• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which socket path to follow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

The awesome way Intel keeps jumping around with sockets, I'm being cautious which I should switch to next.

Im currently on LGA1155 with a 3770K. Should I move on with 2011 or 1150?

For gaming? 2011 shouldn't be a consideration IMO. The board is more expensive, you need(or should get) quad channel memory so that is more expensive as well and for the same performance. ;)

At this point, for a gamer, Go Z97 and 4770K or 4790K. The Z97 platform will support Broadwell in 2015 so that is the most fiscally responsible platfrom IMO.

am3+ is going to be the way to go all amd's fastest chips will be compatible with this socket for a LONG time ;)
:rofl:

in all seriousness i do agree that z97 is the way of the future :) the immediate future anyhow. (e.g. next year or so which is a long time for computer crap)

I've finished looking at upgrade paths and z97/1150 is the way to go right now, beyond broadwell, nobody knows.
2011 is for those that NEED 8 working threads gaming NEEDS only 4.

Same decision here....8 cores would be a fun toy, but for me it is more fun to get the new tech first, ie broadwell. As long as performance gets new cpu tech first, I will stay with it, not to mention DC here soon and enthusiast doesnt even get haswell e til later.

yes, rge my 8 core fx 8350 is a stomper and games very well indeed but the most cores needed for gaming is 6 right now and that is only in one game, everything else is four or less.

I can tell you my 1150 i5-4670K @ 4.2GHz and z97 mobo is so far blowing my mind with gaming.

Of course, I'm coming from an FX-4100.

Back