• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cry for me a little, you should have seen the remains of my attempts at delidding 4790k's.....................
what really sucks is that I have one that I botched that will run some times and some times not a thing, when it'll power the board it'll ru, 52,51,48,48........... talk about crying..........

so apparently i got a little bit too aggressive with the razer blade today... got the ihs of the 3700+ off, but i think i took a part of the chip off with it... weird thing is that i dont see any little pieces of the bit that looks destroyed..
View attachment 166170

Could still be a functional processor. My Phenom II 940BE (first soldered de-lid) looked very similar and fired right up no problem.

On these earlier processors, some of the pins on the under side are un-used. Even AM2 processors. My 6400+ (A 4ghz K8 chip) has a missing pin. The sister to the one I have (given to Mr.Scott) had a pin missing on the opposite side of the PCB. Both processors worked.... Both hit 4ghz. No ill effect noticed.

You did a good job!! Now you did your first one.... the rest come apart easier :D

think my fx57 is a soldered processor, or should it come apart just as easy as this one?
edit
nevermind, did a little bit of googling, looks like it isnt soldered, from what i can find... i'll have to give it a go after i see if this chip will post.

Last edited:
@ Silver ---- I have what I call the 2nd gen 8320, I got it around x-mas when AMD had released the updated 8K series. My 1st gen 8320, I got it when they first came out :) My 1st gen will run 24/7 @4.5GHz with 1.45v but to get to 5.0GHz requires 1.7v:( My 2nd gen 8320 will hit 5.5GHz with only 1.6v before my water loop with 290x's becomes overloaded. My 8370 will also hit 5.5GHz with 1.6v, this is why I have ordered the DICE/LN2 pot. How much more headroom do they have left when only they are being cooled????

think my fx57 is a soldered processor, or should it come apart just as easy as this one?
edit
nevermind, did a little bit of googling, looks like it isnt soldered, from what i can find... i'll have to give it a go after i see if this chip will post.

Man I remember spending a great deal of cash on the FX-55. That FX-57 was around 1000$ at release time.... be careful with this one, there's few to be had out there.

Socket F and FX-74 was AMDs very first answer to Intel Quad core processors. This platform I've always wanted to get into, but always had been too pricey. Quite a beastly set up though at the time. Was 1000$ for a pair of them and the boards where just about as much. Now for under 200$ I could build this set up. It's temping but no time for it, I already has a 940 server board with 2 sockets, I have about 6 dual core opterons to play with..... Good stuff. I miss benching and tweaking the older hardware. De-lidding was so common back then..

Honestly, I'm shocked we don't see people lapping FX chips down to the core. I've seen that many times and laughed when there was no solder :D

Man I remember spending a great deal of cash on the FX-55. That FX-57 was around 1000$ at release time.... be careful with this one, there's few to be had out there.

Socket F and FX-74 was AMDs very first answer to Intel Quad core processors. This platform I've always wanted to get into, but always had been too pricey. Quite a beastly set up though at the time. Was 1000$ for a pair of them and the boards where just about as much. Now for under 200$ I could build this set up. It's temping but no time for it, I already has a 940 server board with 2 sockets, I have about 6 dual core opterons to play with..... Good stuff. I miss benching and tweaking the older hardware. De-lidding was so common back then..

Honestly, I'm shocked we don't see people lapping FX chips down to the core. I've seen that many times and laughed when there was no solder :D

i picked up the fx57 for $20 off some dude on craigslist about a year ago, just havent had the time to tinker with it.
edit
oh wow, that fx74 does seem like a pretty cool chip/chips.
and they are actually going for fairly cheap on fleabay... not really seeing any mobos for it though... at least im not seeing any so far.

Last edited:
BUT ........ there is always a but.

The trend that has been seen with the newer low leakage chips has been more ...... I can get there with less volts but that is it. Even those wild kamikaze runs for benching RGone has talked about this are more of a thing of the past. They will run up fast with less volts but when they get there that is it regardless of volts.

Few things I can see as possibly flaws in that thinking.

