• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@ Tinman... here is some good reading on radiators and fans to match them with:)
Even though you have 2 UT60's (low FPI), not sure of the mix of fans you have???, how many MCP355 pumps you are running???, and what size tubing you are using????
The easiest help I can give right now, you need to put your fans in a PUSH config. Find a fan filter you like (this is what I use http://www.performance-pcs.com/silverstone-sp-ff121-fan-filter-for-120mm-fans.html#Details ), this will help keep dust out of your rad and protect your fingers from the blades:) Next find a fan grille that you like ( http://www.performance-pcs.com/wire-grills/shopby/fan-size--120mm/ ), they don't have to be fancy or $$$$. All they need to do is protect the other side of your radiator from getting all banged up:)

As I said before " The Path Of The Dark Side Is Not Cheap" :thup:

http://daemonkin.hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-a-radiator-for-pc-watercooling#
and http://www.skinneelabs.com

No need to go with those screamer deltas ....... I have been down that road with big loud fans, they certainly have a place in the hobby but the noise they generate is not always good for your sanity.

You actually have a good well thought out loop for a first go at it. A little tweaking might be needed is all. Most defiantly 2 X 290 + CPU + Motherboard block + higher Ambient temps of summer will defiantly push the limits the higher you go with your OC and is probably why you have a higher temp then I thought you would. Starting over on your OC might just be a good thing as you said as well as RGones suggestion of switching to a push on your fans if possible.

I am thinking that t1nm4n...

...sort of has an idea what will be acceptable to him and what will not be. He is in Usa so speaking with him by phone is not an issue and when I hung-up this early AM he was priming 4.4GHz with CPU_NB and HT Link Freq both at 2600MHz. At that lowered 4.4GHz his temps compared to his 240 AiO were freeken awesome. We sorted the ram 4x4Gig out at DDR3-2133 and as said have already got the CPU_NB raised to match up with the HT Link Freq. So things are coming around.

I looked at his around 4.0GHz P-State voltage and man is it low. Too low probably at 1.2875V. Probably a real non-leaking cpu and not so likely to buzz way up for PLAY. Hehehe. I remember C_Ds 1.291V P-State on an FX-8350 he bought and moved right on to an Air Gamer friend since that low P-State Vcored cpu would not even go past 4.8GHz no matter what Vcore C_D hit it with and we know he is not Voltage Shy. Hehehe.

Hopefully can get "t1nm4n" to 4.8GHz-ish stable since he has to get back to work here PDQ. I just know from all my up 100Mhz at a time and stop watching my Video Editting that 4.8GHz is very muscular. So he is thinking of that speed with absolute stability. 4.8Ghz stable with DDR3-2133 ram and 2600MHz on the CPU_NB and HT Link...well he will not have to give diddley away.

Well that is hitting the highs. He has much better story telling ability than myself, but I wanted to get this down where I don't forget it.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:salute:............:chair:

find myself lacking either small fan mounting studs, or 19/128" drill bit ......

reconfig push/pull venting outside instead of inside.

I do think would help in these times of heat.

I know how that is RGone:(
As I have said earlier, I had the first gen 8320 when it first came out :cool: Like Tinman, I had everything tided into one loop but I had 2x 7950's not 2x 290's:mad: That CPU would run 24/7 @ 4.50GHz with 1.450v:rock: I must have gotten some bad silicon because I would read about others being able to 5.2+ on water:clap: I was like I can do this, I've got the same CPU, I've got it under water, and I got a decent board. I found out real quick :facepalm: that it did not like to be pushed. I started out with a XSPC water kit, I moved on when I had money to replace the different parts. It took time to replace all the crappy parts but when I had finished, it looked nice:) That's when I found out that the 8320 was not a clocker :rain:
To go from 4.50GHz @ 1.450v to 5.00GHz (that's only 500MHz) required 1.7v :eek: I picked up another 8320 around the same time that AMD released a new batch of 8K CPU's (this is when I also got my 8370):thup: That CPU is night and day compared to the 1st one:cool: I have had it @ 5.517GHz with 1.60v:drool:

Awake @ 6:00 a.m. anticipating 1st of 3 annual inspections.
Did some detail apartment cleaning a couple weeks ago.

Without notice, inspection canceled. Wouldn't you know it.
And all that food in-between.
lol.

And What the Hell is up with East of the Great Lakes?
The news and River Valley claims/appears smoke drifting in from Canada!
Not the first time.

need to regroup the day.

