• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed as I know nothing about newer components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickodemos

Was wanting advice on a few things. Mainly wanting to future proof gaming rig. Current one is showing its age at nine years.

First was wondering about salvaging my GPU until I can purchase a more modern one to save money now.

Not sure if my AIO would work with the I9. If not know of a decent one or a quite fan?

Should I go with the ram selected or 7600 for around the same price.

Might need a newer case if new cards are larger than the MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card.

Plan on harvesting the PSU if I can.

Also read a bit about the 13th Gen I9 can have issues with updating the bios. Read someone had to drop in an older CPU to get the BIOS updated. As I have no access to another CPU this could be an issue.

-edit

trying to keep price down but looking to spend around US $1500.

Make sure you buy a board that doesn't need a lower spec CPU to flash the BIOS.

Might need a newer case if new cards are larger than the MSI

Any modern GPU that is the same size as your 1060 is going to cause an imbalance in your system.

Definitely expect to upgrade your case to fit a GPU that compliments your CPU.

It's late for me so I haven't dived into the rest of your questions.

First was wondering about salvaging my GPU until I can purchase a more modern one to save money now.
You can use it, sure.

Not sure if my AIO would work with the I9. If not know of a decent one or a quite fan?
What AIO do you have??? Check the MFG website and see if there is a backplate kit for it. Otherwise, grab a new AIO... something 3x120mm would be best.

Should I go with the ram selected or 7600 for around the same price.
Depends on how close the price is.. I'd go 7600 at CL36 if they are that close in price. Otherwise, I doubt you'll notice a difference. Just make sure the board you select supports those sticks as that speed is getting up there where not all boards will support it (without some effort).

Might need a newer case if new cards are larger than the MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card.
They generally are bigger, yep. All you need to do is look at the specs of the card(s) you want and see what size they are. ;)

Plan on harvesting the PSU if I can.
What PSU is it + wattage? How old is it? You're likely fine but if it's several year old and MEH quality, I may think about upgrading to something newer. If it's that 1KW Prime Titanium, that is top notch and would run it until it breaks.

Also read a bit about the 13th Gen I9 can have issues with updating the bios. Read someone had to drop in an older CPU to get the BIOS updated. As I have no access to another CPU this could be an issue.
Only with Z690. Support for 12th and 13th-generation processors is native in Z790. Z690 boards likely need a flash to support 13th gen chips. Many boards have a BIOS Flashback feature that you don't need a CPU to do the flash, so there's that. You're getting Z790 anyway, so none of that matters. ;)

I'd avoid the i9 and go for the i7-13700K. It has the same core configuration as the 12th gen i9 but will run cooler than the i9-13900K. If you're near a Microcenter store you can pickup the i7-13700K/Asus Z790-P Prime/32GB DDR5-6000 combo for $550. Add an RTX 4070 12GB GDDR6X GPU for $600 and you're at about $1,200 including tax. So $300 for a case, PSU, NVMe SSD and AIO. They have a Montech X3 Mesh Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case with 6 fans for $60, a Corsair 750W PSU for $90, a Thermaltake 360mm AIO for $110, and several 1TB NVMe SSDs for $50 or less, or 2TB NVMe SSDs for under $100. So with a 1TB SSD, the total price would be just about at your $1,500 target price.

I'd avoid the i9 and go for the i7-13700K. It has the same core configuration as the 12th gen i9 but will run cooler than the i9-13900K. If you're near a Microcenter store you can pickup the i7-13700K/Asus Z790-P Prime/32GB DDR5-6000 combo for $550. Add an RTX 4070 12GB GDDR6X GPU for $600 and you're at about $1,200 including tax. So $300 for a case, PSU, NVMe SSD and AIO. They have a Montech X3 Mesh Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case with 6 fans for $60, a Corsair 750W PSU for $90, a Thermaltake 360mm AIO for $110, and several 1TB NVMe SSDs for $50 or less, or 2TB NVMe SSDs for under $100. So with a 1TB SSD, the total price would be just about at your $1,500 target price.
This is a very dangerous post. It almost has me upgrading. LoL

Thanks all. Will do a bit more to flesh out my build as it looks like I might as well just get everything but the PSU and GPU. Once tweaked will post back for advice.

Checked the combo that was suggested but looks like there is some issues with the MB. Seems to be 50/50 chance from what I read. I do like the idea of saving on power but also from what I read with the I9 will most likely be throttled down even with background processes running.

--edit

Will there be an issue with cables in such a large tower?

Last edited:
Checked the combo that was suggested but looks like there is some issues with the MB. Seems to be 50/50 chance
...chance of what?
but also from what I read with the I9 will most likely be throttled down even with background processes running.
Not entirely sure what this means either, lol. It won't throttle with background processes... it doesn't throttle in gaming either.... but stress tests or heavy multithreaded work, it can. :)

Chance that things wont fit. On Micro Center on the bottom of the page people were stating having issues with getting components to fit into their sockets.

On the second yeah I get that it wont throttle down. Was not in my best state of mind when writing.

And thanks to you all for the help. If you think of anything else to help admitted newb now since I not longer keep up with computers. Busy working towards my RN degree so swamped IRL.

Back