• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a new gaming PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xZippy

Registered
As you can see in my sig, I already have a... possibly above average build. My budget is about $1300 maximum, but I'd really, really prefer if I was spending between $800-$900 instead. I want a build that will last me at least 5-6 years before I need to upgrade again. I noticed I lagged super hard on The Quarry and the new Resident Evil 4, and that's what's pushing me into getting a new PC.

Here is a build someone recommended for me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Njt3rD
Note: The case I already have.

You guys have always been awesome at helping me with this sort of thing, so I was wondering if there's any clever way I can bring the cost down?

Last edited:
Alternative idea. Just buy a 3060 Ti or 3070 and see if that gets you where you want to be. Yeah it'll bottleneck but if the framerate is what you want then it doesn't matter. If just a GPU upgrade doesn't do it for you, then no actual loss and you just proceed with your upgrade as normal. I've personally run a 3070 on a 4790K machine and it performed fine with everything at that time.

Just a tip, RX6700XT/6750XT can be found for $320-350 or maybe cheaper, and it's faster than the RTX3060 (more like RTX3070). I wouldn't buy RTX3060 nowadays as it was already lower series two years ago. 3060Ti/3070 as a minimum if you really want Nvidia as there is a significant performance difference between them.
You may also consider Ryzen 7600 or 7600X and B650/E motherboard. The price should be similar or lower. I have Ryzen 7600+RTX3070 in my current gaming PC, and it works fine in everything, but I understand that every person has a bit different needs. I actually changed the i5 12600k/ASUS Z690/RTX3060 to Ryzen 7600/ASUS B650E/RTX3070 (I had some parts I wasn't using after tests). The reason why I picked Ryzen 7600 instead of 7600X is the lower wattage (PC runs 24/7), but both cost about the same.

... or you can get a new graphics card, and if you feel that it's still slow, then change other components
However, I wouldn't buy i5 12600k and RTX3060 as both are already old. Expect a new CPU series or at least a refresh at the end of this year (recent leaks suggest we will see a Raptor Lake refresh later this year, but it may change), and RTX4060 in the upcoming weeks as specification leaks and early samples are already around.

Alternative idea. Just buy a 3060 Ti or 3070 and see if that gets you where you want to be. Yeah it'll bottleneck but if the framerate is what you want then it doesn't matter. If just a GPU upgrade doesn't do it for you, then no actual loss and you just proceed with your upgrade as normal. I've personally run a 3070 on a 4790K machine and it performed fine with everything at that time.
I don't know if that would really do anything. My motherboard is pretty old. Like 2014 old.
... or you can get a new graphics card, and if you feel that it's still slow, then change other components
However, I wouldn't buy i5 12600k and RTX3060 as both are already old. Expect a new CPU series or at least a refresh at the end of this year (recent leaks suggest we will see a Raptor Lake refresh later this year, but it may change), and RTX4060 in the upcoming weeks as specification leaks and early samples are already around.
The highest my motherboard can do is only PCI-e 3.0 cards. This really feels like a "just get a new PC" situation.

Edit: So basically... this would be a better setup? It looks great and all, but that's spending more than what I wanted. Also, the GPU you suggested has less memory than what I had before. I don't know how big of an impact that would give me.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for higher memory in GPUs. Do the clock speeds of the 3070 really make up for the 8GB? As opposed to the 3060's 12GB? I might end up going with the 3060 anyway just because of the price.

I'd be surprised if the 3060 can fully utilize 12gb of RAM. A quick check shows it really starts to struggle at 4k resolutions, where the extra ram would come in handy.

Ehh screw it, I'll deal with spending a little extra. I'll go with the 3070 or better. Will I be able to run The Quarry and RE4 remake at 1080p with high settings? Not max exactly, but high?

Edit: The PC builder site is telling me this: "The Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Enermax Revolution D.F. 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not have any available. This connector is used to supply additional current. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands or extreme overclocking may require it." Should I go with a different PSU?

Last edited:
I skimmed the thread and didn't see it, sorry if you already posted - is your monitor just a basic 1080 monitor that tops out at 60 or 75hz? Because yes, a 3070 will handle it fine. A 3060 may even serve you long term. But if we're talking like 240, that's different.

Edit - a search shows that PSU has a 4x molex cable available. It's fine.

Yeah, I have a basic 60hz monitor with 1080p max, and that works for me. Is it best to get everything at once through this pc builder site which says that Amazon will compile and deliver the parts for me? Or should I buy everything piecemeal?

Edit: Nevermind, Amazon gives an error when trying to do that. I'm assuming because two of the parts are from Newegg or something.

Last edited:
With graphics cards, it looks like ... on RTX3060, you have to lower the details or display resolution to perform well, and then it won't use 12GB. RTX3070 is still not so much faster to run at 4K or max display details in the latest and the most demanding games, so 8GB will still be enough. You may find single games that pass 10GB.
I don't know if you accept AMD cards, but I have RX6800XT, and it works great in everything and is significantly faster than the RTX3070 (more like RTX3080). There were big price cuts for RX6700XT (about RTX3070 performance), RX6800 (maybe close to RTX3070Ti), and RX6800XT (RTX3080 performance, sometimes higher).

RTX4070 is listed for about $600 (and I guess you can find it cheaper). Maybe just get the new card and skip all these 2-year-old models. Remember that drivers with optimizations will be available for much longer on the new series.

I recommend a different PSU. If I'm right, then Enermax D.F. has a multi-rail design, and as I remember, I wasn't really happy about the unit I was testing. Still high quality, silent, and with braided cables, but 4x 12V rails were not really strong. It died later, but I have no idea why, as it wasn't overloaded or anything like that.
I usually stick with EVGA and Corsair. Recently I've been using FSP as they send their latest PSUs for tests/reviews, and I can say they're very good.
Here is EVGA Supernova - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gn...fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g6-0650-x1 as I remember it was one of the recommended PSUs not long time ago and in the worst case EVGA support is great.

