouldn't affect anything except mining (wasn't there even a hack to get around LHR for mining?). However, AI compute on home PCs wasn't even a thing when that card was released, so who knows how it may react to that.

LHR was likely targeted at Ethereum and related ethash implementations at the time. They had a characteristic of scaling heavily with vram bandwidth and much less so with cores. To be possibly impacted you'd have to have a workload that looks something like that. Probably a lot more specific detail in it.

...wasn't there even a hack to get around LHR for mining?

For Gen 1 LHR there was a leaked (by Nvidia) BIOS that would unlock the cards full potential (even though Nvidia claimed it was more than a BIOS Lock). IIRC the next generation of cards from NVidia did have some stout LHR "protections".

@NiHaoMike The 3060 Ti LHR will work fine for your intended purposes. Just verify the BIOS once it's in your posession and upgrade it if neccesary.

Again... That whoooole... entire... thing. (The LHR cards, the "sweepstakes", the waiting lists, paying $2000 for a 3080...)

...was STUPID.

I wouldn't have cared if I had a 3Dfx card for the duration... I would've just stuck it out. :D

Again... That whoooole... entire... thing. (The LHR cards, the "sweepstakes", the waiting lists, paying $2000 for a 3080...)

...was STUPID.

I wouldn't have cared if I had a 3Dfx card for the duration... I would've just stuck it out. :D
I thought it was kinda a fun getting GPU's then sort of like a black Friday sale where you had to jump over people in wheelchairs and knock over old ladies to get the TV you wanted.:nuts:

But I paid retail as I think they all came from EVGA...and the LHR never amounted to anything in regards to fah...or gaming. I never heard any complaints to the folks here I sold to them either..

Back