• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Updates- Should I install these?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have Windows 7 SP1.

1. I have IE v 8.0 installed, do I need to install 9 or 10, if I'm going to install v11 using Windows Updater program?

I use FireFox for my browser and only switch to IE when there's a site that doesn't work on FF, which happens like 3 times a year.

2. Should I install the following updates?

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 ?
Cumulative Security Updates for ActiveX Killbits ?
Definitions Update for Windows Defender ?

I could have sworn one of these MS software didn't work well for XP Pro, hence my questions.

I have never used either when I had Windows XP Pro, however I haven't owned Windows 7 that long, and I realized that there are some security updates which should be installed as it's been a while.

I use Kaspersky AV 2013 and Maleware Bytes Pro editions if that helps anyone answer my question.

Thanks in advance!

I uncheck Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool because I rely on my own (better) detection tools, it's a shame this option cannot be disabled and you have to UNCHECK it every single month.

I disable Windows Defender for the same reason, therefore updating something that is disabled makes no sense.

You can update ActiveX Killbits.

Thanks for the tips. I remember doing the disabling for XP Pro, but I'm new to Win 7, so I wasn't sure.

Once I disable Win Defender, do I need to do anything in Windows's Action Center in relation to my KAV software. My KAV is already listed in the Action Center and checked, ie monitored by Windows to make sure it's on/off, like in XP Pro.

I disabled Defender, and Win7 popped up a dialog box suggesting I go to the Action Center. I'm assuming this is a standard box w/no real meaning based on the above information I provided.

Last edited:
I use Avira freeware Antivirus and Comodo freeware Firewall. Because of that, in Windows 7, this is all I do:

* Start Menu > Run… > services.msc > Scroll down to Windows Defender and double click on it > Stop > then (in the middle of the window) where it says "Startup type:" SELECT: Disabled > OK

* Start Menu > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall, disable it (along with Defender which was disabled earlier) if you're going to use third party software, since these Microsoft programs intercept incoming traffic but do not offer an option to intercept personal data being sent *out* from your PC.

Windows Firewall > Turn Windows Firewall on or off > Turn off Windows Firewall for both options > OK > Advanced Settings > Windows Firewall Properties > Firewall state: Off > OK

Thanks for this. I will look into Comodo. Any downsides with it being freeware ?

Avira Antivirus is difficult to use but their definitions match and beat most pay-for alternatives.

Last time I checked Comodo Firewall freeware beat all pay-for firewall software.

Here's how I install Avira:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7580024&postcount=4

And here's how I install Comodo.
Double click on Setup.exe to install the program > OK > UNCHECK everything.
Do not change DNS servers. Do not enable Cloud Based Behavior Analysis.

BEFORE CLICKING ON Agree and install ** CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE INSTALLATION here. **

UNCHECK: Install COMODO GeekBuddy and COMODO Dragon > Back > Agree and Install

*Reboot the computer*

First import any saved configurations if you have them:
Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Tasks > Configuration > Right click onempty white window > Import > Browse to previously saved configuration settings file > Open and wait for it to be imported, then click on the imported configuration > Activate

Otherwise, set your custom configuration:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Tasks > General Settings [upper left] > User Interface >
UNCHECK: Show messages from COMODO Message Center
UNCHECK: Show welcome screen on startup
UNCHECK: Show desktop widget
UNCHECK: Play sound when an alert is shown

Updates > UNCHECK everything

> Security Settings > File Rating Settings > UNCHECK everything

Back