• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Question] Which GPU will be best for my setup?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

I am wondering what GPU will be best for my setup for the next 3 years. I am planning on selling my Radeon Vega Frontier Edition for either a Radeon VII or NVIDIA RTX 2070/2080 or GTX 1080Ti/Titan XP at the worse case. However, I am trying to to do an over kill gpu that will never be utilized on my system well enough. Below is my current setup. Main pc usage is C#, Unity3D, and Music Recording with some gaming and casual video editing. Sometimes I stream on Twitch that is just about the usage for my pc on a weekly basic.

My current setup:
CPU: Intel i9-9900K |MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme |VIDEO: Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB HBM2 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000Mhz 32GB 4x8 |CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 |M.2: SAMSUNG 970 500GB (Win)|M.2: SAMSUNG 970 250GB (Games)|SSD: | HDD: 3TB WD 7200 | PSU: RMx Series RM850x — 850 Watt 80 PLUS |COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 250W | Monitors: 2x HP OMEN 24" 1080p @ 144Hz.

Thanks for any advice or input for a gpu replacement for my Vega FE. I tried getting a hold of a air cooler for my Vega to keep it but the only Morpheus Core Edition cooler on Newegg sold before I got a chance to buy it. :rolleyes: I cannot do blower style cards even-though they are great at keeping the heat out they are just to loud for me.

Last edited:
To take full advantage of the 9900k you would need a 1080ti or the newer RTX 2070+ i suppose ?

To take full advantage of the 9900k you would need a 1080ti or the newer RTX 2070+ i suppose ?

Yea issue is also finding the right price for a 1080Ti and a RTX 2070. For example I can grab a EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra Gaming 8GB which I like even though is not a 3 fan $569.99 and a nice GTX 1080 Ti with a fat body like the AMP Extreme can sometimes go much higher than the RTX. =/ So what is the max someone should put into a 1080Ti before saying you could just put this into an RTX. Now I know that 2080 and 2080Ti and even maybe the Radeon VII will be overkill for a 1080p system. I think from what I read is a waste of money so is putting me within the range of Vega 64 /1080Ti and 2070 if the price is right between the two model.

You could argue that a 9900k is complete overkill for 1080p :D that said it really depends what you want it for and if you really want to "future-proof" your build for the next 4-5 years - game/work i would suggest a 2080 (if money is not a problem a 2080ti) and a 4k monitor sometime in the future, for everyday use enjoy your Vega.

Well the 9900K was mainly for Audio Production because DAW love single fastest cores available. Which hitting 5.0 GHz on 2 to 3 cores and even 5.1GHz on 2 to 3 cores on this chip very easy. Making my DAW happy running many samples and VSTi. Also reason I run 32GB of Memory on the system. ;) The GPU just for gaming and video editing is what I need it for.

Well the 9900K was mainly for Audio Production because DAW love single fastest cores available. Which hitting 5.0 GHz on 2 to 3 cores and even 5.1GHz on 2 to 3 cores on this chip very easy. Making my DAW happy running many samples and VSTi. Also reason I run 32GB of Memory on the system. ;) The GPU just for gaming and video editing is what I need it for.

1080 Ti's can be had on the used market for under 500. I picked one up last week for 450 to replace my 1070. Pricing on the RTX cards is still way too high and games that can utilize ray tracing too few to justify the extra expense.

Just if you do end up buying used make sure it is a manufacturer that allows the warranty to follow the card, like EVGA, I think gigabyte might as well but im not sure. The others require the original receipt.

Back