• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 OC High Temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Annhilator

Hey there overclockers! I'am new here and I need some advice.
I currently trying to overclock my old faithful Q6600 to a steady 3.0Ghz
I sort of succeeded just setting my FSB to 333 and my memory to 1:1

I did read up a bit before OC'ing but my temperatures are sky high, at least that's what I think. I was hoping someone could tell me if my temps are quite normal
or that I'am creating some sort of light bulb here.. :shrug:

just in case: Im using a Zalman CNPS 9500A LED CPU cooler
and my Cooler Master centurion 5 atx mid which was about 24 °c inside when I performed a smallFTT test with Prime95 and when I got scared I took this screen after only 2 minutes of full CPU load

Thanks Allready! :)

2eyeyxu.png.jpg

edit* plus this one
10qyzo3.png.jpg

Edit2* plus this
wcihp1.png.jpg

Last edited:
Ditch speedfan and run Realtemp and see what that says. Also need CPUz CPU tab (you have two memory tabs).

I tried to do the same again as in my previous image what resulted in a blue screen while doing a small ftt test after 5 minutes.
So it answers my question a bit.. yes my temps are way to high

any idea's?

here is my cpu z cpu

10qyzo3.png.jpg

You can BSOD for many other reasons outside of temps... What does Realtemp read after 15 minutes?

I cant see that picture like the others. Please post like you did the above.. and run Prime95 for 15 minutes, not the sensor test for 20 seconds. :)

I've added a link for you does that work?

meanwhile im running prime small ftt test for the next 15 minutes

I have the exact same CPU model and I'm running the exact same OC (just DRAM is at 400 MHz). Before going any further into this I agree with EarthDog to have a look at the value Realtemp gives.

There are several possibilities are to what may be causing such bad temps.

(1) This is the most likely culprit: the CPU cooler seating. While the seating problem is not too difficult to fix, if you have not installed an aftermarket cooler before, I'd suggest you first do a bir of reading on applying the thermal paste, e.g. here, and on how to install a CPU cooler - YouTube is probably the best resource for that, you may even found the exact same cooler.

In principle, reseating the cooler is relatively simple: first remove the cooler and clean off all original thermal paste both form the CPU and the cooler. Apply new thermal paste and reseat the cooler.

(2) The cooler fan orientation. Make sure the cooler and its fan are positioned correctly, i.e. not against the natural airflow in your case,

9500_05.jpg .

As unbelievable as it sounds, I have seen rigs with heatsink fans pointing against the airflow in the case. BTW, while mounting the cooler incorrectly in this way will increase the temps, I doubt it could be the sole culprit of that temp range you're seeing

(3) Cooler fan speed. Are you sure the fan is plugged into the CPU Fan slot on your mobo. The 1057 max RPM given by CPUID seems a little low to me, considering that Zalman's official product page lists the fan speed as "1,350rpm ± 10 % ~ 2,600rpm ± 10 %". p.s. again, this could take off a few degrees but won't make a significant difference

I've added a link for you does that work?

meanwhile im running prime small ftt test for the next 15 minutes
Im at the office and it is blocking the link and image.

Tell ya what, just list the max temps after 15 minutes.

:thup:

Actually, looking at the temps in CPUID, to me it seems that the problem is that the CPU cooler fan is not plugged into the CPU FAN slot on the mobo. The min/max temperatures on the cores are ~40/90 but the fan's RPM stays more or less constant.

The fan that comes with the cooler is set to run at 1,350rpm ± 10 % ~ 2,600rpm ± 10 % which is exactly what the CPU Fan mobo slot controls (the mobo tells the fan how fast to run based on the CPU load). It seems that your fan is just happily running at 1,050 RPM.

Here is the schematic diagram for the MS-7345 v1.x board (taken from manual)

Could you check that the cooler fan is plugged into the CPU Fan slot on your mobo?

g7tMHw1.png

hahaha.. I never knew this! my cooler has a adjustable button.. cranked it up to its max now and Im running the 15 minute test now :)

Results: after 15 min of small ftt test

temp
74°c 75°c 66°c 66°c

dist to TJmax
25°c 26°c 33°c 33°c

thats almost a 20°c difference! and it kept stable like this, So I guess I can crack up the Ghz a bit more?

downside: The old hag makes the sound of a passing jet now :D

Last edited:
Those are still quite high (but acceptable). I'm at 3.0GHz (1.325V) with EVO 212+ EVO and after 12 hours of primt95 my max was 50c. If you wanna try to get a few degrees off of those you may try to reseat the cooler with a quality thermal compound (I use MX-4)

p.s. read the manual section about the fan / fan controller, I think you should still be able to plug one of the cables to the CPUFAN slot on the mobo and the fan speed should automatically adjust based on load. The docs says the fan should be at 27.5 dBa at 2,600 RPM - that should be barely audible definitely not a "passing jet"

Back