• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

INTERRUPT problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silentzero

Registered
hey guys,

I lately upgraded to win2k and I have now run into a spot of trouble with some games running on it. I know that win2k isn't exactly the most compatible platform for gaming, but the errors I get are the same in almost every game, apart from some OpenGL games oddly enough.

When I play Direct3D games, (for example Max Payne), it works fine. I get great FPS, etc. However, now and again the game will stop for less than a split second, and then speed up to compensate for the stuff that it lost while stopping - e.g in Max payne: You walk down a street, suddenly it jerks, and you're 4 steps further ahead than what it looked like. Also, any sound files being played or activated during this miniscule jerk period gets sped up rapidly, so it sounds like a chip munk (it's very, very scary :D).

I asked my Computer Science teacher today, and he said it might be a resource conflict and something about interrupts. Well I checked the interrupts, and it seems that most of my devices (if not all) are on the "09" interrupt, and that there are no conflicts.

I have tried every single combination of driver sets possible, and I always get the same problem :f

I have an ASUS A7V133 motherboard, an ASUS Geforce3 ti500, a Tbird 1400 Mhz and 640 megs of SDRAM, and RAID 0 controlled HD's.

I would appreciate any kind of help here, THANKS, it's really bugging me!

I've heard of this problem before. Win2k seems to want to dump ALL the interupts on IRQ9..and you can't change it, because it uses the APCI settings in the BIOS to overide any manual settings you want to make.

Check your BIOS menus, and if you have APCI enabled, disable it. You will then have to manually set each IRQ for every device you have installed...and the best of luck..phew is it worth it for an occaisional jump in graphics? you decide.

:beer:

ps check this thread on this forum IRQs

Back