• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cersos

The last time I built a PC was too many years ago. I purchased a bunch of hardware only to come here afterwards and get the advice from you experts that I could have done better or at least different and made my life easier.

I'm not new at this, but I'm also not current in my hardware knowledge. I'd prefer to build a near top end PC and use it for several years. I'm also not a big gamer. However, I do a lot of video work; transcoding, editing, etc.

I'd like to to do a minor overclock, something stable.

If you don't mind giving me some feed back on the components I've selected I'd appreciate it. Spend more here, spend less there, you know...

Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB CC-9011098-WW Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR
Intel Core i9-7940X Skylake X 14-Core 3.1 GHz LGA 2066 165W BX80673I97940X Desktop Processor
Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO Low Noise 240mm RGB Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060033-WW)
ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
CORSAIR AXi Series AX1500i Digital 1500W 80 PLUS TITANIUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply with C-Link Monitoring and Control
Intel Optane SSD 905P Series (960GB, 1/2 Height PCIe x4, 3D XPoint) - SSDPED1D960GAX1
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7P512BW
WD Gold 12TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD121KRYZ
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Alternatively the entire build list is on Newegg

Thanks,
Steve

Mobo is overkill for your uses. You can save $200 by getting X299 Taichi XE or something similar that fits your theme/taste better. For ambient overclocks, just about any board will do. It comes down features, appearance, and price.

PSU is 3x what you need even with overclocking. Id grab 650W EVGA P3 if only using one GPU.

Also, there is zero point in optane when you ahve a NVME drive as you OS drive.... unless you plan on having that speed up your platter? To which I would wonder why. Even if you put your files on there, they will change frequently and who knows how long it sits in data. Take the money you saved with the mobo and PSU and get another NVMe drive if you need more speed on warm storage.

Last edited:
Mobo is overkill for your uses. You can save $200 by getting X299 Taichi XE or something similar that fits your theme/taste better. For ambient overclocks, just about any board will do. It comes down looks, appearance and price.

PSU is 3x what you need even with overclocking. Id grab 650W EVGA P3 if only using one GPU.

Also, there is zero point in optane when you ahve a NVME drive as you OS drive.... unless you plan on having that speed up your platter? To which I would wonder why. Even if you put your files on there, they will change frequently and who knows how long it sits in data. Take the money you saved with the mobo and PSU and get another NVMe drive if you need more speed on warm storage.

I really appreciate all of your insights. The platter is just for media storage. I was planning on using the Optane for O/S and applications, and using the Samsung NVMe for scratch space, read from one, write to the other when transcoding video and such. Maybe that is just unnecessary since the Optain is so fast.

Thanks again,
Steve

Oh, sheesh, that is the 3D Xpoint OPtane... hmmm... well.. it is likely overkill honestly. Not sure its worth 1.2K in a build. I'd rather rock 2 NVMe drives than have that speed up something else. It just adds a layer of complexity that isn't typically worth the returns.

Strix XE - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...25&cm_re=x299_strix_xe-_-13-119-029-_-Product
Taichi - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=asrock_x299_taichi_xe-_-13-157-797-_-Product
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3144053&cm_re=msi_x299-_-13-144-053-_-Product
Giga ultra gaming 3 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...CE8825&cm_re=Giga_x299-_-13-145-015-_-Product

etc......

Back