• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for a new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apollyon2017

Registered
Hey y'all!

Been 8 years since I built a PC and would like some advice with parts. Currently the case I have is the Corsair Obsidian 800D full tower. Love this case and will be keeping it for my new build. What I'll be keeping for now due to my budget is my video card and hard drives. Eventually I'll replace the video card once I get a bit more money. From the looks of it, I'm leaning towards AMD. Been with Intel for 8 years now, I think it's time for a change :p. Plus Intel is expensive now lol. I'll post some screenshots of my current build. Then I'll show what CPU/Motherboard/RAM I'm looking to buy. Let me know your thoughts.:cool:

Current Build:
Untitled.jpg

Build I want:

CPU:
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 95W YD180XBCAEWOF Desktop Processor

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132963

RAM:
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory Kit Model CMD16GX4M2B3200C16

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233913

Welcome for starters :)
What will you be using the pc for and what's the budget?
The x370 chipset is designed for SLI and compared to the b370 the x370 has more usb and sli support.
Memory unless you insist on corsairs the g.skill trident z are a better choice and cheaper.
CPU why the 1800X it's rather expensive considering your on a budget. With cheaper memory (which is more compatible with ryzen) different mobo and a hexacore you can save approx €200 which you better spend on a good gpu for gaming.
Might be better to upgrade your gpu first, since the sandy bridge shouldn't be bottlenecking your system just yet.

Last edited:
Welcome for starters :)
What will you be using the pc for and what's the budget?
The x370 chipset is designed for SLI and compared to the b370 the x370 has more usb and sli support.
Memory unless you insist on corsairs the g.skill trident z are a better choice and cheaper.
Might be better to upgrade your gpu first, since the sandy bridge shouldn't be bottlenecking your system just yet.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I use my current PC for light video editing (Adobe Premiere) and Lightroom. I fly a DJI Inspire 1, so I like editing the video off of that. My current rig gets destroyed if I render out 4K lolll. Occasionally I play games, not much because I'm on the PS4. However, I'd still want a rig powerful enough to game. That's why I'm sort of on the fence on upgrading my current GPU. The games out right now play smooth at ultra settings, which is crazy coming from an 8 year rig lol. For example, Wolfenstein II The New Colossus on ultra plays amazing:attn:.

Would a new CPU/Motherboard and RAM cause bottlenecking with my current GPU? Hopefully not :S.

As for RAM goes... I'm fine with whatever RAM. I was going with Corsair because that's what I currently have in my system. If I can get faster RAM at a lower cost, hell ya I'm down for that lol.

Which motherboard would you recommend?

Oh and as for budget... Anything under $2,000 is perfect for me. If I can squeeze it under $1,400 that'll be perfect. I can buy extra stuff, maybe a good water cooling kit for the new CPU.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I use my current PC for light video editing (Adobe Premiere) and Lightroom. Occasionally I play games, not much because I'm on the PS4. However, I'd still want a rig powerful enough to game. That's why I'm sort of on the fence on upgrading my current GPU. The games out right now play smooth at ultra settings, which is crazy coming from an 8 year rig lol. For example, Wolfenstein II The New Colossus on ultra plays amazing:attn:.

Would a new CPU/Motherboard and RAM cause bottlenecking with my current GPU? Hopefully not :S.

As for RAM goes... I'm fine with whatever RAM. I was going with Corsair because that's what I currently have in my system. If I can get faster RAM at a lower cost, hell ya I'm down for that lol.

Which motherboard would you recommend?

Oh and as for budget... Anything under $2,000 is perfect for me. If I can squeeze it under $1,400 that'll be perfect. I can buy extra stuff, maybe a good water cooling kit for the new CPU.

