• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 GE VRM Temps and Vapor X Vs Double D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XiZE

I've recently been looking at different 7970 GE cards to purchase and was originally looking at the Gigabyte WF3. I read some of the reviews for it and apparently the VRMs are gettings temps from 95C-115C. The card itself comes at a higher voltage and clocks than reference and was wondering if this is one of the reasons it had such high VRM temps. I also did some research and found that reference coolers generally do better in regards to VRM temps, but as 7970 GE doesn't really have any reference models I was thinking about the XFX Double D (very slight OC from what I can tell but I may be reading it wrong, could be stock) and Sapphire Vapor X 3GB (at stock clocks).

Can anyone tell me if these cards will yield better temps for the VRMs than the Gigabyte card?

Which card would be the best from these three to go for (given a price difference of $10 between the three)?

Im guessing the WF3 is Windforce, but struggling to figure out 'GE' (Ghz Edition?). Please spell it out so we can understand with certainty the card(s) you are talking about.

As far as those three, the "WF3" would be the model I would choose. Solid cooling (at least on the core) there and I havent seen any complaints. Truth be told those VRM temps are fine really as I believe most are good to 150C or so... which ever is cheapest and looks good for you is what i would choose.

Yes, Windforce and Ghz Edition. Sorry about that :/ I had seen 7970 GE used around a lot so I sort of assumed that it was pretty common knowledge. Anyway, thanks for the info, I was somewhat worried about the lifespan if the VRM temps kept up at those temps.

Back