AMD never sets out to manufacture anything but cream of the crop FX 8 core processors and uses laser to disable parts of FX processor that do not measure up at binning. Be it 2 or 3 or 4 cores, AMD disables as necessary to get the lesser working CPU.

AMD does not sell nearly as many 4 or 6 core cpus as it does FX 8 core processors. Not that I can see and certainly NOT as evidenced by traffic thru these AMD forum threads. Seldom see 4 and 6 core FX.

S_P you seem to want to overclock. So a nearly no leakage processor is n0t what you want to use unless you plan to LN2 it for testing any real speed. Already we have seen the latest batch with little Leakage FX 8 core just do not seem to be able to do the benchmarking at +5.2GHz that the semi-leakers can do on good water cooling.

IF and that is my big IF, you wanted to still go 6 core for lesser money it would be a 6350. I have seen plenty of them from release of 6350 that would GO.

IF it is just money, I would try an FX-8300 or FX-8310 as some of them have had good prices and get into the 4.8GHz range.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yea, the newer fx chips hit a hard wall.
on the other side of the coin they seem to handle higher memory clocks.

Ahh. I see. I know I've seen this mentioned before, but it never even crossed my mind...
So I do want a leaky chip for water then..

Maybe one not as leaky eh? :D

Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

@ Silver ---- I have what I call the 2nd gen 8320, I got it around x-mas when AMD had released the updated 8K series. My 1st gen 8320, I got it when they first came out :) My 1st gen will run 24/7 @4.5GHz with 1.45v but to get to 5.0GHz requires 1.7v:( My 2nd gen 8320 will hit 5.5GHz with only 1.6v before my water loop with 290x's becomes overloaded. My 8370 will also hit 5.5GHz with 1.6v, this is why I have ordered the DICE/LN2 pot. How much more headroom do they have left when only they are being cooled????

Interesting... This seems to go against non leaky chips.

I suppose a lot has to do with pure silicon lottery. :)

Thanks mutt!

sorta leaky for water.
I built a rig for a guy, air cooled, we got an 8350 that would do 4.8 on topshelf air, but 4.8 was it, even on water.
you could pour the coals to it, jack with the fsb, 4.8 was it......

sorta leaky for water.
I built a rig for a guy, air cooled, we got an 8350 that would do 4.8 on topshelf air, but 4.8 was it, even on water.
you could pour the coals to it, jack with the fsb, 4.8 was it......

I'm thinking mine is pretty well locked at 4.5 without going insane on voltage, it could just be my corsair memory really sucks with higher cpu clocks, not sure how that's possible. I tried just about everything under the sun for this 8320 other than giving it more than 1.45v I just can't see jumping from [email protected] to 4.5@ anything over 1.45. I might be wrong but that just seems like a really large increase.

I would of thought lower leakage cpus would overclock easier. If I were getting errors on P95 I probably would increase voltage, but I'm getting OS freezing, to me that's a memory issue so the next time I'm home to play I will have to get better ram to test this out on. Which you think is better for overclocking a cpu THESE or THESE? This is what I have right now. I would like to keep 16g preferable, but if 2x8 stick is still too taxing then I can be talked down to 8g maybe, :rock:. Just about anything is probably better than what I have. :cry:

Edit: I did try 1.5v to no avail, just constant freezing, the only thing I could get to keep from freezing was to change some Digi+ Dram settings, but as I don't know what those really do or how they affect other things I'm not comfortable with them, that and it still froze, just not right away, took 20-45min to lock up on me. Never got any errors when stressing, just complete lock up.

That's how all FX chips are. pour the voltage on and increase mhz. 1.7v would be good up to 6ghz if you can get it cold enough ;)

Could still be a functional processor. My Phenom II 940BE (first soldered de-lid) looked very similar and fired right up no problem.

On these earlier processors, some of the pins on the under side are un-used. Even AM2 processors. My 6400+ (A 4ghz K8 chip) has a missing pin. The sister to the one I have (given to Mr.Scott) had a pin missing on the opposite side of the PCB. Both processors worked.... Both hit 4ghz. No ill effect noticed.