Ah then you need 1800X, consider the ram and mobo unless you really need the extra usb ports from the x370 chipset and the dominators.
I have a Enermax liqmax 2 240 aio and it performs better then expected and imo better then expected.
I have no first hand experience with ryzen mobos, so I am sure other might correct me.
Asus is always a good choice in terms of quality, although I lean towards gigabyte . They are all quite similar just a few minor features differentia them so pick based on your needs.
A 1080 or 1070TI are always a good choice for gaming but unless you're gaming at 2k or higher with more the 60 fps you don't need a 1080 just yet. They will also help with rendering but there's the pricetag as well.
Consider replacing your PSU as well within 2 years just incase.

Last edited:
Ah then you need 1800X, consider the ram and mobo unless you really need the extra usb ports from the x370 chipset and the dominators.
A 1080 or 1070TI are always a good choice for gaming but unless you're gaming at 2k or higher with more the 60 fps you don't need a 1080 just yet. They will also help with rendering but there's the pricetag as well.
Consider replacing your PSU as well within 2 years just incase.

I might stay with the motherboard, but the ram you have me thinking :p. Maybe years ago I did use G.Skill ram and loved them. Might consider getting that, instead of Corsair. Which G.Skill ram modules you think I should go with?

I wish I can game at 2K or 4K. My monitor is only 1080i :( lol.

The 1800X AMD chip looks pretty serious. 8 cores has me veryyyyyyyy interested indeed lol.

As for my PSU, I believe it's 1000 watt. It's from Corsair. I'm sure it'll hold up just fine, until I get a new video card that is power hungry haha. Starting of 2018 is when I'll be removing my cpu/motherboard and ram and replacing them.

The trident Z 3000 or 3200. The 3200 should be supported as oc option on your mobo, same goes for 3000 otherwise it will run at 2966 MHz. This memory is also recommended for am4 mobos due it having the Samsung dies and tight timings.

The trident Z 3000 or 3200. The 3200 should be supported as oc option on your mobo, same goes for 3000 otherwise it will run at 2966 MHz. This memory is also recommended for am4 mobos due it having the Samsung dies and tight timings.

Awesome! Good to know :) I'll check out that ram right now.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232475

I'm in love! :attn::attn:

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts of this mobo?

ASRock X370 Taichi AM4 AMD Promontory X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157757

Looks Nice, so you need the additional usb and sata featured by the x370 chipset?
This mobo has 2 m.2 slots, 1 runs on the pci-e and the other replaces 2 SATA ports to operate.
M.2 is a viable option for your OS HDD later on.

Looks Nice, so you need the additional usb and sata featured by the x370 chipset?
This mobo has 2 m.2 slots, 1 runs on the pci-e and the other replaces 2 SATA ports to operate.
M.2 is a viable option for your OS HDD later on.

Is M.2 replacing SSD drives? I saw a few M.2 cards and I'm amazed how tiny they are. And they're cheaper than an actual SSD drive. This M.2 acts as a drive and not something that will boot up the system quickly? As for GPU's go. I most likely won't be using the SLi feature.

I was also looking at this mobo. What do you think? https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157756

Eventually I'll like to overclock the CPU and GPU a bit, nothing major. Not sure if the Asus board I wanted previously is overkill. Or is this ASRock board good too?

Last edited:
Did you just say Intel is expensive and list the 1800X for $599???
If you really want an 1800X please tell me you live close enough to pick one of these up in store:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/485483/1800X
If not at least get it from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-18...275&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ryzen+7+1800x&psc=1

The new 6 core Intel's really close the gap in multi-threaded performance. There are a cpl benchmarks where the 8 core Ryzens still lead by a decent bit but not many. And in gaming the better IPC of Intel puts them squarely in the lead. If you really want to go Ryzen though I won't talk you out of it. Love my 1700, I know it was a better choice for me at the time over a 7700K because I work from home on this system and run VM's and tons of apps all day and it runs so nice. I also game at 4K and there is zero difference between Intel and AMD at that rez.

