• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA 2011 vs LGA 1150?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creecher

Lately ive been feeling like my computer is being held back my cpu/mobo, and im thinking its time for an upgrade!

ive been looking at the 4770k and that seems to be the crowd favorite, but i was looking and the 1150 platform seems to be seriously lacking some pci lanes, i have 2 4gb 770's and a sound card, and i might throw my old 285 back in for physX if it will work for it, so im thinking 2011 may be my best bet?

if i go 2011 what processor should i get, i7 4820, or 4930? if it is noticeably worth the money I can justify the cost

also, ill need a new mobo and ram, but ill cross that bridge on another sub

also, whats the best air/closed water cooler out there right now? i cant seem to find anything consistently reliable out there?

I forgot how much research and headache an upgrade takes! :shrug::comp:

thanks in advance to everyone!

If I were going socket 2011... I would want to run the 6-core 4930K.

I suppose the only reason I would get a 4820 would be due to budget restraints with the idea of selling off the the 4-core cpu to be replaced the 6-core at a later date.

Between a 4820 and a 4770K I would lean toward the newer Haswell/1150 arch. I heard that Intel may be moving up the release schedule for the new X99/Haswell-E platform... So you might want to wait a just a little longer and consider that upgrade route?

I prefer custom water setups... :thup: but I also run some rigs on air coolers and I have a Corsair H110 (AIO) that seems to work pretty well.

Do you think the 4930k is better than the 4770k? i dont mind spending money, i only upgrade about every 5 years, ill get new gpus before i get a new mobo/cpu again

when is the new x99 coming out? i guess i could wait, its supposed to be ddr4 as well right?

I thought intel was moving up the haswell refreshes and that the Haswell-E is still due for Q3. It is a tough situation... the x79 has been out for awhile now to be mastered and fine tuned. The x99 claims it will support DDR4 but we will see on top of that all the new stuff that comes out for the x99 will be later improved upon two-3 years later. Like I said it is tough, because if you keep waiting you will always be waiting.

If I was to get the 2011 though, go for the 6 core, it does overall out perform the 4770k. You already state the x79 will better support SLI giving you more PCI-e lanes and regardless if the x79 doesnt support 3.0 natively manufactures add controllers for usb 3.0.

As for the CPU cooler, the best fan cooler for price and performance has been the CM 212 Evo.

For closed loop coolers(CLC)/all-in-one(AIO): Corsairs H100i or their new H110 have a pretty good rep.

Last edited:
Clock for clock, Haswell beats out the 4930K. Remember, the 4930K is based off of IVYBRIDGE, which is a few % slower clock for clock. It is not until you get into something that you can use more than four cores when the 4930K will show its might.

As far as multiple GPUs and not enough lanes, that is what a PLX chip is for on that (Z87) platform. Just buy a board that has one and you will have no problems running 3 cards... though, I wouldn't run a 3rd card just for PhysX in the first place as I am sure 2 770's can easily handle the load there.

As far as multiple GPUs and not enough lanes, that is what a PLX chip is for on that (Z87) platform. Just buy a board that has one and you will have no problems running 3 cards...

Isn't it generally recommended not to use PLX for only two cards due to the latency increases? I could be 100% wrong, I thought I read that somewhere.

Indeed, but not when you are making mountains out of molehills. :)

I also do not see any concrete numbers in that thread.

We know that using the chip does increase latency, but it certainly isn't a problem outside of perhaps benchmarking (which that guys mentions... 3dMark).

Last edited:
Back