You did a good job!! Now you did your first one.... the rest come apart easier :D

Did something similar to my 165 while delidding and it acts crazy.
Runs fine, does Cinebench and PI Fast but totally loses it's **** if trying to do a run of Super PI or WPrime.

That's why I had to find another and did which was already delidded when I bought it - That one turned out to be freaky too but in a different way. :burn::escape:

I'm thinking mine is pretty well locked at 4.5 without going insane on voltage, it could just be my corsair memory really sucks with higher cpu clocks, not sure how that's possible. I tried just about everything under the sun for this 8320 other than giving it more than 1.45v I just can't see jumping from [email protected] to 4.5@ anything over 1.45. I might be wrong but that just seems like a really large increase.

I would of thought lower leakage cpus would overclock easier. If I were getting errors on P95 I probably would increase voltage, but I'm getting OS freezing, to me that's a memory issue so the next time I'm home to play I will have to get better ram to test this out on. Which you think is better for overclocking a cpu THESE or THESE? This is what I have right now. I would like to keep 16g preferable, but if 2x8 stick is still too taxing then I can be talked down to 8g maybe, :rock:. Just about anything is probably better than what I have. :cry:

Edit: I did try 1.5v to no avail, just constant freezing, the only thing I could get to keep from freezing was to change some Digi+ Dram settings, but as I don't know what those really do or how they affect other things I'm not comfortable with them, that and it still froze, just not right away, took 20-45min to lock up on me. Never got any errors when stressing, just complete lock up.

You want something to play with ....... the benching guys are looking for some of these and are very hard to find ........ mind you pricey .....

http://www.ramexperts.com/g-skill-t...sdram-ddr3-2600-pc3-20800-desktop-memory.html

Till you get into the hard to find kits like the one above they all run pretty close to the same price ...... if it were me I would look for something in the 2133 or 2400MHZ kits if you can find some of the old trident 2400 with 1500 in the serial# you will be laughing other then that a good set of GSKILL 2400 will do you fine. RGone has some favorite he might have links for still. But these popped up with a quick search .......

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231617

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231554

I have a set of these but the dominators instead of Vengenceand they do work with my FX system, that does not mean they will with yours........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 600006072 600006050 600006142 600006069 50001459 600006158

But for stability and assurance they will run the GSkill is your best bet.

You want something to play with ....... the benching guys are looking for some of these and are very hard to find ........ mind you pricey .....

http://www.ramexperts.com/g-skill-t...sdram-ddr3-2600-pc3-20800-desktop-memory.html

Till you get into the hard to find kits like the one above they all run pretty close to the same price ...... if it were me I would look for something in the 2133 or 2400MHZ kits if you can find some of the old trident 2400 with 1500 in the serial# you will be laughing other then that a good set of GSKILL 2400 will do you fine. RGone has some favorite he might have links for still. But these popped up with a quick search .......

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231617

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231554

I have a set of these but the dominators instead of Vengenceand they do work with my FX system, that does not mean they will with yours........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 600006072 600006050 600006142 600006069 50001459 600006158

But for stability and assurance they will run the GSkill is your best bet.

Just did an RMA on some of the older style Tridents with 1500 in the serial.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231259

Replacements inbound and will see what I get. Those sticks were defective right out of the package and as soon as I saw they were no good I requested the RMA. The egg approved it and took care of the rest. Except for me sending them off, they handled it all including paying the shipping costs.

I've got a set of the new style Tridents.....1500 serial 2400 10 12 12 31 that will run some great numbers...... I Think 9 9 9 24 1T @ 2400 or was it 22XX ish..... I can't remember right now been too busy the last bit to play and can't remember. The new Tridents with 2500 in the serial are not quite as good or at least the set I had wasn't.

2500's aren't all that.
I have a set or two of those - OK for regular use or even gaming but for extreme stuff, not really.
If you can find a set of 1040's you'll be one happy camper.

Unfortunately that how it normally goes unless you can look at a set before buying.
If ordering from an online vendor, it's luck of the draw as to what you get but normally if a given set has a particular IC in it while others are buying it at the time you should get the same IC's when you buy a set like that.
However know the maker can change IC's at any time during a production run with a given model of sticks so nothing is guaranteed.

Back