Also know that the 1800X is super lucky to hit 4.1 and it could take more juice than you want to run daily to hit it. 4.0 is more likely for daily usage at a low voltage. This wall is where most Ryzens hit. My 1700 will do 3.9, maybe 4.0 if I pushed it even harder, but the temps at full load were higher than I wanted for everyday usage so I just stuck at 3.8. You are basically getting the best bining by going 1800X but you can also get just as lucky with a 1700, 1700X, 1800, etc. Once you OC the chips are identical and the difference in performance between 3.8-4.1 is not much but could still be like 5-10% in apps that use all the cores.

For the ram, Ryzen really likes memory speed. 3200 is really where you want to be. To pretty much guarantee you get there you want 3200C14 so you know you get Samsung B-Die and not Hynix. Its freaking crazy expensive to get the Trident-Z RGB stuff.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232485
I know I bought 2 of these kits, but damn does 4 RGB memory lights look sweet.

The cheaper non-rgb version:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

This is just another area that jacks up the price on Ryzen vs Intel you can get $150-175 ram as there chipset can run cheaper ram at full speed easier and higher speeds give much less performance increase.

For the MB, that price is nuts. If you really want it little better on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-X370-...D=51NXlJ%2B7g2L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Still nuts to me. Maybe go with the Taichi, considered the best OC'er.
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-X370-...pID=51ag9qRhEVL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Did you just say Intel is expensive and list the 1800X for $599???
If you really want an 1800X please tell me you live close enough to pick one of these up in store:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/485483/1800X
If not at least get it from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-18...275&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ryzen+7+1800x&psc=1

The new 6 core Intel's really close the gap in multi-threaded performance. There are a cpl benchmarks where the 8 core Ryzens still lead by a decent bit but not many. And in gaming the better IPC of Intel puts them squarely in the lead. If you really want to go Ryzen though I won't talk you out of it. Love my 1700, I know it was a better choice for me at the time over a 7700K because I work from home on this system and run VM's and tons of apps all day and it runs so nice. I also game at 4K and there is zero difference between Intel and AMD at that rez.

the difference is still 2000 points in passmark, ok not totaly reliable but if you line up all the benchmarks and synthetics you could get more specefic scores based on what you do with the CPU, I use it as a general rule of thumb.
however compare the 7920k which is priced around the 1800X and you get a superior intel system with a difference of roughly 4000 points on passmark. I like the ryzen and if my current system wasn't on par with the ryzen 1600x I would've upgraded to ryzen, sadly the performance just wasn't worth the upgrade to a ryzen (€500,- for a 2 core increase wasn't worth it especially the memory prices currently)

For the ram, Ryzen really likes memory speed. 3200 is really where you want to be. To pretty much guarantee you get there you want 3200C14 so you know you get Samsung B-Die and not Hynix. Its freaking crazy expensive to get the Trident-Z RGB stuff.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232485
I know I bought 2 of these kits, but damn does 4 RGB memory lights look sweet.

The cheaper non-rgb version:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

This is just another area that jacks up the price on Ryzen vs Intel you can get $150-175 ram as there chipset can run cheaper ram at full speed easier and higher speeds give much less performance increase.

memory prices in my country are about the same, where as the lower speed get more expensive since they are getting to the end of life point but are still wanted (thus they become more expensive) while the newer ones stay more stable, hence the gap between lower speed memory and high speed memory closes and intels lower memory price is diminished.

For the MB, that price is nuts. If you really want it little better on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-X370-...D=51NXlJ%2B7g2L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Still nuts to me. Maybe go with the Taichi, considered the best OC'er.
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-X370-...pID=51ag9qRhEVL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I still advice going the B350 chipset for functionality but aesthetics is a plus aswell and the additional features might be the reason to go for it in the end.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does the program you use to render use Cuda ? If so using the GPU would be much faster ( 2x) than any new CPU upgrade . Even as low as any (newish inc your CPU with as little as a 660gtx Gives much faster times vs even a TR and 7900x . If your Media program I would get one that does .
Have you ever overclocked your CPU ? That might give you a speed increase (for the short time)
If I was buying a R8 it would be the 1700 far better deal vs the 1800x ( doesnt come with a HSF ) and most clock around the same ( 3.8-4.0 ) so the 1800x is only for those that want the best of the best.
In Canada shipping costs are a pain in the *** , so I get all my parts from the same place so I dont have 10-15$ shipping on each item . I normally use www.memoryexpress.com ( no affiliate) they have 8.99 ( i think) shipping any where in the country for up to 100lbs .

