• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Space Heaters are on clearance at Walmart stores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I am showing 1 KWH for +/- 45 minutes of use on maximum setting which appears to cost 6 cents where I live.

Works out to roughtly $60 month at that rate of use. Multiply that by 2 or 3 to heat the average small home or apartment, and it's probably still cheaper than some would pay to heat with fossil fuels.

I may be on the extreme low end of electricity costs in the country so the costs for most would be higher.

We should also remember that these are intended to heat the immediate personal space and, relatively speaking, small rooms.

People need to make sure their water pipes don't freeze so it's not just the matter of heating the immediate personal space... I would view these as great supplements for taking care of very cold days.

I may be on the extreme low end of electricity costs in the country so the costs for most would be higher.

We should also remember that these are intended to heat the immediate personal space and, relatively speaking, small rooms.

People need to make sure their water pipes don't freeze so it's not just the matter of heating the immediate personal space... I would view these as great supplements for taking care of very cold days.

I don't really have a choice. I live in an old trailer without central heat. I have to use space heaters. Luckily, it doesn't usually get very far below freezing here, and definitely not for long. Maybe 2 or 3 days in a row, but then it will warm back up somewhat for a few more days.

Do any of these heaters offer a mercury safety switch? Would suck if the cat knocked one over and set your carpet on fire!

I'm getting around to reading the manual but the Sunbeam Patton Radiant Heater is very sturdy. There's no way any cat can knock it over imo.

Off topic: I now have two and on both the lowest horizontal piece of metal does not light up and neither does the one directly behind it. All others do on both. If anyone has this model, please post if this is how all models work.

EDIT: Nevermind, those only light up when the lower setting is used!

Last edited:
Do any of these heaters offer a mercury safety switch? Would suck if the cat knocked one over and set your carpet on fire!

Have the made a heater without a safety switch in the last 20 years? :shrug: Or do you specifically need a mercury switch? (Would think those would have been phased out before even Lead in solder TBH)

Even my model which is about 15 years old has a little button on the bottom. If you even bump the heater it shuts off. Very annoying.

There shouldn't be any current heater that fails the tip check. But I'd keep an eye on sources like cpsc.gov for recalls, there's been at least one model recalled every year due to issue like failing tip check, overheating, etc.

My space heater does not need a tip sensor at all. Warms my room very nicely if I close the window. At about $2,000 for both and weighting over 30 pounds each, it's hard to knock it over. The space heater also doubles as gaming machine and crunching seti@home :D

Sunbeam Patton Radiant Heater on lowest setting: about 5KWH in about 5 hours. [5.05 KWH in 5 hours 10 minutes].

Patton PRH11 is $11 here at my store. i was actually looking at them today before i logged on and saw this, thought about picking a few up

Back