• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus HD6950 DCUII RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_Eagle_

Story short:
I had a Asus P8P67 LE Rev and tried to flash the bios to the newest one (I think it was 3602 at the time) and I had my 6950 with 6970 DCII bios. I guess something went wrong when the motherboard just _died_.
No "failes to load BIOS" messages, nothing. Tried all the possible recovery actions but none worked. As I figured out it was useless to try and send it to Asus I bought a new mobo, Asus P8Z77-V Pro. When I try to boot with the 6950 it lights up the GPU error led and doesn't boot. I have tried to return the stock GPU BIOS with the switch but doesn't help at all..
First: What do you think could have caused the simultaneous death of mobo and GPU?
Second: What are my odds to get a new 6950 with RMA? I have heard that Asus can't trace what BIOS's have been used with the 6950 as far as it runs on the stock BIOS, and I really am not sure what BIOS it is running currently. What would you do?

power-surge i guess... can do it. I know i've had someone give me a PC to fix, only to find both the MB and GPU were toast. both at the same time. I (wisely i think) chose to replace the PSU prior to replacing the MB and GPU.

As to your problem, are you sure the original MB is toast? if the GPU isn't working or shorting something out it can cause issues loading the pc, from time to time. Have you tried that GPU in another computer to see if it is indeed broken, and not a bad mb from asus?

When you say you "tried everything" that leaves open a lot of room for interpretation... perhaps you can be more specific about the steps you used to fix the MB/Bios/GPU.

Well, I've tried at least the Crashfree BIOS and flashing the (recovery?) BIOS file from a CD and from a USB-stick, formatted to FAT32. (yes, it would have been good to try with FAT16 also..) And yes, that was dumbly said that "I've tried everything" since now when I started to think about it again, there are more ways and because of that I can't be 100% sure that the old mobo is broken. And about the GPU: I haven't been able to try it on anyone else's comp because we haven't been able to fit it there and on the local IT store they didn't have powerful enough PSU on their comps. Since I've moved to a new city I could find a store that could test it though.

E: I just remembered that I even ordered a new BIOS chip to the P8P67 and it did no effect.

Last edited:
I recall some users having problems with a flashed 6950 card and the 3xxx bios update. Though flicking the switch to the default 6950 bios worked for them. It was just that the flashed 6970 bios gave problems with the mobo bios.
General consensus is for users to stay with 2302 for p8p boards if it's rev.3.0 and only flash to the newest bios if you want to put the 3570/3770 cpu on it.
The bad thing is that you can't flash back to 2302 once the 3xxx series is flashed.

Does the new board has multiple pcie slots for videocards? Have you tried the other slots?
Have you connected the proper power cables to your videocard? Maybe you forgot one when assembling your new motherboard?

Could be the card is bad, could be the psu is bad, hard to find out if you haven't got a second system.

Back