• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 7850 dying/dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tuffluck

Registered
I have a Sapphire Radeon 7850, it has been OC'd at 1200/5600 for about 1.5 years until 6 months ago when it got unstable and started to crash. I backed it down to 1160/5400 stable, no crashes ever. I also took the stock heatsink off and applied AS5 and have good results until lately I saw temps under load getting up to around 75c. I think the highest I ever noticed was 76c once, but that is still within safe limits. Still no crashes.

Today I played BF4 for a good 3 hours and after I was done I walked away from the computer. I came back a few hours later and the monitor was in the standby mode but the computer was on. Opened up the hood and the video card fans were spinning, but it was not providing any picture. Tried reseating and such, turning off/on, no luck. Then I plugged in my old 3850 and the PC started right up, indicating it was a problem with the card.

I've had the card for 2 years, and yes I have abused it but it's been reliable and any time it shows instability issues I back it down. It has been rock solid since the 1160mhz tuning and it would shock me if it just up and died. What do you think? Is there any way to test to see if the GPU itself is still working? Don't know how that would work if no picture, but thought I should ask.

Don't you get any beeps from the BIOS to indicate anything most BIOS' usually have so many beeps to say it's a GPU RAM issue which is could be, I've had a a 9600GT die on me this way everything was fine but next day it wouldn't power up at all and I got (I think) 3 long beeps which for the BIOS on my old board was VGA RAM issue.

Did you ever check the temps on the VRM's (if that's possible)? I'd imagine overclocking that far must put more stress on them as well.
Sorry to hear about your 7850 though, at least you have an excuse to upgrade now.

Thanks. I never saw the temps on the ram. Is there really anything else I can do to maybe bring it back to life or is it pretty evidently done for? I see people buy dead cards all the time, figure there is some trick out there to try.

No, no burn smell. And it was always within safe temps per my monitoring software...

Look around on the board for bulging or blown caps or any discoloration on the PCB, if one or more of the caps are blown you could replace them. Unfortunately, these things happen and sometimes they just die. I had a motherboard that was never overclocked and run at cool temperatures just stop working as well as an older Gpu that was also never overclocked.

Thanks for your help. Apparently sapphire has a 2yr warranty period. If I sent it to them would they be able to see that I had it overclocked and/or see that I changed the TIM? Not sure how they could see the OC if the unit doesn't power on, and not sure they would know the TIM installed isn't their own...

They can't tell if it was overclocked and they may be able to see if the TIM was changed but what do you have to lose? Worst case scenario is they say they wont cover it, it's nothing more then a nice paper weight now.

Back