• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error opening MS Office programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattsterMH

"Microsoft Word quit unexpectedly...this report will be sent to Apple automatically."

This only happens when opening MS Office programs and Skype. Just started happening recently.

I have no knowledge with Mac OS, only Windows.

I need help ASAP; it's for a project due tomorrow.

Does the version of Word you have installed have a "safe mode" option? What changed recently? Do you have the ability to reinstall?

Oh one small thing I mentioned, I linked to the intel mac page. I probably should have linked to this download page because I don't know if he has a ppc mac or intel mac but if you use that page it should auto-detect the correct version to DL.

+1 for this workaround, since time is of the essence. Actually, I would [in general]endorse the use of libreoffice(or openoffice) over MS Office on any OS platform including Windows, although there may be employers or scholastic projects that might require use of MS Office in some specialized situations.

Does the version of Word you have installed have a "safe mode" option? What changed recently? Do you have the ability to reinstall?

Along the lines of what Thid suggests, in the Intel/Windows world in such situations we attempt a recovery or safe mode startup (disables all plugins, etc) which is done from a run command line. Usually something like MSWORD.EXE /SAFE . It's very common with Outlook. And of course if that doesn't work to narrow down the cause to a plugin that can be disabled or removed, a repair (in place) install would be performed going into control panel --> add/remove programs and selecting the option to change/repair the Office installation. Typically those two things resolve 90% of startup issues like you describe in the Windows world.

Back