With graphics cards, it looks like ... on RTX3060, you have to lower the details or display resolution to perform well, and then it won't use 12GB. RTX3070 is still not so much faster to run at 4K or max display details in the latest and the most demanding games, so 8GB will still be enough. You may find single games that pass 10GB.
I don't know if you accept AMD cards, but I have RX6800XT, and it works great in everything and is significantly faster than the RTX3070 (more like RTX3080). There were big price cuts for RX6700XT (about RTX3070 performance), RX6800 (maybe close to RTX3070Ti), and RX6800XT (RTX3080 performance, sometimes higher).
I'm not really interested in the whole 4K thing, and I'm not a settings blaster like almost every human being around me is. I value performance a hell of a lot more than I value graphics. I'd rather have buttery smooth fps at all times with okay/above-average/presentable graphics than to have 30-40fps sputtery performance with beautiful graphics. Though granted, I'd hate to play a game with the ugliest textures possible.

I usually just stick with 1080p. I don't need the biggest best monitor out there. That should also lessen the strain on my GPU. I have two monitors, but sometimes turn the other off as it increases my fps in some games. I'd like to think the 3070 should handle most of these AAA games at normal-to-high settings, not max. I'm looking forward to Age of Mythology: Retold

When I sell more houses, I might move up to the 6900XT if I'm not satisfied with the 3070.

Most of my parts came in, but I have another problem. As you can see, that 6800XT, as beautiful as it is, is an absolute space hog. I had to move one of my fans, so it's above the card. The case in a Phanteks P300. Can I get by with just one back and one front fan? I could put the fan on the outside of the case, but the mesh cover won't latch on properly. I know that's not the end of the world, but I'd like everything in place AND have that mesh cover latch perfectly. 111111111.jpg

Sadly, that Phanteks case is a mistake for a higher wattage setup. It has poor airflow and this card is 280W+ under high load, so expect it will be loud or will heat up everything else around. I have exactly the same card ... or maybe my brother has it right now. I also had Phanteks P300 case. I'm not saying get rid of that case, but figure out how to use more fans. Maybe slim, 14-15mm thick fan will fit next to the graphics card?

Also looks like the case fans are BOTH blowing out? AirFLOW is the key here. Flip the front fan to blow IN the case. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong though.

I also had Phanteks P300 case. I'm not saying get rid of that case, but figure out how to use more fans.
I've been posting for help on many forums. It would have been nice if someone mentioned all this about the case "being a mistake". Couldn't I just install the second fan OUTside of the case? It's possible since I've done it. I could still put the mesh cover back on, but I'd only be able to latch the upper part closed, while leaving the bottoms slightly open. That could work right?

Also, once I get my PSU, and if I'm really clever about it, will I be able to get all the wires through? I'm seeing pictures of all kinds of higher wattage builds with the P300 case, and some people don't seem to have a problem with it.

To reduce confusion, this is my full build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b6X4xs

Edit: Also, my CPU fan. Does the RGB cable go in D_LED2?

Edit: Also, my CPU fan. Does the RGB cable go in D_LED2?
Depends on what kind of header you have on the CPU.. 3-pin goes to 3-pin ARGB headers (any), and 4-pin to 4-pin RGB headers (any). The cooler in your PCP list appears to be ARGB... so any ARGB header on the board to control it through there.

Also, once I get my PSU, and if I'm really clever about it, will I be able to get all the wires through? I'm seeing pictures of all kinds of higher wattage builds with the P300 case, and some people don't seem to have a problem with it.

Since the PSU is modular and you don't use (I think) SATA HDD/SSD, then you can use only graphics card cables +mobo power. It makes everything much easier.
You won't really know how it works until you install everything and test it.

People say weird things on the web. Many people claim their ITX builds with RTX4090 are silent and are not overheating. You can't hear the photos :) My point is that P300 is well-known as a bad airflow case, and this model has been on the market for a couple of years, so it's a bit weird that on other forums, no one mentioned that. You have the version which already has mesh, but it started with a solid front and only a small gap for air intake. Phanteks added a mesh version as the case gathered a lot of bad reviews.

In general, the part list looks fine, but it's hard to say how real temps will be under high load. I wish to be wrong here, but also, what I call loud or hot can still be fine for others or can be hot but not too hot, so it will keep stability and below-throttling temps.

Now I got this garbage going on...

Whoever designed this case did NOT go to Harvard. Jeeeeeeesus Christ. I can't catch a break here. If it's in the space above, the USB thing can't reach, if it's where it is in the image, it can't reach. This feels like a ******* prank. I also can't properly get one of the side panels on.

I haven't even got my PSU yet. I don't know if this thing is gonna turn on. As for the USB 3.2 thing, there's a space/hole to the right a bit where I could snake the wire through. However, I'd have to pull the mobo forward a bit, and I don't want to damage it.

Anyone got good recommendations for cases? I might just go to Best Buy and quickly get one because I can't take this anymore.

Edit: This dude went through the same thing. I never wanted to smack a case designer so hard.

Attachments

• 4444.jpg
    4444.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Believe me, every case in the last months that I had in my hands has some issues. Usually it's 20-30mm too short to install something, but there are other things too.

Generally for air cooling Fractal cases are good. On Best Buy I can't find many cases that I could recommend. I see Corsair 4000D which is pretty good and should be large enough, but I'm not sure if the best in this price. Most good cases will cost at least around $100. You are also limited by the graphics card as most cases have space for 320mm and you need 330-340mm.

I guess other forum members will add some more ideas about PC cases. I usually like less-popular options.

Back