While here in Ontario it has been WET that can't be said for all the provinces. There are allot of wild fires burning out west. Haven't heard much of the easter part of the country but doubt they are all Scott free. That would be where the smoke is coming from.

(this is when I also got my 8370):thup: That CPU is night and day compared to the 1st one:cool: I have had it @ 5.517GHz with 1.60v:drool:

That is a sweet cpu and from what I can see not so easy to get one with the newer characteristics of the 8 core FX series. FAB always tends to mature as production time gets longer. They tweak the masks and get a little here and a little there. Might be that the actual silicon is a little better and then the low leakage cpus appear.

These low leakage cpus are awesome for OEMs and Joe but not so good for Jack. If we were not here at OCF then a Joe cpu is just fine. I guess from the beginning I have had the habit of pushing clocks and then reducing the overclock to a reasonable 24/7 overclock. But today it seems that many just do not understand that we who are died in the wool overclockers, do employ reduced clocks for stability. I don't care to be so close to the end of my clock that I am not sure I could even finish this post. The earlier FX's ability for many to bust a big clock for benching and run a reduced rate for 24/7 use was fun. Way fun over nearly set Vcore and change multiplier Intel setups, even if the Intel had some more punch.

I like working buttons and settings. The lingering crop of FX cpus gives me that. Very few people are ever at the very top of any endeavor so to me that ability to PLAY is a giant plus. PLAY without having to watch a pot and keep it from creaming out on my mobo. Hehehe. But it is still strokes for folks. If I needed a pure gaming rig it would be some sort of i5 Intel rig with BIG Video Cards. Economical until you buy the grand theft video cards and generally cool running and does not require a cold running glacial mountain stream running thru a water block to remove heat. Hehehe.

And my last belief is that if one can learn to master buttons and settings, he can overclock anything that is actually overclockable. May have to learn some more or make that different terminology but the basic procedure is the same. If one learns the basics the idea is universal in bringing about an overclock. Raise cpu speed. Raise voltage to stabilize the raised cpu speed and COOL the thing so it runs with raised cpu speed and compensating cpu voltage. That is the whole overclock thing in a nutshell. I was glad to have that explained to me about 20 years ago and the idea has held me in a good position till today.

Ole Faht out.

RGone...ster.

While here in Ontario it has been WET that can't be said for all the provinces. There are allot of wild fires burning out west. Haven't heard much of the easter part of the country but doubt they are all Scott free. That would be where the smoke is coming from.

Ive been to one of these parties before.

early in the day, thin kinda haze set over the river and low in the valley.
tv says smoke from Canada.

Good show RGone.

attempting more slax config here accomplishing small amount of nothing so far.
4 port Ethernet hasn't arrived yet.

As RGone Said, I had that 8320 primin" at 4.4 22x200 1.332v 2600CPU_NB & HT. He was a life saver, through all his experience told me about a RAM setting that has made a night and day difference in how this computer acts. Since this is really like my first Overclock, that 4350 was one and done, didn't really get into it cause I didn't have the cooling, Actually I was just over reacting to temps :screwy: And what I had in my head was all scrambled cause of misunderstandings, I know, I know how can you misunderstand something so simple, trust me I can over analyze it to death and come up with my own screwy conclusions.

This go around I pretty much started with a clean state, took all what I thought I knew, left it outside and took what all of you have ben telling me from the start and going from there. So it's a slow process, cause in a couple of days I got to go back to work and leave my freshly water-cooled system alone with no one to play with it :cry: I know it's gonna throw a couple of parties while I'm gone, just hope it doesn't spring a leak.

I am noticing something (I found interesting) It's not taking the VCore it used to get voltages, but it is taking more Dram V and CPU_NB V than I gave it before. Not a lot, but going from the 4.4 @1.332 to [email protected] took an additional .005v on Dram v and .00625 on CPU_NB, not in stone, but it seems like with 4 stick of 2133 is more taxing on the ram at overclocked speeds, just a guess, no proof one way or the other. This kinda of goes in line with what Most of you have been saying from the get go. And don't go yellin' at me for taking such baby steps, I'll tear it up faster as I learn more and gain some experience, it's just a slow going learning process right now.

