• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an i5 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Louiskline

Registered
So I'm very new to overclocking, and I've been looking at guides for around an hour. I'm not confident in any one i have found so i was hoping to be pointed in the right direction here. i have an i5 2500k processor and a Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 Motherboard. I don't know how to check how good my fans are, but they seem pretty basic. Thanks

Louiskline, welcome to the forum. This is a pretty easy guide to follow. What are you cooling the Cpu with, is it the stock heatsink?

I have the same motherboard and it overclocks great my last CPU did 5.0 GHz. We need to know what cooling you have for the CPU.

I attached a picture of the fan/heat sink. I should probably clean my computer out though haha. here is a link too: Edit: here are my other fans i have in the system as well. i don't know if they matter as much. the fourth image is the back of the third image on the back of the computer.

Last edited:
Louis please host the pictures to the forum here is how. I could only see one picture and that was of the graphics card, which has a fan on it.

all of my pictures exceed the size limit, and i don't know how to make them smaller. i forgot to post the second link in my last post. here are both of the imgur links, if they still don't work i'll figure the size problem out.
Open them in microsoft paint and resize them. That way they don't become dead pics eventually and maybe some one else can benefit from them.

Alright, i didn't know they would become dead links. sorry. i also just cleaned everything, so just assume it would be running without all the dust

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

Ok so you have a liquid cooler, that should be good. First and foremost before you even attempt to overclock. CLEAN IT! Overclocking will increase the heat the cpu produces you're going to need to help it out by getting all that dust out of there.

Where is the liquid cooling? i bought this a few years ago with little knowledge. i still have little knowledge lol. I took the pictures this morning. This afternoon i went out bought some condensed air and a pastry brush and cleaned it pretty thoroughly to my knowledge

You will need programs CPU-Z, Real Temp, and prime 95. Then overclock to 4.1GHz and see what your temp is running with prime 95 started. To overclock go into Bios and just increase the multiplier.

Your liquid cooling is the CPU with hoses.

ok, i have hwmonitor and prime 95 but i can download the others. One thing i should mention though is that my BIOS is fairly behind. i have a F2 version. i checked with the manufacturer of the motherboard and their recommendation for the combo with i5, and they said f5 is what i should get. I tried installing it but it said it wasn't compatible with x64. I couldn't find an option to pick x64. Should i focus on installing the f5 first or does it not matter?

Good to know it should be f11 not f5, but the main problem still exists. It won't let me install after extracting to downloads. says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher". I submitted a ticket on gigabyte's website describing the problem but they haven't gotten back to me yet as it hasn't even been 24 hours since i posted it.

You can install the Bios update with the USB on the Bios startup screen F8 Q-FLASH.

Last edited:
I had it downloaded, but i didn't put it on a USB. should have figured that's what u meant, but "The USB" made it sound like something else i didn't know about haha. Gigabyte responded to me and showed me a software that picks the driver for you, and i assume picks x64 as well. I don't have a usb stick so if this doesn't work ill just go buy one

Back