• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen turns off after Windows update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Not sure what is happening with my PC what I have done prior to this issue was.

chkdsk - reboot then login to my PC (was working fine) chkdsk found a few files that were not indexed and moved a couple
sfc /scannow found some files that needed to be repaired, says everything was fixed.

Did the most recent updates for Windows 7 one was a malicious tool remover and the other a windows defender update.

Rebooted my machine it gets to the login screen then im not sure if the screen just blacks itself out as no cursor on screen and the system is still functioning or it BSOD's and the screen goes black.

Prior to all the above windows updates were installing and working without issues.

Either way I did a system restore and the computer is working again just like normal. Any ideas what could be causing this? Not a graphics/screen issue as the system has been working flawlessly.

All drivers etc are up to date, I was getting my login screen showing an avastupdater login for some reason but after the system restore it went away. I normally disable all antivirus related software to ensure updates have no problems (part of my process that I have been doing for years).

Any ideas what could be causing this ? or are new MS updates for Windows 7 made to try and mess up the OS to get me on Windows 10? lol.

Cheers,

Bandit.

Just a thought/guess. It could be that a driver is not compatible with an update. It could be an audio driver just as easily as a video or chipset driver.

So a monitor driver wouldn't be to blame?

The monitor im using is an LG branded monitor. I installed it using the driver that was provided and updated it, after a day or so my system BSOD and I noticed on the next boot it changed the monitor driver back to the generic one. I have already fully removed the driver and reinstalled to ensure it didn't have any problems with it. I ended up forcing the driver over the generic one and it has been working no problems. Would I lose any function if I just stuck with the generic driver?

I am not sure why my system was changing it to the generic driver to start with since I double checked model number etc to ensure it was the correct one.

Would running sfc /scannow mess with Windows updates? I think I might have had it running while it was doing the OS updates I figure sfc fixes win update stuff if its broken? only thing I can think of that might have been that messing with it if there were files to fix?

So a monitor driver wouldn't be to blame?

The monitor im using is an LG branded monitor. I installed it using the driver that was provided and updated it, after a day or so my system BSOD and I noticed on the next boot it changed the monitor driver back to the generic one. I have already fully removed the driver and reinstalled to ensure it didn't have any problems with it. I ended up forcing the driver over the generic one and it has been working no problems. Would I lose any function if I just stuck with the generic driver?

I am not sure why my system was changing it to the generic driver to start with since I double checked model number etc to ensure it was the correct one.

Would running sfc /scannow mess with Windows updates? I think I might have had it running while it was doing the OS updates I figure sfc fixes win update stuff if its broken? only thing I can think of that might have been that messing with it if there were files to fix?

Possibly, if it sees data as not proper. I've been known to go as far as uninstall the update, run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, run sfc /scannow and
make sure it reports "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." then run Windows Update again. Had to do that with the March, 2020 update! As March, 2020 had a botched update.

My method is the best way to get out of a corrupted Windows 10 state, without doing a clean-install.

With Windows 7? Not so easy.

Last edited:
The dism cmd won't mess anything up will it just fix things?

What does it fix exactly just system files? like it won't mess with personal docs etc right?

Internet saying this isn't on Windows 7, internet suggesting running system readiness tool, but does it mess with BCD?

The dism cmd won't mess anything up will it just fix things?

What does it fix exactly just system files? like it won't mess with personal docs etc right?

No, that DISM command won't mess anything up. It won't mess with docs and the like. And don't need to touch BCD.

DISM is on Windows 7, to my knowledge. IIRC, it's intended for pretty much anything post-XP.

Ok great, doing the healthcheck/scan function will do just that scan then tell me if there is issues before doing anything right?

Ha, I had my BIOS reset on one of Winder's updates last year.........

What? I never heard of that! But there does seem to be an issue where rebooting Windows 10 and Windows 10 renegotiating with the router, results in an apparent router firmware kernel panic and reboot. Possibly an update resulting in the "router crash bug".

When SFC reported a problem:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

I think that command string is not for Windows 7 but for Windows 10. Windows 10 has the native ability to mount system images.

Bandit, I agree with a previous poster. My guess would be some kind of driver issue connected with the updates. Try the updates again but this time uncheck any drivers in the list until other updates are installed. Then go back and add them back in one by one until you find the culprit.

I think that command string is not for Windows 7 but for Windows 10. Windows 10 has the native ability to mount system images.

Bandit, I agree with a previous poster. My guess would be some kind of driver issue connected with the updates. Try the updates again but this time uncheck any drivers in the list until other updates are installed. Then go back and add them back in one by one until you find the culprit.

Only updates that I am installing from Windows update is one for defender and the other being a malicious tool update/remover thing. Everything else works fine, boots up ok have had an odd BSOD here and there but not able to establish the cause. With the BSOD's I have had they were driver related but all my drivers seem to be in working order with the exception of the monitor one being odd where its defaulted back to the generic one for no reason yet works fine when I force the proper driver for it.

I've tried the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command prompt string in Windows 7 and it doesn't do anything.

To mount an image in Windows 7 you have to go through some more rigamorow. I remember having to do that when helping another forum member slipstream updates into Windows 7.

Updates worked this time, tried dism one created a log either scan/check health the other did nothing, restore health also didn't work.

Must have been sfc messing with things when the updates were going. So far so good anyways.

Back