• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ghost or Clone a raid array? (stripe)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Um . . . I'm not sure. You'd pro'lly need the latest version of Norton Ghost Corporate to do it, but you would pro'lly need a running array to ghost to. I don't think you could just back that up.

hmm..well i would think thats what a mirror raid setups for. But i dont think its possible to ghost the array, as both hds would need to read simultaneously. Otherwise u'd probably need like 4 hds and back up each seperately.. :burn:

You should be able to ghost it if you have a hard drive to ghost it to. The RAID stuff is done in the bios so it should be seen to any software as one continual drive, and thus be ghostable.

Xprincox said:
hmm..well i would think thats what a mirror raid setups for.

RAID Mirroring (That's RAID-1 I think . . . But it might be RAID-5) is a form of RAID Redundancy. It takes everything on drive 1, and copies it to drive 2, so if drive 1 dies, you can backup from drive 2.

Ghosting a RAID Array is risky. Some people have done it with Norton Ghost 2001 so the latest one might work.

RAID0 = Stripping, fast read/write performance, no back up, 2 HDDs

RAID1 = Mirroring, fast read, slow write, data is always backed up, 2 HDDs

RAID0+1 = Sripping & Mirroring, Fast read/write, back up, 4 HDDs

RAID5 = Stripping with Back up, Fast read/write, if there is a failure on the Stripped array the third HDD can be used to replace either the 1st or 2nd drive, 3 HDDs

sonny said:
RAID5 = Stripping with Back up, Fast read/write, if there is a failure on the Stripped array the third HDD can be used to replace either the 1st or 2nd drive, 3 HDDs

Um . . . I don't mean to nit-pick, but you're a little wrong on that. RAID5 backs up a bit of each other drive on all 3 drives. So if drive 1 dies, it could be rebuilt w/ drives 2 and 3. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Back