• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking into buiding a new rig..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hi guys, was thinking about piecing something new together. Over the weekend I ended up buying a Define Mini C TG. I thought it was the atx model. When the guy showed up and I had a look, it looked a little small. Turns out I was right, figured it out when my mobo wouldn't fit lol.

I really like that case. Its nicer than my R4 heh.

So I put together a little list of things.. Maybe one of you gents could look it over? I am running 3rd gen i7 hardware presently, I would imagine that little box should properly whoop this thing.

CPU: 9600k

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117959

Mobo: Asus TUF Z390M

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119161&ignorebbr=1

Ram: G.Skill TridentZ

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232201&ignorebbr=1

Or, I could just buy a Maximus V Gene from ebay :D

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=maximus v gene&ssPageName=GSTL

Thoughts? I can go either way, not too sure I trust ebay yet, I haven't bought anything from there.

Seems like a lot to pay for the ram. I would at least spend $10 more for the 3200 cl14 and know I was getting B die. Will the 9600k benefit that much from the timings? My impression was that Intel chips did well with higher speeds (that I'm sure the b die can make a good run at, but a rated kit of 3600 may do just as well), and relaxed timings would be ok. Not something I know a lot about, but it seems like a high price for 3000 ram.

Going to stick with parts from your current system? Id your PSU fairly recent?

I don't know? Every time I bought ram it was always expensive :D Ill look at faster ram later today.

Yeah I will be recycling nearly everything. If my cooler is too tall for my case, I will swap it with my Le Grand Macho RT that's on my x58 rig.

I may add an ssd since they are cheap, and possibly upgrade my gpu towards the winter, or use my pending Christmas bonus for that purchase :thup:

I wouldn't buy anything older if you want to keep it for longer. There can be driver issues in the future. Now it works but I wouldn't be surprised to see that some components are not supported anymore in a year+. It's like they did with Win7 and new processors/chipsets. In theory it works but not always like we wish.

Can check this memory:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232407

From motherboards can check ASRock mATX Z390 but it will be about the same as ASUS TUF. ASUS looks a bit better.

Over the weekend I ended up buying a Define Mini C TG. I thought it was the atx model.
Umm, the "Mini" in the name didn't give you a clue! LOL

Regardless, it is still an excellent case and frankly, unless you really need support for more than 5 expansion cards, there are some excellent µATX motherboards out there, including that ASUS you have selected.

FTR, I still don't totally trust buying from eBay.

I don't see a budget. I also don't see an OS listed. Or a graphics card. Are you going with integrated? At least for now? What about drives and a CPU cooler (since that CPU does not come with one)?

I agree that RAM is pretty pricey. The motherboard's RAM QVL shows a lot of more affordable options.

Hey Woomak, I believe it. I tried 7 a few weeks ago expecting greatness. It’s just a shadow of its former self now. Alright, that’s a no go on the Maximus.

Bill, yeah there was something lost in translation, he didn’t mention the mini part in the ad. He’s a new comer, and English is definitely not his strong point. I will be re using psu, gpu, ssd and hdd, all my fans and I have 10 already.

FTR, since you already have an R4 (as do I and I love it!), you should already know FD fans are excellent at moving lots of air quietly. That case comes with 2 x 120 FD fans - not sure you will need more. I note the front supports 140mm fans so that might be an option.

I hate fan noise - I mean I really hate fan noise. It is important to remember sufficient cooling is critical but achieving the coolest temps possible is not. That is, a CPU running at 30°C will not perform better, be more stable, or have a longer life expectancy than a CPU running at 55°C. As long as temps are maintained comfortably within the specified operating temperature range, that's just fine.

I do love my R4. My son will be using it once I get my new rig built. He is using my Rampage III Formula and x5690 right now wrapped in a 690II Advanced. And yeah, I do feel a little bad for that rig, it deserves to be back in my R4, but it may get retired, and sit beside her older sister on the shelf, the original Rampage Formula lol :D

As for the Fractal fans.. They are ok, but not great. Although the ones that came with the Mini C are a lot nicer than what came with my R4. The case is unused, and those fans have never had power to them, so I don't know how they are yet. I was planning on using some TY147A's Or maybe TY143's on a short leash..

Ok, so outside of the ram, I guess the board is good. I would like to bump up to an i7, so maybe I will. Awesome, I'm on the right track.

Thanks guys for your help and comments, much appreciated.

Well, in light of all this specter stuff, yet again.. I think I will roll with AMD this time around. I might have to abandon matx.

Agreed. It is important to note for a bad guy to exploit any of these CPU vulnerabilities, they have to be really clever (most aren't), they have be specifically targeting you (which means you have bigger problems!), they have to get by all your other defenses (router, firewall, anti-malware solution, they then have to plant the code on your computer, exploit the vulnerability, then extract and copy the data. And in most cases, they have to have physical access to your computer to do this.

I personally am not ready to upgrade right now, but when I am, I will not hesitate to consider Intel again. Nor do I hesitate to recommended it now. Some folks, especially bloggers and man in the IT press seeking attention, love to bash. And sadly, instead of just reporting the facts like a professional journalist should, they exaggerate and blow way out of proportion (and sometimes, just flat out lie) in their attempt to get more readers. :(

And of course, AMD processors are not without their flaws either.

As for the Fractal fans.. They are ok, but not great. Although the ones that came with the Mini C are a lot nicer than what came with my R4.
Why do you think they are only "ok"? The 2 x 140mm FD fans that came with my R4 are excellent. They keep the interior very cool, even when set to low (5V) speeds. Even at medium (7V) speeds, the only way I can tell they are spinning is to look through the side panel window or put my ear at the back and "feel" the air hitting my ear. Not sure what more to ask for. Admittedly, at 67, my ears are not what they used to be but as I mentioned above, I really hate fan noise and for sure, any hearing loss I might have is NOT at those frequencies. :(

I can barely hear them if I set them to full (12V) speed but why do that if not needed? And besides, should I decide to stress test my system and push everything so all my fans ramp up to full speeds, I hear the GPU cooling solution above the case fans.

Maybe if the R4 and other FD cases were not so good at suppressing noise, I might feel differently about their fans. But as it stands, I would not hesitate buying them for myself and I frequently recommend them too - as they tend to be priced nicely too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so back on track with intel. As for fractal fans, specifically the one that came with the R4, they are ok. I am still using two. But I am used to 120x38s, and Thermalright fans. I have never bought any recent aftermarket fans, all of mine are at a minimum a decade old lol. I do like how quiet they are. Also, got a white Meshify C TG, well I will after five when the guy drops it off :D

theres 2x8gb set of ddr4 4000 at newegg for $184 patriot viper steel,great deal. theres also a solid deal on a set of team group dark pro b-die 2x8gb ddr4 3200 for $179

Excellent, thanks guys! I wonder why that 3000 was so expensive? :confused:

Ok, so I got the Meshify about 10 minutes ago. And might as well include the little guy.

That meshify looks like it wont be as quiet as my R4 lol.

IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG

Back