• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 680 + F.E.A.R. 3 Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zaurkoth

Long time fan of this site, first time complainer! :D

In all seriousness, after scouring the OC forums, I just can't seem to find a solution to my problem... I very recently built myself a new machine with an i7 3770k (running stably at 4.3ghz) and an EVGA GTX 680 (everything stock, 320.18 drivers). So far, everything has worked pretty much flawlessly unless I run F.E.A.R. 3 (Steam copy). Everything works fine, my GPU is hardly being taxed to even 50 - 70% (as expected) and then I'll suddenly get TONS of artifacts... Random rainbow polygons and all sorts of other visual abnormalities that would make any PC builder cry "my video card is dying!"

The odd thing is, in stress testing, in idle, etc... It truly doesn't matter what else I'm doing; not a single artifact. I ran EVGA's OC Scanner taxing all my VRAM for well over 2 hours without a single artifact. My card never goes above 56C in terms of temperature (I have a very aggressive fan curve) and like I said in the beginning of my post, everything is stock in terms of memory/gpu clock. I have my power target set to 132% but even then, during Heaven loops with everything maxed (including tessellation) I never went above 90% power usage/1175mv. No artifacting or strangeness there, either.

I'm not sure if I need to RMA my card or not, but the fact that this is ONLY happening in F.E.A.R. 3 makes me think that there might be something going on that I have no idea how to take on, and maybe you wonderful people might be able to shed some light on my issue. I am truly stumped here and greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you guys so much!

Back