• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I’d like to have your views on my building a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is this a good build?

• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

• I would change...

• Total voters

GGeorge007

Registered
I’d like to have your views on my building a computer specifically for running BOINC 24/7/365.
This is my intended setup:

F.D. Meshify 2XL Case
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII w/Wi-Fi motherboard
[2] EVGA RTX-2070Super & [1] EVGA RTX-3080 (10GB) GPUs (3 all together)
G.Skill DDR4-3800 CL14 DRAM
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
SAMSUNG 870 EVO Series 2.5" 2TB SATA III SSD
WD Black 2TB HDD
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ Titanium 1600W PSU
Optimus Foundation CPU Water Block for AMD AM4
EKWB EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial water pump
EKWB Classic GPU Water Blocks (w/backplates) for all 3 GPUs
EKWB [1ea] EK-Quantum Surface X420M & X360M Rads in Push/Pull w/Noctua fans

FWIW, I am an Overclocker, but not to the extent of using NO2.

My questions are:
  1. Your view on my build.
  2. Would I be better off with a different case?
  3. What kind of wall amperage can I expect with this setup?

Moved to General Hardware since this is about a system build. :)

Can you wait a few weeks to see AMD's new stuff release? At best you have more, faster (and more expensive) options, at worst, this stuff is cheaper in a month or so. Intel is also releasing new hardware so... in short the market is changing and now is really a good time to wait and see.

I don't know about BOINC's performance (is it CPU heavy, GPU heavy?)... so it's tough to judge the build from that standpoint.

Is this a daily driver and gamer too? Otherwise, there's no need for all those NVMe drives when one tiny one, even a much cheaper SSD, would do. I don't know if BIONC is storage heavy though, so... there's that.

As far as power draw, I'd imagine if everything is working full tilt you'd be pushing 1000W. The 2070 Supers are ~215W cards, the 3080 is ~320W and that CPU can pull 200W when full loaded IIRC... the board and other (ram/drives/fans, etc) is going to be another 50-100W. So 1.6KW is plenty. I'd even go

I was unsure where to put this post, but since it is focused on the Meshify 2XL case, I thought... well, thanks for making the move.

Yes, I can wait. Turns out I can wait quite a while. Wife and I are going to Disney World next year, and at our age (retired, both of us) and fixed incomes, I'd rather wait to make the build and save up some more $$$$.

It has been very hard for me to "wait and see" what the new AMD products will be, but I'm resisting doing anything else. The prices of the current generation of CPUs & GPUs (at least from AMD & EVGA) keep falling, and I wonder if they will still be around (new) by the time I get back to this project. I have been a fanboy of Intel for over 25 years, but I've switched to AMD and also to Linux Ubuntu. AMD has been leading Intel for now, and Windows has gotten out of control with their Win11.

BOINC is a "background" player; i.e. it isn't necessary to have it in the foreground. And depending what projects you run, it can be CPU and GPU intensive. Personally, I run projects that keep both my CPU and GPUs very busy, and it will also be my daily driver. I don't play any games at all. I will sometimes do some benchmarking just to make sure my CPU and GPUs are properly cooled. Presently, I'm using ~ 92% to ~ 95% CPU usage constantly, 24/7. The GPUs are also in the same ball park, up to 100% when I'm not doing anything else on the computer. For now, I leave 2 cores (out of 32) open for system OS and simple use such as this.

I was thinking along the same lines as you regarding the power draw. And yes, I do have the necessary equipment to monitor it.

Well... Do you think that with what you now know about the software and usage that my system (as it is for now) should be okay in the Meshify 2XL? Remember, I'll be cooling both the CPU and the three GPUs with a common two radiator system and a double D5 pump, all from EKWB.

EarthDog, I thank you for your thoughtful and intelligent approach to answering my post. But now I think you can answer it more completely. :^)

Sorry, got a system build vibe when i read it/the questions asked. :)

What are your concerns about the Meshify?? The parts will fit, so you're good on that front. Cases are kind of personal to me, but the rads should fit (check specs) so you should be good.

Moved to General Hardware since this is about a system build. :)

Can you wait a few weeks to see AMD's new stuff release? At best you have more, faster (and more expensive) options, at worst, this stuff is cheaper in a month or so. Intel is also releasing new hardware so... in short the market is changing and now is really a good time to wait and see.

I don't know about BOINC's performance (is it CPU heavy, GPU heavy?)... so it's tough to judge the build from that standpoint.

Is this a daily driver and gamer too? Otherwise, there's no need for all those NVMe drives when one tiny one, even a much cheaper SSD, would do. I don't know if BIONC is storage heavy though, so... there's that.

As far as power draw, I'd imagine if everything is working full tilt you'd be pushing 1000W. The 2070 Supers are ~215W cards, the 3080 is ~320W and that CPU can pull 200W when full loaded IIRC... the board and other (ram/drives/fans, etc) is going to be another 50-100W. So 1.6KW is plenty. I'd even go
At the end you were going to say "...I'd even go..." and then you stopped.

I'm curious (a.k.a. Curious George), what were you going to say?
Post magically merged:

Good for Boinc...way better for Folding at Home....(Our Team 32 needs you) :grouphug:
(Shameless plug):chair:
Nothing shameless about plugging your own BOINC team, unless Overclockers.com has some restrictions on doing so.

Sorry, but my team is also small, just 57 members, only 17 active, but we are doing very well, thank you.

And my team is called GPU Users Group, and is a "by invitation only" group to boot.

Last edited:
Sorry, got a system build vibe when i read it/the questions asked. :)

What are your concerns about the Meshify?? The parts will fit, so you're good on that front. Cases are kind of personal to me, but the rads should fit (check specs) so you should be good.
My concerns are limited, and may be non-consequential. I was unsure if the new EKWB radiators would fit. The sizes are a bit larger (longer) that most every other radiator. Plus, I was wondering if anyone else has radiators with a push/pull fan configuration, and if they had any problems fitting them into the Meshify 2XL case.

I do know that cases are personal, but I think this will do nicely. The other two case I was pondering were Thermaltake's Tower 900 or Corsair's Obsidian 1000D. Both are very large cases, but I think they would also provide plenty of cooling potential.

I was going to say you could use a 1300W model...have you checked power use currently to see where you are at? If the gpus are the same, power use is going to be similar enough to give you an idea. You have the tools (a kill a watt?).. check it out!

I never messed with those rads or that case, but just read the specs. ;)

You'll be lovin' life with a new rig like that. (y)

So- what project(s) are you going to be running with BOINC? With GPUs like these you could jump into the Folding@home team Top 20 pretty quick.

No pressure, just sayin. ;)
Thanks!! Actually, I have these GPUs right now, but in different cases. I want to consolidate into one case and I'm hoping that the Meshify 2XL will work.

Presently I'm running Einstein GPU tasks and Universe CPU tasks. I have Milkyway, TN-Grid and MLC on stand by in the event one of the others drops off for some reason.

I'm already in the Top 20 under Einstein and Universe without consolidation. :*)
Post magically merged:

I was going to say you could use a 1300W model...have you checked power use currently to see where you are at? If the gpus are the same, power use is going to be similar enough to give you an idea. You have the tools (a kill a watt?).. check it out!

I never messed with those rads or that case, but just read the specs. ;)
Yes, I do have a kilowatt meter. Actually it is a Baldr, but essentially the same. My desktop computers, combined, are reading ~ 1100W. It doesn't hurt to ask though, same for the radiators. I think a 1300W PSU would be just a little bit shy incase I wanted to upgrade my GPUs.

Last edited:
Back