• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it were me, and if I were sticking with the AS display, I'd swap the 12700F with a 12700K to get the onboard graphics, drop the discrete card all together, and grab an active adapter. The 1030 looks to be slightly beefier than the 770 iGPU but like ED said it's not exactly a monster of a card so IMO you're not losing much.
After careful consideration, I'm going to try and return the "F" for the "K" CPU, then get an adapter that connects the display port on the MB to the DL DVI monitor, Also return the 1030
Which one of these two will work?

Also thinking about an M2 drive, should i get a 22110 ? 2280 ? I'm looking for 2TB since it doesn't take long before storage reaches capacity with all these hungry apps and OS.

Last edited:
After careful consideration, I'm going to try and return the "F" for the "K" CPU, then get an adapter that connects the display port on the MB to the DL DVI monitor, Also return the 1030
Which one of these two will work?

Also thinking about an M2 drive, should i get a 22110 ? 2280 ? I'm looking for 2TB since it doesn't take long before storage reaches capacity with all these hungry apps and OS.

Theoretically they should both work but I'd go with the Startech. Can't find much on the HP adapter, but all of the listings I'm seeing are saying they're for HP's business line. Chances are that's just a generic copy-pasted description direct from HP, but my paranoia is kicking in and I can't rule out HP pulling something sneaky that'll make the adapters not quite "universal".

Going by the Newegg motherboard specs, that Asus board is only compatible with NVMe drives up to 2280, which is pretty much the standard anyway. Within that spec it just depends on how much $$$ you want to throw at it. The Samsung 980 Pros are higher end and pretty popular.

Giant +1 to above.

Although Lian Li likely has a 1700 kit, it makes sense to buy one fresh that has everything you need.

I also agree on the storage drive. You upgraded capacity, but not speed over 10 years ago. Might as well go for PCIe M.2 for your OS(fast). A 2.5" SSD is so 2015 (regardless if the difference IRL isn't much between a SATA SSD and PCIe SSD). :p

Worth noting, you don't remotely need a 850W PSU for this system. You put a potato (for gaming) graphics card in that sips on power and the CPU is ~180W. I'd looking for something in the 650W range which should save you a few bucks you can put towards that M.2 PCIe SSD. 650W is also plenty to drive this system with a more capable mid-range graphics card too.
Received that AIO yesterday, and it list the 1700 on the box. First introduced in January 2022, so it is the newest cooler on the market.
I will get an M2 drive, just not sure yet which one to get 22110 or 2280, but hoping it will have 2TB

Ahh, good. Perhaps they should update their website, lol.

As was said above, 80mm (your mobo doesnt have space for 110mm). There are plenty of 80mm m.2 modules. We've reviewed several on the front page...check out some reviews!

I like the Samsung EVO drives, Mushkin Helix, Adata Atom and XPG gammix... there are several good ones.

Last edited:
I still have a running SSD by them. I just replaced a PSU that was in my dads old computer. I know I haven't seen then advertised so I thought I'd ask.

As was said above, 80mm (your mobo doesnt have space for 110mm). There are plenty of 80mm m.2 modules. We've reviewed several on the front page...check out some reviews!

I like the Samsung EVO drives, Mushkin Helix, Adata Atom and XPG gammix... there are several good ones.
According to the specs, the MB does have space for 110
1646968546866.png

That's what we get for going with the Newegg specs! :p

Still, no need to run a 110mm module when you can do it in 80mm... which is a lot more common as you'll see looking at those reviews, for example. ;)

That's what we get for going with the Newegg specs! :p

Still, no need to run a 110mm module when you can do it in 80mm... which is a lot more common as you'll see looking at those reviews, for example. ;)
If I'm going to go all out for a 10 year build, those 1TB M2 drives just won't go the distance, and will fill up in a year's time. The Win11 OS will grab a huge chunk of that alone.
What happened to "investing the capital" and "going all out" ? Just thought that is the reason for going with the latest and greatest and newest tech available.
Coulda just gone with the 570 if I wanted to put an outdated M2 measly 1 TB drive in it.
Those reviews are like 2, 3, and 4 years old, with one way back in 2018
I'm going with no less than a 2280, 2 TB M2, PCI express 4.0 x 4 if you can recommend or are aware of one.

Last edited:
If I'm going to go all out for a 10 year build, those 1TB M2 drives just won't go the distance, and will fill up in a year's time.
What's stopping you from getting a 2TB? Not us!!! Those are examples to get your feet wet. ;)

That said, you're still working with a 120GB SSD, a 150GB HDD and 600GB HDD... The 1TB is more space than those combined. you can still reuse what you have, or, get a larger drive. There are many ways to do this...it's not like we've boxed you in, lol.

The Win11 OS will grab a huge chunk of that alone.
W11 alone is several GB... I'm sure applications and especially games and such take up a lot more.

What happened to "investing the capital" and "going all out" ? Just thought that is the reason for going with the latest and greatest and newest tech available.
I was just giving you some examples. Independent research is a good thing too. ;)

If you want a smoking fast drive, grab a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB and call it a day. :cheers:

I like having one that is fast, yet also runs cool and reliable.
So is this it?
Not sure if I can use the model with the heatsink, but this drive offers two types.

Those drives I'm currently using are maxed out and in the red, with less than a few mb of free space. LOL

Last edited:
Back