• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i5 3570k @ 90c stock cooling no OC.... cant be normal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qlix

Can it?

edit again: Crysis 3 (not BF3) w/ GTX560Ti in SLI @ 975mhz

Last edited:
It's possible with an SLI setup if you don't have adequate air flow. Did you use the supplied thermal paste on the cooler or your own? Are all the pushpins secure on the cooler? You may have to remove the motherboard to check the backside if you do not have a cut out.

I used what was on the HSF at the time... Im about to pull it off and put new stuff on it.

Only thing i had was Ceramique from Arctic Silver, is that crap still good quality stuff? been awhile since ive used that. I suspect i may have had a loose pin though as well. Stupid as crap push pins. But im not 100% sure. Hell Im still not even 100% sure, though they appear to be in all the way.

you likely didnt sit it properly, i have the stock paste and heatsink on my i7 3770k and i run F@H and hottest i have gotten was about 68C and i am in warm costa rica

Im positive the pins are in right now, i pulled the board out of the case and made sure they were in. PLus put on the ceramique. This is what i got.... looking at CoreTemp (yellow and white numbers in task bar) you see im only @ 4.0 and 95c. Not happy.

temps_zps91717eeb.jpg

That's not a good look for stock speeds on a stock cooler. What does it idle at, 40ish C? Is your fan plugged into the motherboard or a fan controller? In your BIOS, is the fan set to change its RPM with temperature or to spin at full speed continuously?

I am plugged into the mobo. And Ive used Asus AI Suite2 to set fan speeds @ 100% at all times.

Are you sure your motherboard isn't overvolting a bit? Some do even at stock settings.

IMG_0128_zps7858c4d1.jpg
IMG_0125_zpse7450e5d.jpg
IMG_0124_zps8070fed3.jpg
IMG_0123_zps398762b8.jpg

Its dusty, but nothing is blocked. I keep them pretty clean. Idle at 41c. I am not sure about the overvolting. how would i check this?

On a side note: the t240mm fan that blows out of the top of the case - I have contemplated swapping it around to pull cool air in and just use the back 120mm and PSU fans to push air out, that would give 3 240mm fans pulling air in with 2 120mm fans pushing air out (not including GPU fans)

There is your problem right there -- 1.28v Vcore is much much too high for an IB on stock cooling. Should be a fair bit below 1.2v. Do you have LLC on Turbo/High or something?

Edit: Also, might want to run CPU-Z at full load to make sure there isn't an auto overclock setting enabled in the BIOS.

Last edited:
it clocks up to like 4.2 on its own for some reason. not sure why i havent changed anything. But i will check LLC

Mine clocked up to 4.2 as well before I overclocked it, but I don't remember what the vcore was. 1.28 looks high though

edit: So this is from a few months ago, I'm not sure if I set to run at 4.4 or if it was the turbo boost (I remember mine boosted pretty high for no reason). But you can see my voltage shown in my CoreTemp is a lot lower than yours.

Might want to check your BIOS and check your CPU options.

Screenshot (linked due to size)

Also cleaning out some of the dust can't hurt :)

it clocks up to like 4.2 on its own for some reason. not sure why i havent changed anything. But i will check LLC

It looks like there may be some auto overclocking being done by the board (or possibly turbo boost? Don't know much about TB honestly regarding voltages or how high it will clock). Either way the CPU should NOT need 1.28v+ to only run 4.2GHz. That voltage would be just fine with a decent aftermarket cooler, but not so fine with a stock cooler.

Last edited:
temps3_zps8a59ea8d.jpg

sometimes you guys make me happy in the pants...... I still dont like what its doing, but i got it to stop clocking up to 4.2 on its own, LLC was set on High for some reason as well.

the thing i dont like that its doing: when I select system defaults and save, and reboot, it wont post. I have to hold down MemOK! button to get it to come back. then it shows me the settings you see. This is what just happened.

That looks better. Still hot, but manageable.

It just sounds like the board was having difficulty detecting the proper memory timings for your memory for some reason. It should save those settings (hopefully) and not do that in the future. If it does, you might have to manually enter your rated memory timings.

Back