• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you use DDR4 memory with DDR5 cpu intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

Can you use this memory with this cpu?

Check this out on @Newegg: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-20-231-941-_-07172022

Check this out on @Newegg: Intel Core i5-12600K - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 10-Core (6P+4E) 3.7 GHz LGA 1700 125W Intel UHD Graphics 770 Desktop Processor - BX8071512600K
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-19-118-347-_-07172022

There are a few motherboards that are spec'd to use DDR4 ram. As far as I know- all boards are either ddr4 or ddr5. You would want to make sure that whatever you 0purchase, has matching hardware

Yes. You need to choose a z690 or b660 that supports ddr4. Should be in the name, for sure in the specs. ;)

Edit: z690 is fully overclockable (cpu and memory) while b660 is memory only.

Last edited:
I am in the Process of building a new PC i7 12700k MSI Pro z690 ddr5 wifi. Bought a 32gb DDR5 6200mhz RGB and so damn expensive right now. DDR4 is cheaper but you must buy a motherboard that specifically support DDR4.

I wonder the DDR5 price will drop soon similar to the current GPU price dropping significantly.

DDR5 prices have dropped some over the past month or so. I don't think we'll see a significant drop soon though (the GPU market and this one, the reasons for high prices are dramatically different).

Think that 32GB DDR5-6000 costs as much as high-end 32GB DDR4-3600 CL14/4000 CL16. DDR5 at least for now is considered high-end and dedicated to more expensive setups, so I can't really see it so expensive (except for single really overpriced kits). It's more that people are used to seeing much cheaper 16GB DDR4 kits which are enough for most gaming PCs.
Prices will go down in some months but not as much as some people expect. Intel is pushing DDR5 for all chipsets in the next gen, which will probably cause wider availability and lower prices.

Graphics cards are getting cheaper much faster because (besides other factors) there were too many GPUs manufactured and at least Nvidia is trying to sell most of them before the new series premiere. The new series is already delayed because of that. DDR5 has no pressure like that so will be cheaper but prices won't drop so fast.

Unless the MB has ram sockets for DDR4 and sockets for DDR5, you can't use DDR4 on a DDR5 MB. DDR5 has onboard VRM (see pic). They do use the same socket but not the same pinout. Way back in the stone ages I have seen MB's with DDR2 sockets and DDR3 sockets :)

ddr5.jpg

The last time motherboards supported two generations of RAM was when they went from DDR2 to DDR3. I had a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R that had two DDR2 slots and four DDR3 slots. Kinda funny that they labeled them as DDR II and DDR III on the motherboard. Initially I used two sticks of DDR2 I had from a previous build and then later went to DDR3 when prices came down.

GA-P35C-DS3R.jpg

Yeah, it's been forever since we saw those. I can't tell what year that board came out, but the colors tell me it was a while ago (2007?), lol! Man, boards were (F)ugly back then!!

When I heard the new CPUs support both 4/5 I wondered if we would see such a thing again. Then I thought about it for a split second and realized there's no way, today, a company would allow that to happen. sad lulz. I mean if you can make someone potentially buy two boards................

Yeah, it's been forever since we saw those. I can't tell what year that board came out, but the colors tell me it was a while ago (2007?), lol! Man, boards were (F)ugly back then!!

When I heard the new CPUs support both 4/5 I wondered if we would see such a thing again. Then I thought about it for a split second and realized there's no way, today, a company would allow that to happen. sad lulz. I mean if you can make someone potentially buy two boards................
Yep, 2007. It ran quite a variety of CPUs in no particular order: Conroe, Presler, Prescott, Smithfield, Wolfdale, Yorkfield, Kentsfield, Pentium, Cedar Mill, Northwood .......... I know I ran a Pentium D dual core space heater in, likely the older Smithfield, it along with a bunch of Conroes.

@DaveB there was ASRock with DDR1+DDR2 before that - https://www.asrock.com/mb/via/4coredual-sata2/ and there were EDO+SDRAM motherboards much earlier too. However, I don't think that other brands than ASRock were playing with these things since the P4 era. I thought the board you posted was the last one with 2 different RAM types but surprise, I found this mobo - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150M Combo-G/
ASRock had weird ideas for years like 2 different CPU sockets (one on an add-in card) and other things that other brands never tried (or couldn't design).
The last gen for many weird brands was probably C2D. I think it was about then when Epox, Soltek, PCChips and some others left the market. DFI not much later and brands like ECS maybe exist but only on the Asian market.

Last edited:
I have a MB with 486 and 8 30 pin ram sockets and 2 72 pin ram sockets, but could not use all of them at same time, 1 of the 72 pin sockets sharded the same bank id as 4 of the 30 pin sockets.

Picture 005.jpg

I remember there was one generation where you could mix different RAM but it was working as a slower one. I don't remember what it was.
These older motherboards had something interesting in them. All new look like toys.
We could start a thread showing how old and still working stuff forum members have. I bet we would see something interesting :)

@DaveB there was ASRock with DDR1+DDR2 before that - https://www.asrock.com/mb/via/4coredual-sata2/ and there were EDO+SDRAM motherboards much earlier too. However, I don't think that other brands than ASRock were playing with these things since the P4 era. I thought the board you posted was the last one with 2 different RAM types but surprise, I found this mobo - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150M Combo-G/
ASRock had weird ideas for years like 2 different CPU sockets (one on an add-in card) and other things that other brands never tried (or couldn't design).
The last gen for many weird brands was probably C2D. I think it was about then when Epox, Soltek, PCChips and some others left the market. DFI not much later and brands like ECS maybe exist but only on the Asian market.
Yes, I had a FIC VA-503+ that took both EDO SIMMs and SDRAM back in the day. Didn't know about that ASRock B150 though, never saw one "in the wild".

FIC VA-503+.jpg

Yes, I had a FIC VA-503+ that took both EDO SIMMs and SDRAM back in the day. Didn't know about that ASRock B150 though, never saw one "in the wild".
FIC, one of the brands that disappeared 20 years ago ;) The one on the photo even has double power connectors if I see it right.
I guess that this B150 mobo was available only in China. They release some products only for specific markets. Like even now you may have big problems buying top OC series or some SOC models in the EU. Top OC are always available in the US. The same is doing EVGA as they sell the Dark/Kingpin series only in the US.

FIC, one of the brands that disappeared 20 years ago ;) The one on the photo even has double power connectors if I see it right.
I guess that this B150 mobo was available only in China. They release some products only for specific markets. Like even now you may have big problems buying top OC series or some SOC models in the EU. Top OC are always available in the US. The same is doing EVGA as they sell the Dark/Kingpin series only in the US.
It was a Baby AT/ATX motherboard, which have different power connections. My early builds in 1998 were with Shuttle Hot-569/571 motherboards which were Baby AT format but also had the ATX power connector. Both also supported EDO SIMMs and SDRAM.

Back