• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Gaming Build - Recommendations pls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewalk100

Hello all,

I am thinking about putting together a budget gaming build for my kids. They mostly play fortnite, sims, roblox, etc. They are currently using a Dell latitude which isn't cutting it. I have built several computers before, but not for at least 10 years. I no longer keep up with what is good and what is not. I was a member of this forum in the past and know there is lots of knowledge here. I am also open to the idea of a decent gaming laptop.

I would like to stay around $1000 CAD (I'm in Canada so has to be from a site that ships to Canada too.)

Here is what I have found for a desktop: https://techbuyersguru.com/best-750-budget-gaming-pc-build-january-2019
Would you change anything here? its just over $1000 CAD from amazon.ca

And here is a laptop that seems decent: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154939&ignorebbr=1

Thanks in advance!

I like the option for the i5 8400 and I would bump the RAM up from 8gb to 16gb if possible. Other than that, it looks good to me.

Having said that, I suspect you can do better with custom build using a Ryzen CPU, like a 2600 Ryzen.

Personally, unless mobile is very important to you in your overall computing use, I would not be looking at a laptop for gaming. I don't think you will find it as satisfying.

Do you already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard?

Last edited:
I have been testing small, portable, budget rigs for a few of us guys that game together to have lan partys with and get good results at 1080P.
what I found is that the 8100 paired with A 1060 3gig card, 8 gigs of ram and A sata ssd was enough to get the job done.
With the mods we run in the game I found that A 1060 6gig card and 16gigs of ram and A sata ssd worked very well with the mods we run and that a 1060 6gig card, 8 gigs of system ram and A pcie, nvme ssd drive was also a good option.

Back