• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i5 3570k @ 90c stock cooling no OC.... cant be normal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nah it does it anytime i change anything with ram or reset to default. I have tried the XMP profile and I have manually entered the rated timings, it wont post at either. I have to do a memOK! button everytime, and it clocks the ram down to 1098 or something close to that.

edit: also I just noticed in CPUZ that its still bouncing up to 3.95 periodically. But under load it levels off to 3.7. why would it do this?

edit2: and i just crashed after posting that :mad::mad::bang head:bang head

Last edited:
i just crashed again -.- not that you need a play by play. Its frustrating going back to defaults and crashing though. Im starting to think i have a bad memory stick. Memtest works on flash drives right?

i just crashed again -.- not that you need a play by play. Its frustrating going back to defaults and crashing though. Im starting to think i have a bad memory stick. Memtest works on flash drives right?

Yes it does. It could also be your voltage is now just a bit too low to run the turbo boost frequency set by the CPU, although I'm not sure why resetting to defaults would set the voltage to an unusable setting.

Edit: Never liked the Turbo boost feature myself, would much rather explicitly set my desired CPU speed, find the voltage required to do so and call it a day.

well I put 1 stick in and set the XMP profile and it posted 1st try at 1600mhz. Going to do that for each stick and see whats up.
i havent noticed a setting to turn off turbo boost, is it specifically called as such?

edit: also noticed I am back to auto-clocking to 4.2 again for some reason.

Sounds like the board is still trying to auto overclock for you. Just for testing, I would leave the known working memory module installed by itself for now. I would switch AI overclock tuner to manual mode instead of XMP/Auto, set Turbo Ratio to by all cores to 34 -- your stock CPU speed. That should at least get you stable and keep your CPU frequency from jumping all over where it doesn't belong. Once confirmed stable, maybe try increasing the Turbo Ratio to 38 and you should be good to go for a non-overclocked stock setup.

So far so good. I went ahead and turned off turbo boost (i found the setting). Set ratio to 34, had to manually set the ram frequency and timing. left its voltage where it was at, which was auto, but was giving a reading of 1.515.

Booted in fine (thank god) and sitting stable at 3.4 (i dont know why im so happy at a stock clock, but hey... ive been having issues and this is an improvement)

So far so good. I went ahead and turned off turbo boost (i found the setting). Set ratio to 34, had to manually set the ram frequency and timing. left its voltage where it was at, which was auto, but was giving a reading of 1.515.

Booted in fine (thank god) and sitting stable at 3.4 (i dont know why im so happy at a stock clock, but hey... ive been having issues and this is an improvement)

I can only pray you mean 1.155v :shock:

had to manually set the ram frequency and timing. left its voltage where it was at, which was auto, but was giving a reading of 1.515.

ram voltages sir. not cpu :p

looking at that i see no mention of 4x 2gig sticks in the 1600 chart for this MN. Do you think it is possible the board is having issues with the 4 sticks?

Page 2, 8th up from the bottom should be your memory? Looks like it should be good for 4 sticks.

Likely one of the modules (or DIMM slots) is bad and is preventing the other modules from running at their rated speeds. Best thing I can say is plug in 2 for dual channel and swap modules around until it is clear which it is.

Last edited:
There's a page and a half in that link, yes my ram is on the 2nd page half way down, but that says 4gig (2x2gig) there. I guess it's neither here nor there though if it doesn't matter. Just curious if running a lit not listed has any effect on stability.

Also would a bios update change add compatibility? There is 1 update available fort board.

OK new info. I proceeded to install 1 stick at a time into DIMM B1 (Asus recommended slot for 1 stick). I got each stick to POST @ 1600mhz.

I then added the matching stick (determined by serial number) to DIMM B2, POST @ 1600mhz.

Put both sticks into A1/A2. POST @ 1600mhz
Pulled first set, installed the other set into B1/B2. POST @ 1600mhz
Put set 2 into A1/A2. POST @ 1600mhz
Put 1st set into B1/B2. All 4 sticks. POST @ 1600mhz

Is there any possibility that i was getting bad readings because i wasn't matching serial numbers? I assumed 4 sticks of the same model number would all be matching, meaning it didn't matter which slots they went in.

Other than stabilizing the CPU clock that is the only thing I have changed - installing sequential serial numbered sticks into a matched channel.

OK new info. I proceeded to install 1 stick at a time into DIMM B1 (Asus recommended slot for 1 stick). I got each stick to POST @ 1600mhz.

I then added the matching stick (determined by serial number) to DIMM B2, POST @ 1600mhz.

Put both sticks into A1/A2. POST @ 1600mhz
Pulled first set, installed the other set into B1/B2. POST @ 1600mhz
Put set 2 into A1/A2. POST @ 1600mhz
Put 1st set into B1/B2. All 4 sticks. POST @ 1600mhz

Is there any possibility that i was getting bad readings because i wasn't matching serial numbers? I assumed 4 sticks of the same model number would all be matching, meaning it didn't matter which slots they went in.

Other than stabilizing the CPU clock that is the only thing I have changed - installing sequential serial numbered sticks into a matched channel.

Possibly, I've had several cases where I can't even get a board to POST, but I pull the memory out, swap it around a bit and then it works fine. Could just be the way it was seated in the slot that one time. In any case, glad you got it working :thup:

I had almost the exact same issue. I since bought a Coolermaster 212 EVO cooler but it turns out the thermal paste on the stock HS was crap and only 3/4 of the cpu even had any paste on and it looked like it had air bubbles in it. I cleaned it all off and fitted my new cooler with fresh Akasa 455 and it now runs at <70c under full load at 4.34GHZ.

as I said that, I stopped P95, was running fine, but I stopped the torture test and blue screened. Then the system would not POST again. Will not post at all now with 4 sticks.

P95 ran for 2 days and did not crash btw.

That is really strange. I have no idea why it would do that...possibly VCCIO a bit low causing it sometimes not to be able to initialize? Or maybe some kind of intermittent memory hardware problem? :shrug:

Back