• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best option to use my 2 x ancient DVI monitors with on a new GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erosion

Registered
So I'm thinking about finally upgrading my old HD7970 to a EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 but I have one concern..

Let me explain my monitor setup first,
1 x Acer XG270HU 27" 2K 144Hz
2 x Acer G235HAbd

Obviously its a slightly weird setup but my old dual monitors work perfectly fine for what I need them for in my 3 monitor setup, my only concern is the new videocard doesn't have enough DVI ports (to be expected now days)

Just kind of curious what the best route to continue using all 3 of these monitors would be with no issues to my 144HZ 2K main monitor, I'm seeing various DVI => DP converters, active and passive (at dramatically different price points), etc.. just not sure what would be the best course of action here, don't really feel like getting the wrong thing.. any suggestions?

Did the 7970 let you run the main monitor at 144hz? With my GTX970 and 980Ti I always ran my secondary monitor(s) off the Intel integrated GPU so that it would keep my main monitor at 144hz. When I had them plugged into my main GPU it wouldn't let me enable 144hz unless the other two monitors were off.

I use HDMI to DVI, have not tried a display port to DVI before.

As long as you have DVI on the monitors, adaptors are cheap. Make the switch to the new card.

DVI converts to HDMI and DP so easy.

P.S. I'm in the middle of a 275 computer upgrade where the new machines only have HDMI and DP. We bought adaptors for our DVI monitors. Our VGA only monitors are finally getting scrapped.

Did the 7970 let you run the main monitor at 144hz? With my GTX970 and 980Ti I always ran my secondary monitor(s) off the Intel integrated GPU so that it would keep my main monitor at 144hz. When I had them plugged into my main GPU it wouldn't let me enable 144hz unless the other two monitors were off.

I use HDMI to DVI, have not tried a display port to DVI before.

I'm getting full 144 with no issues on the 7970 with the other two running at 60 all off the same card, don't have the problem you are experiencing.

Back