Does the program you use to render use Cuda ? If so using the GPU would be much faster ( 2x) than any new CPU upgrade . Even as low as any (newish inc your CPU with as little as a 660gtx Gives much faster times vs even a TR and 7900x . If your Media program I would get one that does .
Have you ever overclocked your CPU ? That might give you a speed increase (for the short time)
If I was buying a R8 it would be the 1700 far better deal vs the 1800x ( doesnt come with a HSF ) and most clock around the same ( 3.8-4.0 ) so the 1800x is only for those that want the best of the best.
In Canada shipping costs are a pain in the *** , so I get all my parts from the same place so I dont have 10-15$ shipping on each item . I normally use www.memoryexpress.com ( no affiliate) they have 8.99 ( i think) shipping any where in the country for up to 100lbs .

I believe Adobe Premiere uses Cuda, can't remember. My guess it does though. Eventually I'll upgrade the GPU, just can't right now. It should hold me off until I get extra $$$ to get a nice GPU at least a $500 one. What is the difference from the i7X and the Ryzen 1800x chip. I wanted the i7x, but it's pricey like $800 pricey for just the chip. Kinda why I was leaning towards the Ryzen 1800x chip. At least the 1800x is fast at a lower cost no?

The 1700X has a 200 Mhz slower clock/boost speed compared to the 1800X (3.4-3.8 vs 3.6-4.0), however if you are lucky with the sillicon lottery you can OC the 1700X to 4.0 Ghz like the 1800X for alot less money.

I believe Adobe Premiere uses Cuda, can't remember. My guess it does though. Eventually I'll upgrade the GPU, just can't right now. It should hold me off until I get extra $$$ to get a nice GPU at least a $500 one. What is the difference from the i7X and the Ryzen 1800x chip. I wanted the i7x, but it's pricey like $800 pricey for just the chip. Kinda why I was leaning towards the Ryzen 1800x chip. At least the 1800x is fast at a lower cost no?

What im saying about using Cuda It doesnt matter the card time to render for 660gtx us 1080ti is pretty much the same .

The 1800 is faster in most other rendering programs from what I have seen , for less $ .
reason we say get a 1700 is because all you have to do is change the multi and it is a 1800 . =) the ryzens are all unlocked .

What im saying about using Cuda It doesnt matter the card time to render for 660gtx us 1080ti is pretty much the same .

The 1800 is faster in most other rendering programs from what I have seen , for less $ .
reason we say get a 1700 is because all you have to do is change the multi and it is a 1800 . =) the ryzens are all unlocked .

Ah I get it! :p So that's the only difference is 200 mhz? Wow... Hmmm. What water cooler should I get for the CPU then? If I get the 1700x I want it to sit idle at a nice low temp. My current CPU sits at 35C, I'm also using Corsair H100i I believe.

Thanks guys for the help btw! You guys rock! :)

Check Corsair their website about ordering a am4 bracket, they offer them, dunno if they still support your H100I. The h100I should be plenty for a 95W tdp CPU.

I'll check. To be honest, I don't mind buying a new water cooler :)

Although your h100I will cool a ryzen np at low nouse levels, if your open for a new one I can recommend a Liqmax II from Enermax, they are priced similar to Corsair and alot cheaper then nzxt, I would stay away from CM aio (their price is very competitive but you get what you pay for, a middle class cooler for a competitive price).
Enermax and Corsair also provide am4 brackets free of charge if you have their aio and a ryzen, I believe nzxt as well not sure. Their respective websites can provide you with more information.

Back