• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA RTX 2070 XC - Crashing/Artifacting HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caesium

Recently I have been having a lot of issues with game crashes. It started out only on Cod games, but now it is affecting simple games such as Valorant, Kovaak's aim trainer, etc. and has real bad 'artifacting/screen tearing' when trying to run the Heaven Benchmark and crashes every time I try and run it(It basically flashes white in different places-screen goes black-then freezes up) (for games it usually crashes and gives direct x errors for most - even with making games run d11 in extra command lines). However, when I run gpu.userbenchmark it says my GPU is running at 98.8% (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48280525)
I've tried reinstalling drivers, repairing and reinstalling games, the typical ins and outs, as well as applying new thermal paste to the gpu, but I have not gotten any success to stop the game/heaven crashes.

I mostly use my computer for gaming (~10-15hrs/week) - 3D programs such as Blender and CAD (~10-15hrs/week) - then the rest of the time (since Feb2021) I mine Ethereum on a very low overclock through MSI Afterburner. (+25 core ; +50 memory) the max overclock I've ever been successful with on Heaven was +50 core ; +100 memory, so I just cut it in half to be safe. Other than mining, I usually never run an overclock. Also when I do mine, I leave the door open for max airflow with aggressive fan profiles and I have never seen the temp even get close to 60C. From my understanding, mining should not have any greater affect on degradation of the card than typical use.

With me being at work rn, I cannot get into my BIOS and tell you all the details there, but the only thing I have ever messed with in that was OC for the RAM and setting up custom fan curves for temps. Does anyone have any insight on what could be happening or how I could best troubleshoot this? Thank you so much in advance!

PC Specs:
Mobo: ASRock B550M Pro4 AMD AM4
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x w/ Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 Water Cooling Kit
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC (Purchased 5/13/2020)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw V (2x8GB) 3600Mhz (underclocked to 3400 bc apparently mobo does not support it at 3600)
SSD: Silicon Power P34A80 1TB M.2-2280 (x1) --- Crucial P2 1TB M.2-2280 (x1)
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W Fully Modular

I would recommend you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and just RMA it.

Being that I got it from EVGA B-Stock, its marked as "-RX" meaning it only qualifies for 1yr warranty... so I'm about 6months over :/

Oof.

Best bet at this point is to try and lower memory speeds or power limit and see if it still happens.

Note Heaven has screen tearing all the time, fyi... but not artifacts.

Does the system event share anything about the crash reason?

I hope that works, but... wouldn't hold my breath. Lowering the memory clocks (a couple hundred MHz) and maybe limiting power (say to 80%) is worth a try before obliterating your OS.

so after tinkering with it for quite a bit, uninstalling and reinstalling most programs. including Superposition Benchmark. These are the overclock settings that will not show artifacting/crashing....
I honestly cant believe that settings have to be this low to be able to run simple task... Why does everything have to be so low for something my pc was capable of just a few months ago??

super position.PNG

precision x1.PNG

UPDATE::::

After further testing, I can also benchmark this with the following

super position2.PNG
precision x1-2.PNG

you're 2070 is toast, so is mine, i think it's going to be a common theme in the coming months, mine did the same exact thing, slowly stopped working for JUST call of duty games, then slowly got to the point it wont even post anymore. return it and get a new one.

you're 2070 is toast, so is mine, i think it's going to be a common theme in the coming months, mine did the same exact thing, slowly stopped working for JUST call of duty games, then slowly got to the point it wont even post anymore. return it and get a new one.

Being that I purchased EVGA B-Stock, the warranty is only 1yr, and I am 6mo over that period. Plus the warranty is voided if you tinker with crypto mining in the slightest.

I am running this same discussion on a few forums, I got suggested to do the oven method... So I might say screw it and try doing that..

Plus the warranty is voided if you tinker with crypto mining in the slightest.
How would anyone know?

I am running this same discussion on a few forums,
That's.......good to know. Can you link the other sites? Reason being is we could all be working against each other and wasting each other's time asking the same questions and sharing the same advice. If you cross post, you should at least list the other threads you started so everyone is working off the same information.

The oven trick is a good one. Worth a try since it's not in warranty. :thup:

How would anyone know?

That's.......good to know. Can you link the other sites? Reason being is we could all be working against each other and wasting each other's time asking the same questions and sharing the same advice. If you cross post, you should at least list the other threads you started so everyone is working off the same information.

The oven trick is a good one. Worth a try since it's not in warranty. :thup:

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-2070-XC-CrashingArtifacting-HELP-m3498899.aspx#3499115

That is the link where I got the oven advice. Being that I have aging ovens at work, I am about to put it in now... Won't have results until after work and I can try at home. So stay tuned! praying it works

Ahh, you told them... lol. I had no idea that was against the TOS though.

GL with baking it. Hopefully it works.

Ahh, you told them... lol. I had no idea that was against the TOS though.

GL with baking it. Hopefully it works.

Yeah I kinda dug my own hole with it, but I baked it for 9min at 385F (196.1C) let it cool and put it back together. In about 4.5 hours I will be able to tell if it worked, I wish I would've never sold my 1070 now:-/

Check back around 6:30 EST to see the result

Back