• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7870 could be artifacting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaredavidporter

I recently received my 7870 in the mail. Thought I'd throw crysis on max settings and give it a spin. After playing for about 5 minutes some strange anomalies started to occur. You can check out this video I made to see it for yourself. I would suggest running the video at 720p for better clarity. At the beginning of the video you can see white dots trailing across the screen while I'm staring at a wall. It can be a bit faint but it's still visible.

I'm using the 12.11 beta drivers. I also had an nvidia card previously but I uninstalled all the drivers before inserting my 7870 so there shouldn't be any conflicting issues. I'm not sure if this is artifact or if it's something exclusive to crysis. I'll have to test some more games out in the meantime. I ran Starcraft 2 and Heaven benchmark without any hiccups. If you guys need any additional information, please, let me know. Thanks!

could be the monitor too... i ran into an almost identical problem once, nearly pulled my hair out trying to solve it until I noticed it was the same pixels... no matter what I was doing. Lets eliminate the monitor as a possibility first. Then the cables... i fixed the aforementioned problem by swapping out the cables. strange problem, but there it was.

Looks like some artifact from your video that you have posted so that should rule out your monitor.

Did you delete your saved games folder with crysis? that can cause a problem like you are having?

Just put the saved game folder in the recycle bin, then give the game a try if it does not fix the problem you can restore the file.

I think the file is a shader file that causes problems when you switch brands of video cards.

Last edited:
Looks like some artifact from your video that you have posted so that should rule out your monitor.

Did you delete your saved games folder with crysis? that can cause a problem like you are having?

Just put the saved game folder in the recycle bin, then give the game a try if it does not fix the problem you can restore the file.

I think the file is a shader file that causes problems when you switch brands of video cards.

I should have looked at the video

I went ahead and reinstalled the game and it's still happening. I ran most of my other games including far cry 3, which is pretty gpu intensive, and haven't had any problems. I'm still not sure if it's the GPU or the game though. Maybe my power supply is too weak? That's my only other thought on what it might be. I'm using the one in my sig.

That looks like a texture load issue. Try lowering the memory speed ~25 Mhz and see if it goes away.

I just updated to the most recent patch and it stopped occurring. I'm also getting about 35% more fps which is fantastic. Seems 1.00 vanilla had a lot of problems; I didn't even think to patch it ha. Thanks for the help anyways, much appreciated.

A lot of people are seeing similar issues with the new beta drivers. I saw the same issue in Far Cry 3 - as well as insane levels of screen tearing even with vsync on.

You search around and people have been RMA'ing their cards instead of reverting back to old drivers. Or just living with it, god forbid.

I mean they have a long way to go (I would think) before they release a WHQL. I'm having all kinds of issues Ive never experienced before. The oddest is my monitor not turning back on after being turned off, when I have it set to turn off on its own after 10 minutes in Windows power settings. Turn that setting off or revert to older drivers and everything is shipshape.

AMD still bad with driver quality, face reality.

However, at least performance is fine. Indeed, people should test out several drivers before RMAing. Im still running on the old 12.10 because so far the newer drivers doesnt seem to be stable enough for my likings. But it will only be a matter of time for the new driver to grow mature. There is good reasons why 12.11 is still in beta phase after so many months. It may work properly but not always, simply have to check out individually.

Back