• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard - Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

defroad

I am building a new machine. I have all but the motherboard selected. I am having a great of trouble with selecting this. Originally I was going to get a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H ($189), however I have seen all sorts of issues that board. Would anyone recommend another board? I have looked at the 2 below and like both. The computer will be for medium to low end gaming, Starcraft II. I will also use the machine for work, I do IT. If you see anything wrong with my build please feel free to offer any advice.

ASUS Maximus V - $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830&Tpk=Asus Maximus V

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA -$240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

Other Parts:
CPU i7-3770k
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti
SSD: Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III
Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

Thanks...Roadruner

What case is this all going in? The Maximus Gene V is a matx board remember. There's little point to a tiny board unless you NEED the features it offers if your case is massive. I have that board. But I also have an m-atx case.

O, I missed that this board was a micro ATX. The board has a great rating and offers alot for a good price. I will have to check exactly what case that I am planning on using. I do not believe it is micro, it was designed for media use. It cost me way to much for a computer that I never got to build. I started with the case and the rest of the $ went to a car repair.

What would recommend instead?

ASRock z77 Extreme4 +2

I have a similar build (560ti instead) and I will go for this mobo... I just bumped into an article comparing all cards who are directly competing with ASRock and basically this option makes the most sense since is providing all the things I need, it has good hear sinks, is solid built and is the cheapest in its range...

Depends what you mean... Support as in "my board exploaded! Please change it!" or support as in BIOS features etc?

I can't say anything about the customer support because I never used it and never heard people talking about it... But I saw in the review that BIOS features are awesome offering support for monitoring and for customization ( including temperatures, overclocking etc etc)...

Hope this helped a bit! Gl mate!

Depends what you mean... Support as in "my board exploaded! Please change it!" or support as in BIOS features etc?

I can't say anything about the customer support because I never used it and never heard people talking about it... But I saw in the review that BIOS features are awesome offering support for monitoring and for customization ( including temperatures, overclocking etc etc)...

Hope this helped a bit! Gl mate!
Thanks i was wondering about ASRock customer support?

I've found Gigabyte boards to be extremely reliable in the past. If you want to avoid them, ASRock and ASUS are the other top MB manufactures. Another +1 for the Extreme4.

Not sure on their customer support, but I believe it isn't that great. Not terrible, but not great.

I've just finished my build with Sabertooth z77.

If you want great looking rig (can't still say anything about OC performace, but all stock is fine), then Sabertooth is what you want. But the price is, huh.

I've got all components (whole config) as a "thank you" gift from one small firm becouse I was managing all their computers, web etc. for last 5 years for free.

I've seen lots of positive feedbacks for Asrock, that would be my choice, then Gigabyte.

Here are some pictures, sorry for bad quality, I took them with my fas with my BB. Still have few wires to sort.

11vmrr4.jpg

2qvtnc1.jpg

2l9g6p.jpg

14lr77n.jpg

Back