• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I bought a Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC at amazon.fr last week, luckily it has unlockable shaders. It was an Amazon warehouse deal, so maybe more cards will come in that are potentially unlockable. Anyway, I flashed the Vapor-X 290X Tri-X BIOS (11226-10-40G), now I am searching for the BIOS of the Vapor-X 290X Tri-X OC Version (11226-09-40G). Would be great if anyone had it and could send it to me / upload it somewhere. Thanks!
One of these might be what you're looking for:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...0X&interface=PCI-E&memType=GDDR5&memSize=4096

Are there any differences between the OC and non-OC BIOS' other than clocks?
If not, why not just overclock it with a MSI Afterburner or Sapphire TRIXX profile? When I ran my unlocked 6950 I used a 6950-clocks BIOS and then just overclocked it with AB up to 6970 speeds and it worked fine. Either one of those apps can handle custom fan curves too.

Are there any differences between the OC and non-OC BIOS' other than clocks?
If not, why not just overclock it with a MSI Afterburner or Sapphire TRIXX profile? When I ran my unlocked 6950 I used a 6950-clocks BIOS and then just overclocked it with AB up to 6970 speeds and it worked fine. Either one of those apps can handle custom fan curves too.

The differences are clock speeds and 21mV more by default. Applying these changes with afterburner works flawlessly but I am a fan of BIOS solutions. And it's kind of hard to accept that this BIOS is nowhere to get....

User id: banisherlord
GPU type: 290
Brand and model: MSI r9 290 gaming 4g Non-Ref
GPU-Z validation: *link*
3D Mark 11P link: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9177449
3D Mark 11P graphics score: 16743
3D Mark Firestrike link: N/A
3D Mark Firestrike graphics score:N/A

I am kind of new to the overclocker forums, this is the first thread I have actually posted on. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has the same or close to the same card as me that would like to discuss overclocking and such in a more lengthy setting. If so message me here or at my profile email if you would be interested.

My Score i think is a bit high for this model on stock cooling, let me know what you guys think. I may have just won the silicon lottery though.

Any input would be appreciated.

The only time my MSI 290 really heats up is STALKER. Without an FPS limit it runs at 250-300fps so the VRMs get toast even with a custom fan profile.

The only time my MSI 290 really heats up is STALKER. Without an FPS limit it runs at 250-300fps so the VRMs get toast even with a custom fan profile.

Stalker just added Vsync in latest multipatch for both games, I can finally play them yay. First one is a bit out dated but so far im kinda liking it, cant wait for call of pripyat in DX11.

As for temps my card doesnt toast even with OCCT gpu stress test which is 100% load.

Hi folks, been some time away from gpus since I sold mine...tough financial problems at home.
I'll update that spreadsheet.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi folks, been some time away from gpus since I sold mine...tough financial problems at home.
I'll update that spreadsheet.

I guess this is my first post here, thought I may have already posted something but hey lol. Went from a Gigabyte 7950 WF3 to a ref Diamond 290x, added the kraken G10 along with the Thermaltake Water 3.0 performer, modified the stock plate and FujiPoly pads since I actually got higher VRM1 temps with the Gelid 290x heatsink. All in all gpu core rarely sees over 54C and VRM1 may hit 62C during a 2-3hr session of BF4. Also swapped out the stock thermaltake fans with a pair of Scythe Kaze 3000rpm to help keep temps down. Will be looking for a better 92mm fan to replace the NZXT that came with the Kraken to see if that can help cool the vrm's a bit more.

Crazy fans on that cooler! :D

Gotta love the gpu with 38mm thick fans. Got pics?

- - - Updated - - -

Crazy fans on that cooler! :D

Gotta love the gpu with 38mm thick fans. Got pics?

I'm looking for a new GPU. R9 290X looks like a right choice, but maybe I should wait for Nvidia's GTX 970? I should be priced at the saime point (probably) and the GTX 970 will be much newer. But I don't like to wait, I want to get my new pc now :D. What do you guys think?

I think you should start your own thread as this is a thread for owners of R9 290/290x cards. :p

But to answer, the GTX 970 has been out for months now. Its uses nearly half the power of a 290x and performs only a couple % slower.

Oops, looks like my knowledge is a bit out of date :D. Thank you very much and sorry for the interruption and off-topic :/. Still new at this forum.

No worries!

Check out our front page as we have reviewed a couple of them as well as a few 290x cards. :)

Back