• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storage Raid 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

I have this question about RAID 1 storage drive on current computer. Can this 2 hard drive be move to a new computer and work as raid 1? Or its need to configure raid 1 on the new PC?

If this is hardware RAID (using a RAID card), then just move it over. If it's software RAID through the motherboard, It will need to be enabled on the new board. That said, what mobo are you moving from and to?

Thanks for your reply. This is a software raid using Windows via disk management. If I move this 2 hard drive over. The new computer will see it as hard drive and I can create raid 1 (mirror) on this 2 drive right?

If you made it via Windows storage manager then it should work in the same OS or newer. I was moving 2-3 drives between AMD and Intel systems and it was always working. You may need to enter the storage manager and activate offline drives/volumes and later it will automatically check drives, but they will be already usable.
The last time I did that, I disconnected 2x SSD R1, reinstalled OS, connected both drives again, and switched both drives to online in the storage manager. It was everything I did. Volume settings are saved directly on drives, so you don't have to move/copy anything else.

If you made it via Windows storage manager then it should work in the same OS or newer. I was moving 2-3 drives between AMD and Intel systems and it was always working. You may need to enter the storage manager and activate offline drives/volumes and later it will automatically check drives, but they will be already usable.
The last time I did that, I disconnected 2x SSD R1, reinstalled OS, connected both drives again, and switched both drives to online in the storage manager. It was everything I did. Volume settings are saved directly on drives, so you don't have to move/copy anything else.
Thanks so much. This exactly what I want to know.

Back