As for puttin fans in a push config, not gonna happen, I'd rather loose some performance (and with these fans it's not much) than have to disassemble the entire thing when it comes time to clean all the lint and dust. And if I could learn from others mistakes I would of led a perfect life so far :eek: where's the fun in that :D ? I know how it could of been done for the best results, I tried to make it the easiest for me to work on, and filters, I got that covered in a big way. OuterWearz is the filter media I used when racing RC cars as a pre-filter so it didn't clog up two stage oil filter and restrict airflow (change the tuning). I've made some adjustments to my case already to keep things filtered, another reason why the static pressure fans are needed, while they do let air through, it's not without restriction.

Had to show off filter media again.

IMG_06571.jpg
Edit: on a side not, MSI afterburner is so much less buggy than GPUTweak, should of been using it a long time ago, got both my gpus up to 1100/6200oc @stock V makes a huge difference, and yes I know I should only be working on one thing at a time, and no I'm not doing it while I'm stressing the CPU.

Last edited:
Using 4 sticks of ram is taxing on your NB/ CPU for sure. It's all dependent on the chip itself if it will work or how well it will work. No need to worry or change anything you picked good parts those fans will do fine, might have been better setting them as a push rather then pull but in the end it's not gonna make a big deal of difference and if memory is right then you used acrylic tube in parts of your build it's a moot point, I know I wouldn't be changing it.

My advice now....... go enjoy the system you built you know more about this then you give yourself credit for don't be so hard on yourself.

Cheers....... :cheers:

Appreciate the words, It just feels like I'm taking a feather duster to a hammer fight sometimes with these voltages, but I got so lost when I borked the Bios and flashed it I thought I should take this time to learn something rather than just pushing buttons (which is fun in it's own right :clap:).

I'm under the impression I could make life easier on myself and take out two stick of ram lower clock to 1886 from it's 2133 and push the snot out of the cpu without fearing CPU_NB or DRAM volts, but then I wouldn't have any information on how the CPU_NB and DRAM react at different OCs (here I am over analyzing this again). I also imagine there is a point where the memory will not interfere with overclocks (I'm not going DICE or extreme, just water here) I can attain with this setup, and I imagine it will be easier to find that point at a lower OC then jumpin' to 4.8 with the hammer then losing myself with the memory. I could be wrong, but this is one of those things I will have to figure out on my own I think. Of course it could be a crap CPU or crap memory so nothing will work right :rofl:

Edit: bad grammar :-/

Take it one step at a time ...... Clock first you will see the most from MHZ ...... then tune in your ram. Your CPU / NB will probably fall in somewhere 2400 / 2500 more then that is not needed for day to day use.

The NB gets really, really wonky for me when I clock over 4.6 Ghz.
4.6 is the last call, last safe place for me. After that, it's down hill on my chip.

Now my chip is a 6300 with high leakage, yours? not so much, but I'll bet the same will happen. at higher speeds the NB can get funny quick.
I have run 2400Mhz NB but at a low 4.4Ghz or so, now I can barely run it at 2300 @ 4.7Ghz.

But it'll vary a bit chip to chip. Running hyperpi is a good way to test NB stability.
A faster way is to play Minecraft. If you dart around the world like you play counter strike on high latency, your NB is unstable. The NB feeds the GPUs...

I knew I should of gone the route one thing at a time, but I to try different things. My feather duster approach is a learning exercise. It's paying off so far (I think so at least), I also feel the application of information learned is better than just the learned information alone.

After some work and tweaking, I got this to a nice stable point 2+ hours p95

4.5test.JPG

But now it's time to push this puppy! :D

t1nm4n,
here I am over analyzing this again
to this quote, it's not over analyzing it's learning what your chip likes. If every chip were the same I could just tell you to run your Oc at X volts on the Cpu, Dram and Nb but that isn't the case. The best way to learn this overclocking thing is exactly what your doing. Change something and test to see what it likes, just and FYI my 8350 needs almost .1 Cpu V to run the same clock speed as you are above. You have the temps under contoll so push away!

digging around in my spare parts box, i found a couple of old CPU's that i forgot that i had!
athlon 64 3700+
IMG_20150707_191735.jpg
and an anthlon 64 x2 5600+ that i started to attempt to lap, but then my house got robbed, and the pc was stolen, so i never got around to finishing lapping it
IMG_20150707_191758.jpg

Those Athlons are pretty fun chips to OC I still have a few... I think I may even have a 3700+ lying around myself?!

^looks like it's time to get a new MB so you can check that project off. Looks like it's almost done also, really sucks you got robbed, hope they caught the sorry POS that did it somewhere.

Back