• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello,

I noticed on my new motherboard there is a device in device manager with an exclamation mark and obviously this is related to the "Intel Management Engine Interface" drivers gigabyte offers.

I researched about this, and it's of no use to me, my question is, is it needed? What is the recommendation on this? There is no option to disable this in bios, so I reckon it's necessary?

Thanks,

:D My main point was that some of the articles discussing IMEI mentioned that the chip itself is responsible for many functions in the system, making it sound like a core component, without explaining those 'many functions'.

From what I could gather, it's mainly used for remote management, even while the machine is turned off. I admit, great idea.. but I don't need it on my personal machine.

Anyway, I never installed the windows driver and I'm not planning to. I wonder why the chip does not have any options in bios, we should be able to disable it.

Generally it can also be used for in-OS overclocking etc as well. If you won't use it I don't see any reason to install it.

Back