SupremeFX III vs Realtek ALC898

Anyone seen any comparisons?

I had someone ask me if it was worth it to buy a MoBo with the supremeFX so I tried to look around to find something and came up Nada.
    CPU/Mobo-2600K / Asus P8Z68 Gen3 Deluxe Laptop-Asus G73S
    GPU-Asus 680 DC ii 4 Gig/EVGA 680 4 Gig SLI goodness
    SSD/HDD-120 OCZ Agility, 256 OCZ Vector / Segate 1T
    Cooler-Custom loop
    Monitors-3x Asus 27" Surround goodness
    Case-Corsair 600T Graphite
    PSU-Corsair HX 850
    Folding User Stats

It's nothing special. It's generic on-board audio with a Creative sticker on top. Pure marketing. There's simply not room on an ATX motherboard for the analog circuitry necessary for a really good sound card without removing other components.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - FX-8350 - 32GiB 1600 Crucial low-profile 1.35v - 7970 3GiB - 8.1 Pro x64 / Gentoo amd64 - AX760
    Dell XPS 15 L502x - i7 2760QM - 16GiB 1600 - GT 540M 2GiB - 7 Pro x64 / Gentoo amd64 - Agility 4 512GB

[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    "Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
    Folding User Stats

I figured the differences would be nominal but you know how these things go..... you say it's not worth the extra 80 bucks and they come back with 'my buddy has it and says it twice as good *derp'.

Just the fact that no one seems to have done a comparison speaks volumes in my mind.
    CPU/Mobo-2600K / Asus P8Z68 Gen3 Deluxe Laptop-Asus G73S
    GPU-Asus 680 DC ii 4 Gig/EVGA 680 4 Gig SLI goodness
    SSD/HDD-120 OCZ Agility, 256 OCZ Vector / Segate 1T
    Cooler-Custom loop
    Monitors-3x Asus 27" Surround goodness
    Case-Corsair 600T Graphite
    PSU-Corsair HX 850
    Folding User Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Soulcatcher668 View Post
    I figured the differences would be nominal but you know how these things go..... you say it's not worth the extra 80 bucks and they come back with 'my buddy has it and says it twice as good *derp'.

Just the fact that no one seems to have done a comparison speaks volumes in my mind.
    The HDMI sound from youre gpu would sound better
    Intel Xeon x5690 E.S. @ Stock/H100
    Asus Rampage III Formula @ 133/3200/3200
    3x2GB STT Chrome @ 1333 6-6-6-20 1T
    Asus GTX 580 Matrix Platinum @ Stock
    Intel 520/WD Black
    Auzentech Prelude
    Thermaltake SP850M
    Fractal Design Define R4

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

The HDMI sound from youre gpu would sound better
    It would? How? I dont understand how that works, but thought that the onboard sound or discrete would be better than what a GPU can provide...?

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    It would? How? I dont understand how that works, but thought that the onboard sound or discrete would be better than what a GPU can provide...?
    I guess it would have to depend on your amp too..

I just plug the gpu into my amp thru hdmi, then another hdmi to my tv. You just have to make sure the audio in the cp is set to anything other than stereo, ie 5.1, 7.1, and it should be ok. It does 8 channel sound, and will pass dd and dts. Compareing to my Auzentech Prelude, its really not bad at all! My Auzentech is better than any onboard sound solution, by far.
    Intel Xeon x5690 E.S. @ Stock/H100
    Asus Rampage III Formula @ 133/3200/3200
    3x2GB STT Chrome @ 1333 6-6-6-20 1T
    Asus GTX 580 Matrix Platinum @ Stock
    Intel 520/WD Black
    Auzentech Prelude
    Thermaltake SP850M
    Fractal Design Define R4

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    Digital signal vs Analog (DAC turns Digital to Analog...)

Just like if someone was going to use SPDIF or RCA-type Optical it would be useless to buy a soundcard for those motherboards that have those type of output.

Also, the analog audio depends largely on EMI isolation on the board, where the Realtek chip is placed and the layout of components.

Ever notice how horrid the front out always is compared to the rear out with onboard sound?
    Overclocking on LN2 @ -196c...

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Honestly, no, LOL! I use the rear for the speakers and the front for my headphones. My cans sound just as good as my speakers (Altec Lansing 2.1) regardless where they are plugged in.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon